What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

After a few warm up shots, no shooting the past few days (snow, rain, minus temps), I managed to post these.

5/10 in the black on my first set of 10 shots from 10m today.

proxy.php

7/10 in the black on my second set of 10 shots from 10m today. I quit after this one as I wanted to end on a high note.

proxy.php

I got back into slingshots last year. I started making my own pouches. Here is an example made from high quality oiled cow's leather. I built a press that allows me to mold a cup into each pouch. The cup accommodates balls of at least .50 cal.

As ammo containers I repurpose large Tic Tac containers and Kinder Surprise Egg capsules.

proxy.php

cupped pouch, face

proxy.php

cupped pouch, backside

proxy.php

.50 cal ball

proxy.php

Nicely done [MENTION=32192]hotwheels[/MENTION]. Great job on those pouches.

I tried making my own pouches but they didn't go over too well. Once I started using the die cut ones from SlingShot vendors, my desire to make my own fizzled out. I'll stick to making naturals and cutting my own bands.

Those tictac containers are genius for carrying various ammo.

Thanks!

I make the pouches by first cutting the strip to length. I then place a template on it and mark the center of the cup and the two holes. I punch the holes with an arch punch. Then I use a homemade tool to press the cup into the leather. It's certainly not worth making them if you try to save money!

I use Tic Tac containers for organizing all sorts of small things: hardware, spices, pills - just kidding about the pills.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like the way those groups are shrinking there Bruce.

I'm gonna have to get mine out tomorrow and see what I can do. Don't expect any pics. as I'd be too embarrassed to post them.

After target shooting for the last while, I decided to go back to the can and have a little fun tonight.

I strung up a Pepsi can, grabbed my FlatCat, some ammo and went to work. A few shots to dial everything in and I was off. Ding! I had forgotten how nice that sound and feeling was. It was hanging by a thread of tin for a while, but there was no way I was going to let it hang there mocking me until the next session.

Don't bother asking me how many shots it took, as I lost count very early. Tonight was all about fun!

Woohoo.

proxy.php

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
After target shooting for the last while, I decided to go back to the can and have a little fun tonight.

I strung up a Pepsi can, grabbed my FlatCat, some ammo and went to work. A few shots to dial everything in and I was off. Ding! I had forgotten how nice that sound and feeling was. It was hanging by a thread of tin for a while, but there was no way I was going to let it hang there mocking me until the next session.

Don't bother asking me how many shots it took, as I lost count very early. Tonight was all about fun!

Woohoo.

proxy.php

Wow...just wow.

I surrender.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
It is much more satisfying to shoot solid targets than paper. If you have a way to contain the mess, beer bottles are the ultimate target.

Wow...just wow.

I surrender.

Give it a try Mike. It's easier then it looks.
It is much more satisfying to shoot solid targets than paper. If you have a way to contain the mess, beer bottles are the ultimate target.
No doubt. I need to make a new catchbox soon. It will be large enough to incorporate a few solid targets, places to hang cans and such.

Back at it today and much better results.

I cut this one in about 10-15 shots, a few misses but the majority hit with no warm up shots. It was much more satisfying go do it in less then one round of ammo on my magnetic clip.

Time to take up drinking so I can get some more targets :w00t:

proxy.php

Last edited:
I just ordered these, couldn't resist the sale and free shipping to Canada.

$30 - Black/Red Scout Gen 2 with red FlipClips
$65_std_1440081898.jpg

$22 - Green Torque
$torque1__45286.1454337908.595.595.jpg

This reminds me of a video someone linked to my Facebook feed - it was a circular slingshot called the Pocket Shot (a ring with a drawback flexible pouch). Capable of hunting, or shooting arrows per the videos. Seemed interesting.

I've never shot a "real" slingshot (just toy versions); I wonder how it compares to shooting a pistol. I'd assume a lot less noise and gunpowder smell.

[MENTION=67753]Teppanyaki[/MENTION]

I believe most slingshot enthusiasts consider the Pocket Shot to be gimicky. I've never seen one first hand and probably never will. A small flat, pocketable slingshot is just as easy to carry, conceal, will be more accurate and throw ammo with more velocity. Not to mention, the bands are cheaper and easier to replace on a traditional frame.

They do make some slingbows now that guys are hunting small game with. A lot of guys are taking rabbit, squirrel and birds with lead ammo and slingshots. They are skilled, able to kill them humanly, head shot and no noise. I'm just killing cans with mine, no desire to hunt.

Slingshots are quite fun. They take some patience and practice. I've heard the margin or error and aiming is much more sensitive vs a pistol or handgun. When you factor in two hands, draw & hold, there is plenty going on to miss your target vs aiming and pulling a trigger. But again, I'm not a gun enthusiasts either, so it is just based on what I've read.

Last edited:
I picked up this little guy up from the owner of MetroGradeGoods here locally and hit the can my first 8 shots with it.

The neon lanyard is a magnetic necklace ammo holder.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Giant catchbox in the works.

Box size:
4' wide
4' high
2' deep

Room for plenty of different target types. I still need a slopped base to catch the ammo from the drop cloth.

The tarp is just to keep it dry from all the rain we have been having.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
A beautiful day here, spending it around the yard, tweaking the catchbox, playing with the kids/dogs and a bit of shooting.

It took me 12 shots to hit the milk cap the first time. Then 3 more shots to hit it again and nailed it on my next shot. 10m, 1/4" ammo, MGG Oren

The new catchbox is amazing. I'm so glad I went BIG. I finally put an angled floor in it too, which makes ammo pick up a breeze.

proxy.php

I have a marker for 10m. Will place ones at 15, 20, 25 and 7m for the kids.

View from 10m
proxy.php

From 15m
proxy.php

From 25, down the length of our house and fence
proxy.php

Working on a little Oak natural. It is done carving and sanding, just finishing up the Tung Oil finish.

I did band it up and dry fired if to see how it fits and feels.....perfect. It probably won't handle 1" bands too well, but I prefer 1/2" or so for most of my shooting anyway.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
And we're done.

Feels good in my hand being my smallest natural yet. The first few shots were promising.

It was made with a 4-1 file, Opinel and Sandpaper, my first time making one without the use of any power tools or stationary tools.

Finished with lots of sanding and about 5-6 coats of Tung Oil.

Total height: 5"
Fork width: 1.5"
Fork length: 1.75'

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Next to my MGG Oren for comparison.