What's new

My GRAIL RAZOR appeared… after EIGHT YEARS at B&B and DE Shaving.

They are the same. Blackbirds are CNC milled with tight tolerances.

Here are the "tight tolerances" of the OC plate that I received:

There's a blade loaded so you can compare its straight edge against the varying lengths of the teeth:

blackbird-oc-1.jpg

Here's a comparison to the SB plate so you can see that the OC plate isn't even the same size:

blackbird-oc-2.jpg

Blackland has excellent customer service so I received a full refund but you shouldn't assume that every CNC razor part is perfect.

Here are the "tight tolerances" of the OC plate that I received:

There's a blade loaded so you can compare its straight edge against the varying lengths of the teeth:

View attachment 1710531

Here's a comparison to the SB plate so you can see that the OC plate isn't even the same size:

View attachment 1710532

Blackland has excellent customer service so I received a full refund but you shouldn't assume that every CNC razor part is perfect.
On the pls with the blade loaded, due to the lighting I can only see the side that is on top in the photo, and I can't really see what you are talking about. I can see some parallax in the photo. If Shane agreed with you, then I sure you are correct.

I still think, your experience notwithstanding, it was a little bit weird of you to question whether his razor might have that problem, too, especially given that he had just reported that for him it was the best DE razor he had ever used.

Out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to) did you shave with the razor you got before you had it replaced, or did you visually see the problem and decide it was best to return/replace before you tried it? I'm only curious because I wonder how much, if any, the visual issue you found would have effected the quality of the shave or the feel of the razor on your face?

IME, there are sometimes fairly significant visual flaws that don't effect the shave. I had a Fatip and it often loaded the blade a bit crooked. At first I would find out the blade was skeewampus after I finished the shave, and it shaved fine. Another example is that I purchased an iKon S3S used from a guy who had dropped it and visually dented the safety bar. He swore that it didnt affect the shave, and I really wanted the razor (which came at a pretty gold discount because of the dented safety bar) and the guy was right! It looks like it would be horrible, but it provides a perfectly good shave.

I guess if I were the least bit OCD that dent would bother me. Thank goodness I don't have an OCD bone in my body, and I have enjoyed the razor every time it has come up in the rotation.

In short (i know, too late for that, lol) manufacturers talk about precision down to fractions of a millimeter, which is good, but my experience tells me that that kind of precision isn't really necessary to provide a close, comfortable shave. Y'all's experience may well vary, and that's ok, too.

On the pls with the blade loaded, due to the lighting I can only see the side that is on top in the photo, and I can't really see what you are talking about. I can see some parallax in the photo. If Shane agreed with you, then I sure you are correct.

I still think, your experience notwithstanding, it was a little bit weird of you to question whether his razor might have that problem, too, especially given that he had just reported that for him it was the best DE razor he had ever used.

Out of curiosity (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to) did you shave with the razor you got before you had it replaced, or did you visually see the problem and decide it was best to return/replace before you tried it? I'm only curious because I wonder how much, if any, the visual issue you found would have effected the quality of the shave or the feel of the razor on your face?

I mistyped and referred to the blade when the straight edge in picture 1 is actually the top cap and there was no blade loaded.

If you look at the top left of picture 1 and then move along to the top right while following the straight edge of the top cap you'll see that the teeth get shorter. The opposite is true for the bottom: the teeth get longer as you move from left to right.

Then in picture 2 it's obvious that the plates aren't even the same size overall.

I didn't bother shaving with it because it was immediately obvious that this was a defective part when compared to the SB plate.

Hoping to brighten this thread up again... here's a pic of today's shave.

Cal's Grail Razor SOTD
SOTD-BBOCF-O_2023-08-31.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Blackbird OC Filament
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (8)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A very fine shave. :biggrin:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Top Bottom