What's new

Head Shaving with a DE Razor

I'm a head shaver. I recently started with a SR on my face, but I'm not even thinking about shaving my head with it. I'd probably cut my ears off! I just received a Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta and plan to give my dome a go with it. I usually did my head in two passes with a cartridge razor, one WTG and one ATG. Any advice for shaving my head with the DE? I'm ditching the cartridge merry go round.

I'm a head shaver. I recently started with a SR on my face, but I'm not even thinking about shaving my head with it. I'd probably cut my ears off! I just received a Goodfellas' Smile Bayonetta and plan to give my dome a go with it. I usually did my head in two passes with a cartridge razor, one WTG and one ATG. Any advice for shaving my head with the DE? I'm ditching the cartridge merry go round.
Just go for it man. Lighter pressure than a cart of course. I also do 2 passes on my head, one WTG and one XTG, although sometimes I’ll add a third pass XTG the other way. Right on top of my dome I’ll do WTG then ATG and sometimes a third pass ATG.

I’ve tried using a straight for head shaves and it never worked for me. Was way too awkward but I didn’t cut myself at least!

Edit: be sure to post in the Head Shaver’s Check-in in the Clubs and Brotherhoods

Straight strokes, don't slide... laterally ? That's when you dice things up :thumbsup: Wait a second, you know that already you're already one of us...

If you have different razors try them out. I like mild-medium/medium on my face but up top on the old noggin' i like medium-aggressive/aggressive. :out:

I just switched over to a DE razor. I use GKC for my face and the Leaf twig for my head. I will use this setup until I get more comfortable with the feel of a DE razor.

I use a de for first pass and cartridge for second pass. The blade flex in the cartridge forms to your round head. I have found this a quicker method for getting good head shaves. Cartridge lasts a month or two.

I head shave with a DE
Tend towards the more aggressive side, blackbird, Rex Ambassador @ 5/6
Back of the head did on occasion call for a cart razor to help clean up, but as with everything practise makes perfect (or at least competent)

I've tried various DE and SE razors for head shaving: Rockwell 6C, Henson AL13 (+, ++ and +++), Blackland Vector, Yaqi Tile, Ever Ready GEM... none of them perform as well as my Leaf razor, loaded in all three slots with half DE blades. I can do a full head shave WTG and ATG with a little clean up afterwards without any issues. The Leaf has a pivoting head, which helps find and maintain the right angle, a long handle, and the ability to tune the shave by deciding how many blades you want, and where you want them. Clogging isn't an issue because the blades are spaced widely enough to allow easy pass-through of lather and stubble. Its the best combination of DE, SE and cartridge I've tested.

Been using mine for a year, and nothing else I've tried comes close. But, like all razors, it takes some getting used to, and there's no substitute for developing a decent technique.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I have been shaving my head with DE for many years without using cartridges or other tools to aid cleaning.

I enjoy whether I have a gentle razor or an aggressive razor in my rotation.

All you really need is familiarity with the tools you have, and the shape of your head and the angle at which you cut.

Don't force yourself to reach BBS all at once. Just listen with your ears and feel with your skin. As long as you don't use too much force or be too impatient, experience will slowly lead you in a good direction.

I just started to shave my head again after almost a decade off from it.

Years ago, I started head-shaving with cartridges because that's what I was using on my face at the time. When I switched to DE on my face, I did so on my head too, and found that DEs work great for head-shaving. Here are a few hints based on my experience:
  • Start with a medium-aggressive razor and a "milder" blade, like an Astra SP. Aggressive razors give you a wider range of shaving angles and don't require as much precision in technique. Maneuvering around the back of your head is hard enough without also needing a super-precise angle.

I wouldn't go too aggressive, though, like a Muehle R41. I used a RazoRock German 37/Astra combination last week and got good results. The RazoRock Game Changer .84P/Suneko combo I used this week was somewhat milder and even better all around.

• Plan on two passes, with the grain and across the grain, on your first couple tries. Against the grain is certainly possible, but start easy. You'll be surprised at how much more thoroughly each pass on your scalp gets shaved compared to your face. The scalp is actually a much better and easier shaving surface than your face, since it's basically just skin over bone.

After a while start, replacing XTG with ATG and see if it works for you. There's a visible difference in how shiny your dome gets! :)

• Take your time on the back of your head. I prefer to shave in short strokes straight down to the neck and work my way around, constantly feeling the results with my free hand as I go and doing corrections as needed. This is where the cartridge has the advantage, because you can just "mow" the same spots over and over in any direction. It takes more a disciplined approach with a DE, but it's not that difficult.

I've tried various DE and SE razors for head shaving: Rockwell 6C, Henson AL13 (+, ++ and +++), Blackland Vector, Yaqi Tile, Ever Ready GEM... none of them perform as well as my Leaf razor, loaded in all three slots with half DE blades. I can do a full head shave WTG and ATG with a little clean up afterwards without any issues. The Leaf has a pivoting head, which helps find and maintain the right angle, a long handle, and the ability to tune the shave by deciding how many blades you want, and where you want them. Clogging isn't an issue because the blades are spaced widely enough to allow easy pass-through of lather and stubble. Its the best combination of DE, SE and cartridge I've tested.

Been using mine for a year, and nothing else I've tried comes close. But, like all razors, it takes some getting used to, and there's no substitute for developing a decent technique.

I've tried the Rockwell 6C, Blackland Vector, Yaqi Tile (How would you compare this to the Hensons? Which one is it closer to? The AL13+ or ++? My best results with the razors listed above are the Vector with a Professional Super blade and Rockwell 6C.

Another option for the OP is maybe the Yaqi Remus/Romulus if he wants to try an AC razor out at a much cheaper price. I also have the Yaqi Raster, and for the price, the shave isn't that far off the Vector with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. I only just got the Vector, but it's not working as well for me as I would have hoped. Most other blades apart from the Professional Super are only getting me DFS and only BBS is some spots/areas while it's taking a while to get there (45 minutes+). Rockwell 6C would be my next best as it takes a touch more time, but shave isn't as close.

I've also been thinking of trying a GEM razor out. Is the Ever Ready GEM a modern GEM razor, or an older model? I'll have to look it up.

I've got an alternate take on the Leaf, though, as I also have that (it's the second DE/Half DE blade razor I bought). I only used it for a short time (a couple of months) and then stopped using it. I bought the Leaf Thorn at the same time and used that about 80% more. I hated the pivoting head as I couldn't cleanup the back of my head with it at all. I couldn't get anywhere past CCS/DFS on the back of my head with it. I've only ever tried two blades in it, though, not sure if a third half DE blade would make a difference in the slot furthest back?

I wouldn't go too aggressive, though, like a Muehle R41. I used a RazoRock German 37/Astra combination last week and got good results. The RazoRock Game Changer .84P/Suneko combo I used this week was somewhat milder and even better all around.

With the Rockwell 6C, I always use the #6 plate. I've been looking at trying either the Game Changer 1.05-P or 0.84-P, but I don't know if the 0.84mm would be too mild?

Plan on two passes, with the grain and across the grain, on your first couple tries. Against the grain is certainly possible, but start easy. You'll be surprised at how much more thoroughly each pass on your scalp gets shaved compared to your face. The scalp is actually a much better and easier shaving surface than your face, since it's basically just skin over bone.

I actually find it harder to do a head shave than a face shave. I don't face shave anymore (apart from cleanup around the beard), but I found it easier to face shave. The head, I don't have any padding and I find the back, back top sides hard to cleanup. I do a lot of pulling and multiple ATG passes to get in between DFS & BBS.

I've definitely gotten better, and the OP will too with more time and practice, but just wanted to point out that everyone's head is different and it also depends upon what level they're happy with. I'd be happy with DFS/BBS, but just getting it done in a quicker amount of time is all I want right now (Not 45+ minutes. It's not enjoyable anymore taking that long). I've even been thinking of trying a cartridge razor as I never really used them when first starting a couple of years ago.

Also, hopefully this helps for the OP - I used a DE razor for the first time on my head (no face shaves to practice on beforehand as I had just grown a beard for the first time, just straight to my head with the DE - I used a mild DE razor, though), so I got a few nicks and cuts, but it went OK for never having shaved with a DE razor before. Definitely, like you said, use a milder blade to start with in a medium/slightly aggressive razor.

Take your time on the back of your head. I prefer to shave in short strokes straight down to the neck and work my way around, constantly feeling the results with my free hand as I go and doing corrections as needed. This is where the cartridge has the advantage, because you can just "mow" the same spots over and over in any direction. It takes more a disciplined approach with a DE, but it's not that difficult.

I think it's always the ATG passes that cause most of the irritation. For me, the shave always go good until I start doing multiple ATG passes on the back of the head to clean it up as I'm still at CCS level after WTG and XTG passes. I also tend to get a few nicks on the top of my head near the crown for some reason (I always take my time and not apply much pressure in that area, but with a new blade, I sometimes get a nick or two there (weeper or whatever you call it). Not sure why.

Last edited:
With the Rockwell 6C, I always use the #6 plate. I've been looking at trying either the Game Changer 1.05-P or 0.84-P, but I don't know if the 0.84mm would be too mild?

It might be. Despite its sizable blade gap, the .84P is still a semi-mild razor by overall standards. The good thing is that you can buy one of them and get the other baseplate for only about $25 more. I have .68P, .76P, and .84P plates for my GC. If I want to go more aggressive than that, I'll just break out the German 37.

For me, shaving around the chin and jawline is far more difficult than anything to do with head-shaving, other than maybe getting those annoying hairs in the crevice between the ear and scalp.

After a week and five shaves with the Bayonetta, I'm getting the hang of it. I have a few problem areas, but if I take my time and pay attention, it's all good. I've learned not to chase BBS, it always ends up feeling much smoother 30 minutes later when my skin settles down. I have a Yates Winning on order and plan to use that for a nearly fool-proof DE head shave.

The worst DE beats the best cartridge in my opinion.

I haven’t tried the Bayonetta or the Yates but I’m sure you’ll be just fine with those options. From there I’d experiment with different blade selections and shaving creams.

Go slow and carefully at first, and then figure out where your trouble areas are and adjust accordingly.

I usually do a slow and thorough WTG pass, and my second pass is just for clean up (little bit more WTG and some XTG). Going ATG never felt worth the irritation risk for me, but to each their own.

I have tried head shaving with a straight before. Not as terrifying as it seems, but it takes longer with a worse overall result in my case. I’ll still sometimes grab it for a quick clean up with I notice that I missed a spot.

I've tried the Rockwell 6C, Blackland Vector, Yaqi Tile (How would you compare this to the Hensons? Which one is it closer to? The AL13+ or ++? My best results with the razors listed above are the Vector with a Professional Super blade and Rockwell 6C.

Another option for the OP is maybe the Yaqi Remus/Romulus if he wants to try an AC razor out at a much cheaper price. I also have the Yaqi Raster, and for the price, the shave isn't that far off the Vector with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. I only just got the Vector, but it's not working as well for me as I would have hoped. Most other blades apart from the Professional Super are only getting me DFS and only BBS is some spots/areas while it's taking a while to get there (45 minutes+). Rockwell 6C would be my next best as it takes a touch more time, but shave isn't as close.

I've also been thinking of trying a GEM razor out. Is the Ever Ready GEM a modern GEM razor, or an older model? I'll have to look it up.

I've got an alternate take on the Leaf, though, as I also have that (it's the second DE/Half DE blade razor I bought). I only used it for a short time (a couple of months) and then stopped using it. I bought the Leaf Thorn at the same time and used that about 80% more. I hated the pivoting head as I couldn't cleanup the back of my head with it at all. I couldn't get anywhere past CCS/DFS on the back of my head with it. I've only ever tried two blades in it, though, not sure if a third half DE blade would make a difference in the slot furthest back?

I actually find it harder to do a head shave than a face shave. I don't face shave anymore (apart from cleanup around the beard), but I found it easier to face shave. The head, I don't have any padding and I find the back, back top sides hard to cleanup. I do a lot of pulling and multiple ATG passes to get in between DFS & BBS.

I've definitely gotten better, and the OP will too with more time and practice, but just wanted to point out that everyone's head is different and it also depends upon what level they're happy with. I'd be happy with DFS/BBS, but just getting it done in a quicker amount of time is all I want right now (Not 45+ minutes. It's not enjoyable anymore taking that long). I've even been thinking of trying a cartridge razor as I never really used them when first starting a couple of years ago.

Also, hopefully this helps for the OP - I used a DE razor for the first time on my head (no face shaves to practice on beforehand as I had just grown a beard for the first time, just straight to my head with the DE - I used a mild DE razor, though), so I got a few nicks and cuts, but it went OK for never having shaved with a DE razor before. Definitely, like you said, use a milder blade to start with in a medium/slightly aggressive razor.

I think it's always the ATG passes that cause most of the irritation. For me, the shave always go good until I start doing multiple ATG passes on the back of the head to clean it up as I'm still at CCS level after WTG and XTG passes. I also tend to get a few nicks on the top of my head near the crown for some reason (I always take my time and not apply much pressure in that area, but with a new blade, I sometimes get a nick or two there (weeper or whatever you call it). Not sure why.
The Yaqi Tile is on a par with the ++ and may even be mid-way between that and the +++. Where I struggle with both Henson and Tile is getting close enough against the grain: I simply can't get as close as I want, which is likely more to do with my hair type than anything else.

I think in the Leaf, have three blades in there makes a LOT of difference. I've tried two and three blades, and three wins out every time. The pivot does make a lot of difference for me in maintaining the right angle, so the Leaf works brilliantly. Like everything though, practice makes perfect, and I use the Leaf three times a week and have done to a year, so I'm pretty comfortable and familiar with it now.

After a week and five shaves with the Bayonetta, I'm getting the hang of it. I have a few problem areas, but if I take my time and pay attention, it's all good. I've learned not to chase BBS, it always ends up feeling much smoother 30 minutes later when my skin settles down. I have a Yates Winning on order and plan to use that for a nearly fool-proof DE head shave.
I just had a look at the Bayonetta and it looks like a nice razor. What is the average price of it?

What aggression level is the Yates Winning (Mild, Medium, Aggressive)?

I use a DE (slant) or SE (Gem) and it works just fine. I've pretty much settled on WTG and then ATG, then go back and clean up a little.

I can't remember, but I recall you mentioning slants before. I was thinking of getting The Game Changer 1.05-P, but I read a user review of the Razorock Wunderbar (I wasn't looking at the Wunderbar Slant specifically, just came across the review while looking at something else). This is what the customer review mentioned "This is a standout razor for coarse hair paired with sensitive skin, and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase."
A few weeks ago, I was actually thinking I have somewhat sensitive skin (I only say this due to the small nicks/cuts I get most shaves, but then again, those nicks could be due to the amount of passes), but also medium coarse/coarse hair. Most razors I've tried aren't aggressive enough to get a smooth shave that I prefer (DFS/BBS about 80% BBS in most areas and 20% DFS in my tougher spots)

If looking at trying a slant, where would I start? I'm in AU, so I'd need something that is widely available. Also, if looking at Razorock specifically, what would you have to get from their new slants (L1, L2, L3 etc.) that is similar to the Wunderbar, or are they not really comparable? If you haven't used any of those Razorock razors, all good. Any recommendations on what slants you have used would be good.

I'll have to go find a video on how one is used as I don't really know how they work. Do many head shavers use a slant that you know of?

It might be. Despite its sizable blade gap, the .84P is still a semi-mild razor by overall standards. The good thing is that you can buy one of them and get the other baseplate for only about $25 more. I have .68P, .76P, and .84P plates for my GC. If I want to go more aggressive than that, I'll just break out the German 37.

Hmm, this is a good idea. I might ask the local reseller here if he has the separate baseplates for sale. I'm thinking I could buy the 0.84-P to start with and then just buy the 1.05-P baseplate to try if the 0.84-P doesn't do a good enough job. I don't know if I should just jump up to the 1.05-P first, though, or get the more milder 0.84 first.

For me, shaving around the chin and jawline is far more difficult than anything to do with head-shaving, other than maybe getting those annoying hairs in the crevice between the ear and scalp.

I guess we are all different. I find doing that crevice between the ear and scalp easy for me, but I also use SE razors, so they get in there pretty good. I haven't done much face shaving, though, as I grew a short/medium length beard just before I used a DE razor for the first time (which was just under a couple of years ago). I do find cleaning up the jawline not so easy, as I do cleanup in that area and also cleanup the cheek line.

The Yaqi Tile is on a par with the ++ and may even be mid-way between that and the +++. Where I struggle with both Henson and Tile is getting close enough against the grain: I simply can't get as close as I want, which is likely more to do with my hair type than anything else.

Thanks a lot for that info. Well, darn, then the Hensons wouldn't be good for me as I find the Yaqi Tile too mild. Just like you, I can't get anywhere against the grain with it. I have up after about an hour with 3 or 4 ATG passes drying to get between DFS/BBS on the back of the head. I barely got DFS and just left it at that. I think I have coarse hair, though, maybe not super coarse, but coarse enough.

I think in the Leaf, have three blades in there makes a LOT of difference. I've tried two and three blades, and three wins out every time. The pivot does make a lot of difference for me in maintaining the right angle, so the Leaf works brilliantly. Like everything though, practice makes perfect, and I use the Leaf three times a week and have done to a year, so I'm pretty comfortable and familiar with it now.

I'll have to try it with three blades then. I never thought to try it with three blades as I didn't think it would make much difference. I thought it was the first (closest) two that would make all the difference. Didn't think it's worth breaking a second blade in half to try three half DE blades. Then again, the back of my head might differ a bit from yours and the Leaf just might not suit me no matter what I do with it.

Last edited:
Henson Razor First Use: October 14, 2021
"First ever Face and Head shave with the Henson AL 13 Mild. I had my doubts with the small blade gap but the results just blew me away! Ridiculously good!"

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 04/28/2024
Total shave with Henson Razors: 888
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson + = 434
Henson ++ = 176
Henson +++ = 278

Paul aka the self proclaimed Henson King

@Ice09, I consider the Bayonetta a bargain. A CNC machined razor made in Italy from CW510L brass at $57 US. The Bayonetta is often descibed as mild/medium.

The videos and reviews I've found on the Yates Winning describe it as mild yet paradoxically efficient. It's a CNC machined stainless steel razor made in the USA.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I can't remember, but I recall you mentioning slants before. I was thinking of getting The Game Changer 1.05-P, but I read a user review of the Razorock Wunderbar

To be clear, the Wunderbar is an excellent razor. It can be a bit on the heavy side, but on the other hand I like a moderately massy razor. It's also well known as a slant that not only rewards but demands good technique. It can bite. I would say it falls in the "advanced" category and you'd be fine with it after honing your technique on a more gentle razor.

One thing I'll say up top here is that technique is king. I know we hear that all the time, but it really is true. Even if you think your technique is on point, spending a bit of time paying attention to what you do usually pays off in a better shave. We all have times when getting done and getting out the door is important, but if you've got a bit less time pressure it's a great time for a focus on technique and prep. I made a minor change to my lathering and prep a month or so ago, and the shaves are better than ever.

I find the real close shaves pretty much require me to go back and clean up areas that didn't get close enough the first time. They're pretty close, and lots of days I accept that as good enough, but some days that little stubble annoys the heck out of me. I also keep in mind the words of that revered Sage of Shave @Ron R who once said something along the lines of, "The difference between a good shave and a great shave is often a little aftershave balm and an hour." I've found many times that a shave that tempted me to be really OCD about getting close would "get closer" once the skin rehydrated. Something to keep in mind.

If looking at trying a slant, where would I start? I'm in AU, so I'd need something that is widely available. Also, if looking at Razorock specifically, what would you have to get from their new slants (L1, L2, L3 etc.) that is similar to the Wunderbar, or are they not really comparable? If you haven't used any of those Razorock razors, all good. Any recommendations on what slants you have used would be good.

For an indepth look at the slants I've used, search for "The Tilted Picnic" here on B&B. For several years I posted reviews of a variety of slants. My problem with The Tilted Picnic is that now I've pretty much settled on some very nice razors and I'm not digging around trying to find better ones.

That said, you've got some choices. Adjustable or not? Two or three piece? Stainless, Zamak, plastic or a luxury metal? Are you well versed in fiddling with a razor to get things lined up, or do you prefer a razor that is good to go out of the box?

RazoRock's Superslants are darn fine razors. My personal sweet spot appears to be the L2OC ("L2++OC"). I had a beautiful BBS with that yesterday, and 30 hours later I was still smooth enough to pass in a dressy situation. I also have the L3SB which is just noticeably more aggressive than the L2, but as an SB razor there's functionally little difference between that and the L2OC. I have yet to decide to try the L3OC, but I may yet do that.

Ice09: I'll have to go find a video on how one is used as I don't really know how they work. Do many head shavers use a slant that you know of?

They work just like a plain DE. Only better. :) Lots of people use them.

O.H.

Top Bottom