What's new

And, here we go...

Being not too far removed from having issues of clogging razors and drying lather, I still lean on mostly bowl loading for face/head lathering. This has the added benefit of getting nearly half or more of the hydration in the lather before moving it on from the bowl..
This is the point I am at now. PAA soaps tend to give me more of an issue. I did scoop today with my Rex 1966 and got better results. It's all a learning process. Thanks for the post and the journal. I am enjoying the reads.

230906 SotD.JPG

06 September 2023 - Face Shave - Twist 'n' Shout!

Gillette Super Speed (No Notch)
Gillette Nacet (1st Use)
Semogue Galahad Horse in Imperial Red
House of Mammoth Hygge Soap/Splash
Listerine Shaving Cream Promotional Elephant Blade Bank

The goal going into the shave was to focus on comfort and not sweat the closeness. First pass I went primarily WTG all over and the fresh blade in 40s-style SS nailed it. I lathered up for the second pass and went WTG again on my neck and XTG (the easier direction) everywhere else, which also ended up just fine. I decided to go for a third pass really focusing on a light touch. I had a real hybrid pass; ATG on the neck, the other XTG direction on my cheeks and ATG on my stache and my chinny chin chin.

Overall results were a comfortable three pass shave on two days growth. Not as close as I'd ultimately like on my cheeks and my jawline, which is a trouble spot for me. I'm good with the results of this shave for now.

As always I enjoyed the House of Mammoth Hygge soap and splash. Just a tick of menthol in the splash which felt refreshing. The Semogue horse brush performed well in mostly bowl lathering the soap, though I did some lathering on the face to add additional hydration and get the lather agitated just right. There's something about a Semogue resin handle that just feels right!

In a little over 24 hours I'll be loading up Madame Chairwoman for the drive to the ATL International Terminal for her trip to visit her family. She's flying on a Delta Buddy Pass compliments of her friend that is a flight attendant. The upside is some pretty steep cost savings, while the downside being the possibility of being bumped if the flight is full. So far she is looking good to go!

Be well, Y'all!

It doesn't look like I'm going to get a shave in today. Kind of busy being the supportive husband getting her packed up and out the door in a few hours. I'm glad it's not me going on a 15+ hour flight!

Amazingly, my order from Connaught Shaving arrived today! Ordered on 31 August. Seven days is pretty speedy in my book. Quick pick below.

The brush is the Semogue Torga C5 Mistura. It feels good in the hand and I'm betting it will be the face lathering machine I was hoping for. The logo is engraved in the handle and not a sticker.

The other two items are self explanatory and leaves a pretty good hint of what will hopefully be arriving next week from Spain to complete the two sets. My first dabble with SV and everything about these items seems top notch. A very quick sniff of both gives me the impression of very refined, mature scents. Very cologne-ish. Very nice!

Be well, Y'all!

230907 Connaught copy.JPG

It doesn't look like I'm going to get a shave in today. Kind of busy being the supportive husband getting her packed up and out the door in a few hours. I'm glad it's not me going on a 15+ hour flight!

Amazingly, my order from Connaught Shaving arrived today! Ordered on 31 August. Seven days is pretty speedy in my book. Quick pick below.

The brush is the Semogue Torga C5 Mistura. It feels good in the hand and I'm betting it will be the face lathering machine I was hoping for. The logo is engraved in the handle and not a sticker.

The other two items are self explanatory and leaves a pretty good hint of what will hopefully be arriving next week from Spain to complete the two sets. My first dabble with SV and everything about these items seems top notch. A very quick sniff of both gives me the impression of very refined, mature scents. Very cologne-ish. Very nice!

Be well, Y'aView attachment 1714248
I've been eyeballing some SV also. The GRUME has me hampered at the moment. Time heals all wounds. Haha.

230909 SotD.JPG

09 Slantember 2023 - Head Shave

Merkur 37C
Gillette Nacet (1st Use)
Semogue SOC Boar in Taj
Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company Woody Lavender
Aqua Velva Musk

Getting back into the shaving game after a two day hiatus. A solid two pass head shave on four days growth with only one spot of bother. A generous load of soap and healthy level of hydration produced a very nice lather. Perhaps there is still hope that I can love this SOC boar?!

It has been a discombobulating couple of days and I'm just starting to feel like I've returned to a bit of normalcy. Took Madam Chairwoman to the airport Thursday evening and due to pre-weighing her two suitcases and reloading a number of times at home she checked in for her flight with no drama (the scale at check in read 50 and 48 exactly)...how's that for being lucky!

With her flight due to depart after midnight, I saw her clear security and headed for home. Her flight was further delayed over an hour due to maintenance. It was hard to get to sleep and what I little sleep I got was restless. Fortunately her 15+ hour flight was uneventful and she is safely with her family in Korea. It's been a long seven years since she has been home and though it will seem like a long three months for me, time will likely fly for her as she catches up with friends and family...and eats way too much good food that I'm very jealous about!

When I started September, I planned to use the SOC Boar for all head shaves and the Galahad Horse for all face shaves with the desired outcome being better appreciation for both brushes. This was prior to my approved treewhaling. Now that the Torga Mistura has arrived and with the two Zenith Boars set to arrive from Spain on Monday...what's a guy to do?!

Be well, Y'all!

I need to add a Semogue to the collection.
Apologies Dear Guido in advance for what follows, no intent to enable!

I think I could be happy with the SOC Mistura as my only brush. The eventual acquisition was fueled by my B&B lurking prior to joining and particularly comments by @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Phoenixkh. Although I distinctly remember Jim wishing the knot were 26mm instead of 24mm. However, for me the knot size is perfect for the face and a 26mm knot would be more advantageous for the head.

This week I'll start using my newly acquired Torga C5 Mistura and I'm really curious to see what if any difference 3mm less loft means. (SOC 53mm vs Torga 50mm)

Since I have a few hard Italian soaps arriving tomorrow (Inshallah!), my plan is for the Torga to be my #1 option for face lathering directly from the puck (also with Tabac, MWF and Mike's). I'm interested to see how I get on with the shorter handle, as I really love the SOC.

I know @lasta has had his SOC Mistura for a little over a week or so. Perhaps too soon for him to come to any concrete conclusions.

230910 SotD 1.JPG

10 Sep(p Kuss)tember 2023 - Face Shave - Twist 'n' Shout!

English Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Gillette Nacet (2nd Use)
Stirling Soap Co. Varen Soap/Splash

This Stirling Varen in mutton tallow is some really good soap! And the scent just rocks. I've only got two Stirling soaps and both are mutton tallow (Glacial Electric Sheep). Not sure if I want to try the regular ole beef tallow. The splash scent strength is pretty strong, which I do like. I've thought about the Glastonbury, which I believe is also mutton tallow and has a similar scent profile, but with pachouli...I think.

I had four days growth and had intended to shave with the English Flare Tip Rocket, but pulled out this heavy hitter. The AJ has got a good deal more weight and has always been a more efficient/aggressive shaver for me. It did not disappoint and I was squeaky clean after a traditional three pass shave. Only one weeper on my chin as I was experimenting with a steep angle on the first/WTG pass.

I'm warming up to the Galahad horse with each passing use. I'm still primarily bowl lathering with it, but when I do move the lather to the face I add additional water and splay the brush to agitate lather building. I've not had any issues with the hairs tangling. It might be feeling modestly less prickly, but that could be my mind wanting that and/or my adjusting to the feeling. It does still seem to lose one hair per use, but not worrying to me. The handle shape is the smallest of my Semogue's, but I don't mind and it works well for me. And I do love the Imperial Red color.

I had intended to use the Galahad for all my face shaves for Sep(p Kuss)tember, but that plan was hatched prior to my approved treewhaling. With the arrival of the Torga Mistura, I'm planning to set aside (put out to pasture for a bit) the Galahad in support of the less than scientific comparison of the SOC vs Torga in the Mistura knot. My fellow Semogue lover @Beto Salatini is just as interested as I am in what if any differences there are!

Tomorrow is the final rest day of the three week La Vuelta a España. American Sepp Kuss surprisingly finds himself in the lead, with his own teammates in second/third. Sepp is a Super Domestique/Mountain Goat and has helped his teammates (who happen to be in 2nd/3rd) win the Giro and the Tour earlier this year. It would be unprecedented for the Jumbo Visma team to win all three grand tours in one season and even more special to do so with three different riders. For the next seven days the current month will be Sep(p Kuss)tember!

#GCKuss

lasta

Blade Biter

I think I could be happy with the SOC Mistura as my only brush. The eventual acquisition was fueled by my B&B lurking prior to joining and particularly comments by @Chan Eil Whiskers and @Phoenixkh. Although I distinctly remember Jim wishing the knot were 26mm instead of 24mm. However, for me the knot size is perfect for the face and a 26mm knot would be more advantageous for the head.

This week I'll start using my newly acquired Torga C5 Mistura and I'm really curious to see what if any difference 3mm less loft means. (SOC 53mm vs Torga 50mm)

Since I have a few hard Italian soaps arriving tomorrow (Inshallah!), my plan is for the Torga to be my #1 option for face lathering directly from the puck (also with Tabac, MWF and Mike's). I'm interested to see how I get on with the shorter handle, as I really love the SOC.

I know @lasta has had his SOC Mistura for a little over a week or so. Perhaps too soon for him to come to any concrete conclusions.
Thanks Buttercups!

I've been using the Mistura everyday for the past week! Breaking in nicely, and after ~2 dozen thick strands plucked out, prickliness has gone down significantly.

Great brush, very ergonomic handle, and a lot of backbone, moreso than most of my boars! So, if you like that, go for it!

It lathers fast, as most badger do, but does tend to build up body (airiness) faster than Omega boars/synthetics.

I think this will get better with use and be a regular in the rotation. But head to head against my very well broken-in piglets, I think I'm still a boar man!

View attachment 1715832

10 Sep(p Kuss)tember 2023 - Face Shave - Twist 'n' Shout!

English Gillette Aristocrat Junior
Gillette Nacet (2nd Use)
Stirling Soap Co. Varen Soap/Splash

This Stirling Varen in mutton tallow is some really good soap! And the scent just rocks. I've only got two Stirling soaps and both are mutton tallow (Glacial Electric Sheep). Not sure if I want to try the regular ole beef tallow. The splash scent strength is pretty strong, which I do like. I've thought about the Glastonbury, which I believe is also mutton tallow and has a similar scent profile, but with pachouli...I think.

I had four days growth and had intended to shave with the English Flare Tip Rocket, but pulled out this heavy hitter. The AJ has got a good deal more weight and has always been a more efficient/aggressive shaver for me. It did not disappoint and I was squeaky clean after a traditional three pass shave. Only one weeper on my chin as I was experimenting with a steep angle on the first/WTG pass.

I'm warming up to the Galahad horse with each passing use. I'm still primarily bowl lathering with it, but when I do move the lather to the face I add additional water and splay the brush to agitate lather building. I've not had any issues with the hairs tangling. It might be feeling modestly less prickly, but that could be my mind wanting that and/or my adjusting to the feeling. It does still seem to lose one hair per use, but not worrying to me. The handle shape is the smallest of my Semogue's, but I don't mind and it works well for me. And I do love the Imperial Red color.

I had intended to use the Galahad for all my face shaves for Sep(p Kuss)tember, but that plan was hatched prior to my approved treewhaling. With the arrival of the Torga Mistura, I'm planning to set aside (put out to pasture for a bit) the Galahad in support of the less than scientific comparison of the SOC vs Torga in the Mistura knot. My fellow Semogue lover @Beto Salatini is just as interested as I am in what if any differences there are!

Tomorrow is the final rest day of the three week La Vuelta a España. American Sepp Kuss surprisingly finds himself in the lead, with his own teammates in second/third. Sepp is a Super Domestique/Mountain Goat and has helped his teammates (who happen to be in 2nd/3rd) win the Giro and the Tour earlier this year. It would be unprecedented for the Jumbo Visma team to win all three grand tours in one season and even more special to do so with three different riders. For the next seven days the current month will be Sep(p Kuss)tember!

#GCKuss
Hello my dear friend!

I just saw your wonderful posts and your splendid photos. The brushes are spectacular and so are the soaps…
The Torga C5 Mistura looks fantastic. I will follow your posts, comparing brushes with great enthusiasm.
Congratulations my friend!

Have many wonderful shaves!

Cheers!
❤️🪒

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Like you, I could be happy with the SOC Mistura as my only brush. Fortunately there are other brushes about which I could say the same thing.

I would still like to have a Semogue Mistura with a 26 mm or 28 mm knot.

The Torga C5 Mistura is interesting to me, but I've never tried one. I'm always interested in hearing comparisons between it and the the SOC Misturas.

2-10-22.Semogue.Spanish.LE.Boar. Mistura.640.JPG

Occasionally I search for Semogue limited editions. Sometimes I miss them. Sometimes I get lucky. The brush on the right is a 2021 Spanish Shavers LE Mistura. I like it very much, but wish the knot were larger.

Happy shaves,

Jim

So, I ordered a DaniDom brush which is made in Spain. It's a two piece boar brush and I liked the looks etc. Well, it got here and all it did was shed at least 12 hairs per shave. Frustrated I shelved the thing after giving it a fairly long time and a good number of shaves to improve. It didn't. Sending it back didn't make sense because of costs shipping from Canada. So finally I ordered a couple of new knots and drilled/dremeled the original knot out. That took some doing. Anyway waiting for the knots to appear so I can re-do the brush. Hopefully I can save this thing and have it work properly.
Cheers!

Top Bottom