What's new

My First DE Shave after nearly 30 years - R89/Ikon OSS w/Astra SP

So after decided to take the plunge back into DE Shaving, I ordered one, two and three razors so far (yeah the tally is now at 3)

The first one I ordered was the AS-D2 thinking it was going to be one and done and Amazon is yet to ship my AS-D2 )welcome to free shipping on Amazon) and my 100 feather blades (think it finally shipped today as we speak).

I ordered a R89 head with a OSS handle along with other goodies from shaving.ie and props to Chris and team and shaving.ie, the package got to me in 5 days from Eire.

Without much adieu, I decided to try out my first DE shave after nearly 30 years. Lathered up good with some 1805, popped in a Astra SP into the R89 and gave it a go. After 3 passes (I was being extra careful and I also totally miscalculated the heft of the OSS handle...In Hindsight, I should have stuck to regular R89 Grande vs R89 head with OSS handle) and the last one with some shaving against the grain..voila...I had the smoothest shave from a DE razor after 30 years.

Barring a small nick under the lip (still getting the hang of it) during one of the passes, it was pretty much incident free and great results too.

I was expecting a somewhat bloody face with some nicks and cuts but it was almost a bloodless event.

I totally miscalculated on the weight and heft of a heavy handle (I like length but not the weight...or so I learnt the hard way) and the weight was dragging my hand almost. Maybe I'll get used to it after a while but after 30 years from the cartridge world, anything metal feels heavy for now.

I am still awaiting my first go with the Feather AS-D2 whenever it arrives...hopefully in the next few days.

I also ended up ordering a 3rd razor from Amazon mainly because I wanted a TTO ( the DE razor I used back then was a TTO) and I'll have a trial run with that one as well. It is a Parker 66R which is supposedly brand new for 2016 from Parker along with the 76R.

Anyone tried either the 66R or 76R yet? They have good reviews on Amazon (almost close to a 5 rating). Price ain't too shabby either.

OK I am officially baptized now into the brotherhood of DE shaving and hoping to say goodbye to my Fusion Proglide and the expensive cartridges.

I myself am waiting for the AS-D2 for the tryout. Should be here in the next few days.

Meanwhile I got myself acquainted with DE shaving again with whatever I got in the mail first.

Not bad. The R89 is a pretty mild razor from my experience and hopefully so is the AS-D2

Top Bottom