What's new

Simple Q, for the older folks here

I am 30, and stated using DE 2 years ago (bought a CAdillac and stated using my dads 45 year old razor.. Old life crisis much ? )

i was talking to a friend whos 49 and i said, Double edge, ... like you used when you stated shaving, hes like no, i always used cartridge,

Basically when did DE die and got well replaced by the Twin cart ? early ? late 70s ?

seems its been dead for monre than i thought since he had no idea what i was talking about at first !

Last edited:
I'm 52 and started with a double edge, but was using a Trac II before I graduated from high school. I still have the DE razors I started with and the fancy Trac II handle my brother bought me. DE was definitely on the way out when I started shaving.

Hi,

I started shaving in 1976 and with a DE. But, then I was 15 and the razor was one of Dad's. I suppose the Trac-II was on the rack in the drug store, but I certainly would not have noticed at the time.

By the time I did notice, it was 1979 and a Trac-II razor magically appeared in the mailbox for me. A result of my having signed up for the draft, no doubt. Or, maybe due to subscriptions to racing news papers and magazines. But, I didn't like it and stuck with the DE.

Later on, an Atra appeared, then a Sensor, then a Mach-III and, finally a Fusion. The dates of those are no longer remembered. What I do recall is trying them and then stuffing them into a drawer and keeping on using a DE (along with a Straight starting in the mid 80s).

Stan

I'm 66 and started with Gillette DE razors mid 1960's. Don't recall when I switched over to carts. Probably a result of subliminal brainwashing by Gillette. BTW, Caddys ain't as bad as Buick LeSabres. And no, I drive vintage MG sports cars.

Thanks , but i didnt go check because, i was more curiosu about the average people, did they change right away?

from what it looks like it came out in 71 and got people trashing their nice DE FAST !

No worries.

I just went with the trends and wanted to do something different than "Pops". About 1976.

I'm 44, and I started with a DE in the early 80's simple because my dad used one.

I later switched to a cart after butchering myself up for several years since I had no idea what I was doing with a DE!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Started with my own DE in about '69, a Schick Krona from the neighborhood Rexall. I wanted to change it up a bit from my dad's injector with which I learned to shave.

Never used a cart, never will.

I'm old in age but not of mind and spirit and when I started shaving it always was with DE razors and Gillette Blue. I still have one of my old brushes and razors. Will post when I get a chance to take pictures

I'm 51 and remember my Dad had a Schick injector. I started with an Atra cart about 1980,which I still have. They were still making double edge razors but the trend towards cartridges had already started.
$HPIM2199.jpg

Mid 70's started with this Trac II which i used pretty much daily until Sept. 2014. Remember my dad using a safety (DE) razor and various electrics when i was a kid.

proxy.php

I started infrequent shaves in 1975 or so. Just started with Trac II because that is what was in the drug store and advertised on TV at the time. Didn't get around to DE shaving until 2 years ago.

I am 61. When I started shaving in '69 I used my dads... electric. I then got one of my own (Xmas of 70).
By that time, the soap and brush were already things of the past. Everyone I knew was using canned foam. I don't think I ever saw a shaving brush on sale in a drug store my entire life. I think it was the canned foam that started the departure from classic shaving, not the razor.

I had a problem with ingrown hair on my neck and started using the Atra (around 1980?). When it broke, I bought a Sensor and used it for 20 years. By the time I bought the Atra, DE razors had already disappeared from the drug store shelves. No sellers were interested in low profit margin products. These twin blade razors were somewhat better than electrics, but not until I got my first DE razor 6 months ago, was my neck finally ingrown hair free. I attribute it as much to the creams, soaps and prep as I do the razor.

Bottom line... classic style wet shaving takes time. These new products gave you lather in a can (1 second to use?), and disposable plastic razors. Purchase a 5 pack of cartridges and the razor is basically free. Oddly, it is that same reasons I adopted classic wet shaving... It gives me a reason to reclaim my time, provides pleasure and a great shaving experience with a wide variety of aromas and options you just can't get out of a can.

I believe once more men find out what they are missing, they too will be willing to claim their time for themselves, in exchange for a great personal experience.

I'm 41 and never heard of de until a couple years ago. My dad used cartridges for as long as I can remember.

I'm 73 (but according to my wife look younger :laugh:) and my first razors were a Tech followed by a FB and then a Slim. The first non-DE razor I tried was the Gillette Techmatic which probably was one of the worst I ever shaved with. It ended up in the trash and I went back to DEs. When cartridges first came out I got one in a promotion and tried it. It probably was a Trac II. That too was a short lived affair. Every time Gillette came out with a new razor I would get one free; I would try it and then go back to my DEs.

I started shaving in the early '60s, and I can't really be sure what I was using. I have vague recollections of injectors, but the rest of the progression is foggy until I came (back?) to DE a year or so ago.

I'm 73 (but according to my wife look younger :laugh:) and my first razors were a Tech followed by a FB and then a Slim. The first non-DE razor I tried was the Gillette Techmatic which probably was one of the worst I ever shaved with. It ended up in the trash and I went back to DEs. When cartridges first came out I got one in a promotion and tried it. It probably was a Trac II. That too was a short lived affair. Every time Gillette came out with a new razor I would get one free; I would try it and then go back to my DEs.

I had pretty much the same progression except the only one I got free was the Trac II that Gillette gave out at school.

I'm 52. I remember my dad using a Schick injector and Gillette Foamy canned shaving cream. I never saw a DE in our house, nor a brush or soap. He also would use an electric razor sometimes. In the late seventies, when I started to shave, I was intrigued by the disposables, so I bought Good News and Bics. At some point I got what was probably a Trac II and dabbled with it briefly. None of this really matters, as it was all very non-memorable shaving until I discovered a Gillette Tech in 1983 in a South American grocery store. I was fascinated by the razor and bought it because it was very cheap brand new - maybe about one dollar. I immediately fell in love with DE shaving, and used this same razor for 30 years. Besides the great shaves I was getting, I was spending practically nothing for blades so this was a big plus. As nobody every showed me how to shave, and I discovered the DE on my own, I never really became aware of the option of using a brush and soap, so I used Foamy and Edge with very good results. But it wasn't fun. I discovered B&B about 2014 and realized that brushes and soap and tons of vintage razors were available and a whole new world opened up to me. So back to the original question, I don't remember seeing DE razors in the stores by the late 70's when my shaving experience began, but fortunately DE shaving has been my thing almost my whole life.

Top Bottom