What's new

And, here we go...

230615 SOTD.JPG

15 June 2023 - Head Shave

With very few exceptions, I had a high and tight haircut once a week for twenty years. At every duty station I would search out a barber I liked and stick with them like glue. Once a relationship was built I'd just sit in the chair, BS with the barber and get up and pay without looking in a mirror. I trusted my barber to give me a good cut. They were my friend.

After retiring, I stuck with the same barber I had during my last stateside assignment. However, I slacked off to a haircut every two to three weeks. The expected standard wasn't the same being a defense contractor and I could save a little money.

Then the pandemic struck and I stopped going to the barber. I had a beard trimmer that I used to give myself a fairly decent military style flat top haircut. As the pandemic drug on, I simplified things and just went for the buzz cut.

About six months ago, I looked at all of the shaving gear I had accumulated and decided I could double my fun and improve my skill by shaving my head. I started by digging out some old cartridges I had laying around and after a couple of weeks I started using some of my Schick injectables. This was a good bit more challenging than using a cart.

I had seen a few YouTube videos with guys raving about the Leaf razor for head shaves. I waited for Leaf to have a sale and about three months ago I picked up the one where you can use up to three halves of DE blades. I found it to be a great head shaver, reminiscent of using a cart and allowing for a good bit of pressure to get a real close shave. I only use one DE blade snapped in half and leave the third/top slot empty.

Three days ago I decided to start sprinkling in some mild DE razors for my head shave. I started with the Merkur 37C and then today I used the Gillette Tech. Today's shave was one of my best/closest non-Leaf head shaves yet, despite a Nacet blade on its fourth and final use. Three passes WTG/ATG/ATG with just a bit of irritation detected by the alum block.

All things considered, I learned a bit today and moved forward in progressing my skill.

Good night, Y'all!

230616 SotD.JPG

16 June 2023 - Face Shave

I really enjoyed every bit of kit used in this three pass shave. The SOC Mistura has more than half a dozen or so uses and is continuing to soften over time. I really appreciate the firm backbone and just love the handle. The most appreciated aspect to the Otto Roth NEW LC is the thin common bar handle. It is so light that it gives the razor a head heavy aspect that I like as long as I keep the pressure light. Stirling Varen...a strong Fougere and mutton tallow...one of my faves!

I had three days growth and the first pass WTG was silky smooth and if I had stopped there I would have had zero irritation. The second pass XTG was solid and if I had stopped there I would have had just a wee hint of irritation in a couple of spots. The third pass ATG was OK, but I struggled on some of my known problem spots...my jawlines, the bottom 1-2" of my neck and the area just below the edges of the end of my lips and to the outside of my chin.

In the end I has some irritation here and there, but no bleeding. I think a first use Nacet blade and an OC razor played a bit part role...but my technique still needing improvement played the starring role. Nothing a bit of witch hazel and the splash didn't mostly deal with.

Even as the day nears passing into night, I still find myself bummed out over the passing of Swiss cyclist Gino Mader this morning. I had been watching each stage of the Tour de Suisse. Yesterdays mountain stage ended on an extremely fast downhill finish. The Swiss are known for having great roads that are wide and well maintained. This road was fine, but the speeds exceeded 100 kmph. Two riders exited the road in nearly the same spot, with reports stating they did not crash together. They both ended up at the bottom of an extremely steep hill. Gino Mader landed in water, was found unresponsive and had to be revived by the race doctor. He was air lifted to a hospital and succumbed to his injuries this morning. He was aged 26.

Unfortunately, deaths like this in cycling occur every five years or so. I used to follow NASCAR and was watching on TV when Dale Earnhardt passed at Daytona. NASCAR really reacted to this and implemented many safety protocols. I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying DE was the last NASCAR fatality. I'm not sure what cycling can do to minimize and/or eliminate the risk of death. At the end of yesterday's stage, Remco Evenepoel (current World Champion), who is in this race, was critical of finishing the stage on such an extreme downhill versus a mountain top finish. This is where money enters the calculation in that race organizers collect fees from cities/towns that stages start and finish in and you generally don't have a city/town at the top of a mountain climb.

I don't know...it's all just sad right now.

230618 SotD.JPG

18 June 2023 - Face Shave

I was planning a head shave yesterday, but after spending hours working the lawn in the hot sun...my scalp was a bit pink and I didn't want to risk it...so on to a face shave today.

I love vintage razors! DE...SE...Injector...GEM style...it doesn't matter...I love them all! However, I have a soft spot for the Gillette TTOs. I can't say exactly why. Perhaps it is the industrial design that catches my eye or the simplicity of a one piece razor. While they may not give me the closest shave, as IMO a GEM blade is hard to beat for that, they give me great joy to use.

While cruising that large auction site early on in my wet shaving hobby, this cased razor popped up as BIN for an extremely good price. It was simply listed as a Gillette razor with poor pictures. At that point I didn't know much about the "rocket-style" TTOs, but I knew enough for the price that I didn't have time to research...so I pulled the trigger. Once it arrived with the help of the Mr. Razor website I identified it as a German Parat. Quite a lucky find I think here in the US. The razor is in great condition, the case a little less so.

This is one of my favorites to shave with. I always end up with a smooth shave. No different today with two passes and a bit of clean up. The second pass was a bit of a hybrid, XTG on the cheeks and ATG everywhere else. The second use of a Gillette Nacet blade is generally the best balance of sharpness and smoothness. Today was no different.

While not a father myself, I am wishing all the best to all the fathers on this special day!

230619 SotD.JPG

19 June 2023 - Head Shave

Not showing in this image is the first use Astra Superior Platinum blade (Green tuck) that was used. I had tried these blades for face shaves early on in my journey and never really warmed to them. A couple of weeks back I snapped one in half and threw it in the Leaf for a head shave and it really agreed with me. Today I had four days growth and after a two-pass shave (WTG/ATG) I am super pleased. There was a bit of stinging with the alum block, but after the witch hazel and after shave it has all settled down. I learned a lesson here that I need to reconsider some of the blades that I haven't used in a while. I'm giving thought to picking up a 100 pack of the Astra greens for my head shaving.

The Zenith Silvertip is quickly becoming my favorite for head lathering. It's got a big, soft 28mm knot that feels luxurious and covers a lot of turf quickly. When I was lurking prior to joining, I was turned on to the Zenith badgers from a number of B&B members that rate the Manchurian's very highly. Although not a Manchurian, when I ran across this used Silvertip for a real good price I didn't hesitate. I would still like to get a Manchurian some day, along with an unbleached Zenith boar and horse hair brush. But hey...who doesn't want more brushes!

I just wanted to briefly mention my appreciation to @Jan Sobieski and @musicman1951 for their comments earlier today on a newcomer thread.

230620 SotD.JPG

20 June 2023 - Face Shave
1906 Old Type, Single Ring
Gillete Nacet (3rd)
Yaqi Green Obsidian 24mm 2-Band Badger
Southern Witchcrafts Fougere Nemeta Soap & Splash

I want to thank @Obetron Rex for his recent post about Gillette Old Types. It had been a while since I used one of mine and he motivated me to pull one out. In the same thread, @nemo stated, "But honestly, I feel there is nothing quite as beautiful as a single ring with hard-earned patina. Classic." I could not agree more! I get a special feeling when shaving with an instrument that is over a century old.

With two days growth, I had a lovely two-pass plus clean up face shave. I was pleased with myself until I noticed during post-shave care that I had a slight line of irritation on my left cheek. Looks like my technique failed me at the end of a stroke when I must have not kept my skin taunt. Frustrating...and on the easiest part of my face to shave!🤬

For an inexpensive badger brush, I really like this one from Yaqi. It's got quite a bit of backbone, good scrub for face lathering and surprisingly soft tips. As my mind ponders future brush procurement, I often think about my 24mm Shavemac 2-Band Fan, which I love, and what it would be like to have just a bit more backbone. Perhaps the same knot in a bulb shape or a D01 knot would hit the sweet spot?

I picked up this Southern Witchcrafts Fougere Nemeta set used from the Murphy & McNeil Marketplace. I already had the Boonana Set, so I knew that I like their vegan soap base and I had read many rave reviews about the Fougere Nemeta scent. Little did I know that it would become my favorite scent thus far. And, with the Chairwoman of my Finance Committee all but ignoring my shaving hobby other than how it impacts the quarterly reports...she actually said said she likes this scent...for the win!

Again today, I wanted to briefly mention my appreciation to @Lane101 when in a thread this past Sunday he showed kindness while interacting with a new member after, IMO, other members had been less than kind.:thumbsup:

Agree with you about @Lane101 He’s not only wicked polite, he’s also sharp. His post; #47 here; changed how I load my brush for Happy Razor Fun Time. One of this site’s gentlemen and scholars.

Thank you, it's always good to hear good things about good people! I intend to completely read that thread you mentioned, as I'm always open to learning new ways to make better lather. After all, it's where the so called rubber meets the road in this hobby!😉

230621 SotD.JPG

21 June 2023 - Head Shave
Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
Gillete Nacet (4th/Final)
RazoRock Big Bruce
Declaration Grooming Gratiot League Square Soap
Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion

Since I've only been dabbling in head shaving for a few months and with only a handful of DE shaves under my belt, I opted for an easy peasy, one pass WTG shave with no drama to report. This is my only Declaration Grooming soap and it is so soft that I used my cat food lather bowl to load the brush prior to head lathering. I worked in a bunch of water and it created a wonderfully slick lather. This is my first leather scent, a really manly scent...and I like it!

I picked up this Big Bruce brush, say that three times fast, about a year ago for $8 during one of Italian Barber's 24 hour sales. I really love the handle shape and weight that looks eerily similar to a Shavemac 386. While I love how the ultra soft tips feel on the skin, I think the combination of it being a big feeling 26mm knot with lots of loft (63mm) make it great for the head and less great for my face. In retrospect, the smaller brother "Bruce" with a 24mm x 57 mm knot would likely be a better fit for me.

A shout out to @Beto Salatini who became the first member following me. You win a prize...well, there really isn't a prize except that you have my deepest appreciation and you can call yourself a winner! 😍 I can also throw you a compliment...I just adore your SotD postings. So relaxing that I can only imagine you shaving in a luxury spa!

For tomorrow's face shave, I'm going to pull out a fresh GEM PTFE blade and use it with my vintage collection of a different razor for each face shave until it loses it's edge, about 10 shaves or so. I'm looking forward to this!

View attachment 1674642

21 June 2023 - Head Shave
Gillette Flare Tip Rocket
Gillete Nacet (4th/Final)
RazoRock Big Bruce
Declaration Grooming Gratiot League Square Soap
Pinaud Clubman After Shave Lotion

Since I've only been dabbling in head shaving for a few months and with only a handful of DE shaves under my belt, I opted for an easy peasy, one pass WTG shave with no drama to report. This is my only Declaration Grooming soap and it is so soft that I used my cat food lather bowl to load the brush prior to head lathering. I worked in a bunch of water and it created a wonderfully slick lather. This is my first leather scent, a really manly scent...and I like it!

I picked up this Big Bruce brush, say that three times fast, about a year ago for $8 during one of Italian Barber's 24 hour sales. I really love the handle shape and weight that looks eerily similar to a Shavemac 386. While I love how the ultra soft tips feel on the skin, I think the combination of it being a big feeling 26mm knot with lots of loft (63mm) make it great for the head and less great for my face. In retrospect, the smaller brother "Bruce" with a 24mm x 57 mm knot would likely be a better fit for me.

A shout out to @Beto Salatini who became the first member following me. You win a prize...well, there really isn't a prize except that you have my deepest appreciation and you can call yourself a winner! 😍 I can also throw you a compliment...I just adore your SotD postings. So relaxing that I can only imagine you shaving in a luxury spa!

For tomorrow's face shave, I'm going to pull out a fresh GEM PTFE blade and use it with my vintage collection of a different razor for each face shave until it loses it's edge, about 10 shaves or so. I'm looking forward to this!
Hahaha!
Thank you very much my dear friend.
Wonderful post. Congratulations! I am honored that you like my posts.
Being your follower is my privilege alone.

Cheers!
❤️ 🪒

Well, no shave to report today. I just didn't have it in me. For sure tomorrow!

The wife and I attended the Celebration of Life service for our neighbor down the street. Please permit me to talk about him a bit.

We've lived here 19 years and knew Bobby Harpe for nearly all of them. He lived near the cul-de-sac at the end of our street, so when coming and going he passed our home. Over time we got to know each other. With him being retired Army and me at the time still on active duty...we had a common bond. I knew him a bit, but the stories heard today told by family, life-long friends and the obituary in the memorial program painted a fuller picture.

Bobby was the eldest of nine children. He was drafted into the US Army in 1964 and completed 11B Infantryman training and Airborne School. After completing his two year service requirement, he voluntarily extended another year. He reenlisted and reclassified into Food Service and was assigned to Fort Bragg. He served a 13 month tour in Viet Nam with the Special Forces, returning to Fort Bragg for continued service with the Special Forces community...no doubt jumping out of perfectly good aircraft on a regular basis. After 11 years, he left the enlisted ranks and was promoted to Warrant Officer 1 continuing in food service management. He excelled at his craft and was ultimately promoted to Chief Warrant Officer 5, the highest warrant officer rank. Bobby retired after over 41 years on active duty. He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

Actually, my wife new him better than I did. While living here and still on active duty, I spent 6 month deployed overseas and another nearly 2 years away on an overseas assignment/deployment. Bobby looked out for her while I was away, checking in on a regular basis. Bobby was a good man, a good neighbor.

It has been nearly six years since my Mom's funeral and I've been fortunate not to attend any until today. The emotions of considering one's own mortality hit me a bit. Not that I've come to any conclusions today, but something I believe I will ponder for a while.

230623 SotD.JPG

23 June 2023 - Face Shave
GEM Junior w/ Baton Handle
Persona GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade (1st)
Shavemac 24mm 2-band Silvertip Badger
Zingari Man The Rambler Soap & Splash

Three days growth never had a chance when going up against a new GEM PTFE blade. My only concern was that the first shave with a new GEM blade can be a bit harsh. It was a bit tricky and after three passes I had one weeper on my chin and a bit of tingling when applying alum. Nothing that my post shave care couldn't deal with.

I'm a big fan of Zingari Man products. The lather produced is always slick, holds a lot of water and is low structure...just the way I like it! And, the splash leaves my face feeling perfectly moisturized and not needing any balm. In a world where many artisans are constantly tinkering with the formulation of their products, I believe Zingari Man Sego/Vegan bases have remained the same for a number of years...and that's fine with me!

Don't you love it when products used to print the price on the container! Anyone up for a 39 cent razor? ;)

230625 SotD.JPG

25 June 2023 - Head Shave

Gillette Slim (1965/K2)
Voskhod (1st Use/Final)
Semogue SOC Mistura
Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood Cream
Floid Vigoroso Aftershave

Probably my poorest head shave. A post I had seen reminded me that I had not used a Vokhod blade in some time, so I dug through my blade stash and found some. Wish I hadn't. While I'm still a novice at head shaving with a DE and I've not ever used the Slim for this, I could tell right away that the Voskhod blade was not going to be sharp enough. I did have four days growth, so that may have contributed. I soldiered through a two pass shave, WTG on setting 4 and ATG on setting 3.

Once I had written this shave off, it was all about getting out with no damage. In a way, that was a learning experience in itself...not to chase a closer shave than I should. Normally, I would have persisted to try to get a closer shave which would have done damage in either drawing blood or irritation. Less is more for the win! I did like the longer handle on the Slim and will need to try again with a better blade.

The SOC Mistura continues to shine. I think 24mm is my preferred knot size, in general. I love the backbone and the tips on the boar component continues to break in nicely.

230626 SotD.JPG

26 June 2023 - Face Shave

GEM Junior Bar Lather Catcher
GEM PTFE Stainless Steel (2nd Use)
Yaqi Green Obsidian 24mm 2-Band Badger
Cyril R. Salter Solid Shaving Soap (in Vintage Yardley Bowl)
Myrsol Agua Balsamica Aftershave

Easily the most gratifying shave I've had in a while! This GEM Junior Bar always gives me a smooth shave and coupled with the second use on a GEM PTFE blade was the perfect combination for my three days growth. I generally like the shorter handles, but this longer handle feels just right for this razor.

As I've transitioned from mostly bowl lathering to now mostly face lathering, I still find myself needing to improve the amount of hydration in my lather. This CRS soap has a lovely tallow base and even though I could tell it needed more water on the 2nd/3rd passes, it was still super slick. I don't have one of those slick mister bottles, but have repurposed an old spray bottle from some eyeglass cleaner that creates a fine mist. I probably needed to be a bit more patient in working more water in during initial lathering.

I had found this empty Yardley shaving soap dish at a local antique store. It is the perfect fit for the 70g size of the CRS solid soap!

Hi Bryan,

You have such an impressively diverse collection of vintage razors! I love seeing all of the photos you post.

I found myself thinking about your first journal post at work today and remembered my own situation during the pandemic. I watched YouTube videos about how to blend different length hair sections using clippers and then tried to explain it to my wife. To her credit, she got it figured out, it looked relatively good, and she still cuts my hair to save money (which I inevitably spend on shaving stuff :facep:), but I do miss the barber shop setting.

I look forward to your next shave!

Best,
Brian

@BrianWithAnI I too miss the barber shop setting, particularly chewing the fat with my barber! Jerry is good ole' southern born and bread and he always schooled me on something at every sitting.

I only have the three modern razors, Merkur 34C/37C/Progress, so if you stick around you're going to see quite a bit of vintage. The Chairwoman of my Finance Committee will swear to you that I had a bit of a sickness for quite a while buying vintage razors. I was hooked once I found a handful at my local antique stores!

Top Bottom