What's new

Revisiting Blades

Aloha,

About 10 years ago I converted from an electric razor to a DE razor. During that time of discovery I tried different brands of blades. The brand I settled on was Feather. I purchased a sample pack of blades and tried them all. The only one I couldn’t get in a sample pack was the Wilkinson Sword Classic so I ordered 100. It was fairly cheap and I was sure I would love that blade. However, I remember it wasn’t as sharp as the Feather and a bit more scratchy. So I stored them away thinking I would try them again. During the years I purchased several 100 packs of different brands (Astra SP, Derby Premium, Gillette Platinum, and Lord). Except for the Gillette Platinum, none of the rest impressed me enough to replace the Feather (the ones purchased through Jatai International).

Then about 3 years ago I picked up a straight razor and dropped the DE razors altogether.

One and a half years ago I retired and stopped shaving period. I didn’t see the need. At the beginning of December I got myself back into a routine that included shaving every day. Trying to go back to the straight razor was too scary so I picked up the DE razors again. Of course I started with the Feather blades and the Gillette Platinums. But I decide to revisit the others since they were just sitting there. Maybe it’s that my technique is better than when I started but, I found I loved the Derby Premiums. Sharp and smooth it’s become my biggest sleeper. The Wilkinson Sword Classic is also a fantastic smooth blade though not as sharp as the Derbys. The Lords are smoother than I remember but the least sharp of the rest. They go very well with my more aggressive slants and adjustables wide open. I just loaded an Astra SP in my new Rockwell T2 and I love it.

Unfortunately, I read a post on the straight razor forum that made me feel like a chicken (no guts). So today, I picked up my straight razor and have fallen in love with it all over again. Yes, it was very slow and scary at first but, by the end of the shave it was like I never left. So here I am with hundreds of DE blades of different brands and all I want to do is go back to my straights.

So now I have a dilemma (I know such a first world hard choice problem). I’m thinking that I will use the straight razors on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. The DE razors on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. (I always made it a point to take a break from shaving on Saturdays).

I guess it just took time away from it all to truly appreciate shaving again.

Happy Holidays!!!

Aloha :)
I am getting a Kai Kasho that uses AC blades
maybe one day a straight but with two kids busy life don't want the hassle at this moment of blade maintenance
but love reading the straight stories or folks using them :) as so many love the comfort and fun straights bring
I am sure I will try them one day

and see how I like the Kai I have coming in first but figure having a DE around all the time just to have is OK anyway

sadly moved away from the islands in my 40s :(
west side Maui also Lanai back in the 90s :)

whats funny is back when I was young (in the 70s) I remember going to Oahu for Xmas with the parents and Santa throwing candy out the fire engine and the next day all the ants eating the ones that did not get picked up :) hahahaha funny how ya remember odd things like that :)

Mele Kalikimaka and Houli Makahiki Hou

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Seems like you're golden @serikloo ! Relaxing shaves with a straight and lazy shaves with a DE. If I were in your shoes I'd be a bit less structured, when I retire I'll be content to have absolutely no idea what day of the week it is for a stretch. But that's me. Happy shaves!

Aloha,

About 10 years ago I converted from an electric razor to a DE razor. During that time of discovery I tried different brands of blades. The brand I settled on was Feather. I purchased a sample pack of blades and tried them all. The only one I couldn’t get in a sample pack was the Wilkinson Sword Classic so I ordered 100. It was fairly cheap and I was sure I would love that blade. However, I remember it wasn’t as sharp as the Feather and a bit more scratchy. So I stored them away thinking I would try them again. During the years I purchased several 100 packs of different brands (Astra SP, Derby Premium, Gillette Platinum, and Lord). Except for the Gillette Platinum, none of the rest impressed me enough to replace the Feather (the ones purchased through Jatai International).

Then about 3 years ago I picked up a straight razor and dropped the DE razors altogether.

One and a half years ago I retired and stopped shaving period. I didn’t see the need. At the beginning of December I got myself back into a routine that included shaving every day. Trying to go back to the straight razor was too scary so I picked up the DE razors again. Of course I started with the Feather blades and the Gillette Platinums. But I decide to revisit the others since they were just sitting there. Maybe it’s that my technique is better than when I started but, I found I loved the Derby Premiums. Sharp and smooth it’s become my biggest sleeper. The Wilkinson Sword Classic is also a fantastic smooth blade though not as sharp as the Derbys. The Lords are smoother than I remember but the least sharp of the rest. They go very well with my more aggressive slants and adjustables wide open. I just loaded an Astra SP in my new Rockwell T2 and I love it.

Unfortunately, I read a post on the straight razor forum that made me feel like a chicken (no guts). So today, I picked up my straight razor and have fallen in love with it all over again. Yes, it was very slow and scary at first but, by the end of the shave it was like I never left. So here I am with hundreds of DE blades of different brands and all I want to do is go back to my straights.

So now I have a dilemma (I know such a first world hard choice problem). I’m thinking that I will use the straight razors on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. The DE razors on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. (I always made it a point to take a break from shaving on Saturdays).

I guess it just took time away from it all to truly appreciate shaving again.

Happy Holidays!!!

Nothing wrong with mixing it up. I go a step further, and usually don't decide on the day's tool (straight razor, shavette, DE, SE) until I'm looking in the mirror.

Schedule?...we don't need no stinkin' schedule. 😄

Glad you rediscovered your wet shaving groove, welcome home, and Merry Christmas to you. 🙂

lasta

Blade Biter
I do it all the time!

Although, I've never felt a dull butter knife turn into greased lightning, I do occasionally get the "hey, it feels sharper than I remember".

Top Bottom