What's new

And, here we go...

The Torga C3 in Mistura or Finest isn’t more tempting? Is it the lack of butterscotch?

Since the Semogue butterscotch isn’t the @Buttercup butterscotch used in Schick Bakelite handles, it calls less to me these days. Unless I say it’s orange, but then that will upset @Chan Eil Whiskers
Nope. It's the shape of the SOC in combination with the orange - I think I see orange as well Thom. It's not Zenith Butterscotch either (although I certainly love that color as well).

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
7-16-23.Bakelite.Plasticet.Lake.640.JPG

This is butterscotch!

Happy shaves,

Jim

230911 SotD 1.JPG

2 Sep(p Kuss)tember 2023 - Head Shave
GRUMCAH! - Day Five

Merkur 37C
Gillette Nacet (2nd Use)
Semogue SOC Boar in Taj
Mike’s Natural Soap Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Clubman Pinaud Citrus Musk

I was very pleased with the results from today's two pass head shave on three days growth! After some interaction with some of y'all on another journal about pressure, I made a big effort to not only try and use less pressure but also to try and get the razor to glide. Not sure I'm expressing it right, but things worked better. Still loving the 37C as a head shaver.

Decided to choke up on the SOC boar knot and added a rubber o-ring for a bit more backbone. I also head lathered straight from the puck and was very pleased with the lather on the first pass. It was thinner as expected on the second pass, so I sprayed on more water and agitated the lather to be a bit thicker. Despite lacking a some cushion, it still had all the slickness I needed. Love Mike's, this was my first artisan soap!

I must admit that it's taking a while adjusting to being alone in the house. Trying to establish a new routine of sorts. Decided to get my butt in gear this morning and head off to the park for a bit of walking. Going to try to make that a habit, particularly as we hopefully have some of the hottest weather in the rear view for now!

#GCKuss

230911 Treewhaling 1.JPG

230911 Treewhaling 3.JPG

230911 Treewhaling 4.JPG

Pro tip: treewhale like your life depends upon it in October, and be too broke to do anything but regret your life choices in the remaining months! :D
Thanks again for the tip, @silverlifter! I went a month early as I got treewhaling approval from Madam Chairwoman after agreeing to not spend on shaving during her three month trip to Korea. I'm hoping to not regret too many of my life choices...at least not these purchases!😅

I was pleasantly surprised when orders from both Connaught Shaving and Your Shaving arrived in seven days. Not bad coming from the UK and Spain to the East Coast, USA! Both orders were immaculately packaged with all items arriving safely. This is my second order from Connaught and first time using Your Shaving. I believe their prices are amongst the best. I would not hesitate to order again from either business.

Some good to know things if you are considering ordering from these well respected vendors. Connaught Shaving's free shipping minimum (outside UK) amount is 60 GBP. Note that Connaught charges in GBP and for me that meant a 3% foreign currency conversion fee. Connaught does not provide a tracking number, unless you coordinate and pay more. The Your Shaving website allows switching between USD/EUR/GBP and they charge in those three currencies so there was no additional fee for me. Free shipping minimum to the US was $105. They do provide a tracking number from the Spanish Mail and that tracking number also worked on the USPS site. Fortunately I was home when it arrived as it required a signature.

Connaught Shaving
- Semogue Torga C5 Mistura
- SV Cosmo Soap (Seconds - Damaged exterior box)
- SV Felce Aromatica A/S

Your Shaving
- SV Felce Aromatica Soap
- Zenith Bleached Ivory Color Resin Handle 505AK SE
- Zenith Unbleached Coral Red Color Handle 507RC XSE
- Westman Mazagran Soap
- SV Cosmo A/S (substituted for problem with Westman Mazagran A/S)
- Proraso White Balm
- ARKO! Puck
- 4x Astra SP Blades

I made an additional/extra (very cheeky) order from Murphy & McNeil's Pre-Owned Marketplace the day prior to her departure. Technically I didn't order while she was gone, but busted my original budget.

- AYLM Verbano Tuscano
- Stirling Lime A/S

Tomorrow I hope to start breaking in the three brushes with a first test lather. I want to run the Torga through two wet/dry cycles before using it. I will do the same with the boars, but for a couple of weeks or more. Hoping to get them ready for Decemboar! I'm particularly interested in breaking in both a Zenith bleached and unbleached boar at the same time.

With the three new hard soaps, I'm planning and making face lathering from the puck a focal point. I'll start off with one of the SVs tomorrow using my SOC Mistura. I'm looking forward to it and have been getting some great advice from @JoWolf!

BTW...I'm not a big fan of the Astra SPs, but have found them to be a perfect blade in the Leaf razor.

lasta

Blade Biter
Yeah, the wife just spent $2000 on a plane ticket...100 pucks of soap shouldn't be unreasonable!

Taking a bigger view, shaving isn't a very expensive hobby. I'm glad we are all here, deriving immense satisfaction in such an efficient manner!

View attachment 1716872

View attachment 1716873

View attachment 1716874

Thanks again for the tip, @silverlifter! I went a month early as I got treewhaling approval from Madam Chairwoman after agreeing to not spend on shaving during her three month trip to Korea. I'm hoping to not regret too many of my life choices...at least not these purchases!😅

I was pleasantly surprised when orders from both Connaught Shaving and Your Shaving arrived in seven days. Not bad coming from the UK and Spain to the East Coast, USA! Both orders were immaculately packaged with all items arriving safely. This is my second order from Connaught and first time using Your Shaving. I believe their prices are amongst the best. I would not hesitate to order again from either business.

Some good to know things if you are considering ordering from these well respected vendors. Connaught Shaving's free shipping minimum (outside UK) amount is 60 GBP. Note that Connaught charges in GBP and for me that meant a 3% foreign currency conversion fee. Connaught does not provide a tracking number, unless you coordinate and pay more. The Your Shaving website allows switching between USD/EUR/GBP and they charge in those three currencies so there was no additional fee for me. Free shipping minimum to the US was $105. They do provide a tracking number from the Spanish Mail and that tracking number also worked on the USPS site. Fortunately I was home when it arrived as it required a signature.

Connaught Shaving
- Semogue Torga C5 Mistura
- SV Cosmo Soap (Seconds - Damaged exterior box)
- SV Felce Aromatica A/S

Your Shaving
- SV Felce Aromatica Soap
- Zenith Bleached Ivory Color Resin Handle 505AK SE
- Zenith Unbleached Coral Red Color Handle 507RC XSE
- Westman Mazagran Soap
- SV Cosmo A/S (substituted for problem with Westman Mazagran A/S)
- Proraso White Balm
- ARKO! Puck
- 4x Astra SP Blades

I made an additional/extra (very cheeky) order from Murphy & McNeil's Pre-Owned Marketplace the day prior to her departure. Technically I didn't order while she was gone, but busted my original budget.

- AYLM Verbano Tuscano
- Stirling Lime A/S

Tomorrow I hope to start breaking in the three brushes with a first test lather. I want to run the Torga through two wet/dry cycles before using it. I will do the same with the boars, but for a couple of weeks or more. Hoping to get them ready for Decemboar! I'm particularly interested in breaking in both a Zenith bleached and unbleached boar at the same time.

With the three new hard soaps, I'm planning and making face lathering from the puck a focal point. I'll start off with one of the SVs tomorrow using my SOC Mistura. I'm looking forward to it and have been getting some great advice from @JoWolf!

BTW...I'm not a big fan of the Astra SPs, but have found them to be a perfect blade in the Leaf razor.
I hope you enjoy face lathering Bryan. I started off bowl lathering when using carts. Once I switched to face lathering I was hooked. A luxurious treat for your skin.

How did you get Your Shaving to ship aftershaves to you? They claim not to ship alcohol out of the EU...
Perhaps the SV aftershaves have a lesser amount of alcohol content, I'm not 100% sure.

When I was developing my list, I noticed that both Connaught and Your Shaving had a statement on most aftershaves that they contain alcohol and cannot ship out of the EU. However, with the SV aftershaves...no such statement. I emailed both vendors before ordering to verify that they would ship the SV aftershaves to the US and they both responded with an affirmative.

Taking a bigger view, shaving isn't a very expensive hobby. I'm glad we are all here, deriving immense satisfaction in such an efficient manner!
Yep!

I wish it were possible for Madam Chairwoman to see it that way. Frugality is good...to a point. Can't take it with you...

And one puck of ARKO! Can't say I love it and surely don't hate it, but for two bucks...why not!

Excellent whaling there Bryan! And with a seal of approval which is already a good thing.

Not sure if I fully agree with @lasta. If I tally everything up I think it’s a good idea to not show the LOTH. Although I think she already knows and I just need to catch on to the consequences that are in place already without me knowing! She keeps me sane from going full tilt overboard.

I know I have spend way more in the first year of this hobby than any other.

View attachment 1716858

2 Sep(p Kuss)tember 2023 - Head Shave
GRUMCAH! - Day Five

Merkur 37C
Gillette Nacet (2nd Use)
Semogue SOC Boar in Taj
Mike’s Natural Soap Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper
Clubman Pinaud Citrus Musk

I was very pleased with the results from today's two pass head shave on three days growth! After some interaction with some of y'all on another journal about pressure, I made a big effort to not only try and use less pressure but also to try and get the razor to glide. Not sure I'm expressing it right, but things worked better. Still loving the 37C as a head shaver.

Decided to choke up on the SOC boar knot and added a rubber o-ring for a bit more backbone. I also head lathered straight from the puck and was very pleased with the lather on the first pass. It was thinner as expected on the second pass, so I sprayed on more water and agitated the lather to be a bit thicker. Despite lacking a some cushion, it still had all the slickness I needed. Love Mike's, this was my first artisan soap!

I must admit that it's taking a while adjusting to being alone in the house. Trying to establish a new routine of sorts. Decided to get my butt in gear this morning and head off to the park for a bit of walking. Going to try to make that a habit, particularly as we hopefully have some of the hottest weather in the rear view for now!

#GCKuss
Yes could not agree more that I hope this hot weather is winding down. This swede living in North Carolina is having a hard time with it even though I've lived longer here than in Sweden. I stick my nose outside the house and I am drenched.

Top Bottom