What's new

New Stainless-Steel/Machined-Finish BLACKLAND BLACKBIRD | My Seven Shave Trial starts…

My Blackbird arrived today. :biggrin:

Here it is:
Blackbird-Ready-1_2023-08-09.jpg

Blackbird-Ready-2_2023-08-09.jpg

Blackbird-End-On_2023-08-09.jpg

I watched Shane’s video on how to get started and intend following that… barring the shallow shaving (and the “only with the grain” first shave). I’m a natural steep shaver (guard rider), but I’ll explain about that once my seven shave trial is complete.

This trial will be conducted differently from my usual “new razor trial” modus operandi, thus:
  • I won’t weigh and measure all the razor parts until the end of the trial (I suspect doing that first colors my judgment of how the razor will perform).
  • I’ll use alum after each shave to check if I’ve made any mistakes (then rinse it off).
I hate repeating myself, but for those of you who don’t know…
I have coarse, abundant, and fast-growing whiskers; and I believe my skin is average (i.e. not sensitive OR leathery).

First Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-Y_2023-08-09.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Simpson Wee Scot 13/39
Soap: Clubman
Razor: Blackland Blackbird (1)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (1)
TEST: Lea 120g Alum Stick
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

Considering that this was my first Blackbird shave, it was excellent (not to mention BBS). :biggrin:

The blade felt just right, and accurate edging of sideburns and mustache was easy. I was being careful (as I always am), but more so with a brand new to me razor.

The alum test gave me an all over uniform tiny tingle, so I was happy with that (then washed it off).

I didn't even notice the heavy (for my taste) handle.

I must say that I'm looking forward to the next six consecutive Blackbird shaves. :w00t:

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
My Blackbird arrived today. :biggrin:

Here it is:
Blackbird-Ready-1_2023-08-09.jpg

Blackbird-Ready-2_2023-08-09.jpg

Blackbird-End-On_2023-08-09.jpg

I watched Shane’s video on how to get started and intend following that… barring the shallow shaving (and the “only with the grain” first shave). I’m a natural steep shaver (guard rider), but I’ll explain about that once my seven shave trial is complete.

This trial will be conducted differently from my usual “new razor trial” modus operandi, thus:
  • I won’t weigh and measure all the razor parts until the end of the trial (I suspect doing that first colors my judgment of how the razor will perform).
  • I’ll use alum after each shave to check if I’ve made any mistakes (then rinse it off).
I hate repeating myself, but for those of you who don’t know…
I have coarse, abundant, and fast-growing whiskers; and I believe my skin is average (i.e. not sensitive OR leathery).

First Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-Y_2023-08-09.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (1)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (1)
ASL: Clubman Classic Vanilla

Considering that this was my first Blackbird shave, it was excellent (not to mention BBS). :biggrin:

The blade felt just right, and accurate edging of sideburns and mustache was easy. I was being careful (as I always am), but more so with a brand new to me razor.

The alum test gave me an all over uniform tiny tingle, so I was happy with that (then washed it off).

I didn't even notice the heavy (for my taste) handle.

I must say that I'm looking forward to the next six consecutive Blackbird shaves. :w00t:

Do not fear riding it steep, despite Shane’s recommendation. I ride it silly steep and NOTHING gives me a better shave.

Hope you will also have a go using the razor shallow. It’s a very different experience with this razor and was a revelation to me just how differently it shaves steep vs shallow. It’s almost like two different razors, for me at least. I’m not saying you should prefer one or the other - that’s a matter for your preferences.

Second Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-G_2023-08-10.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (2)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (2)
ASL: Duru Limon Kolonya 80°

Another great shave. :biggrin:

Once again, everything felt right. I can't explain it, but this razor feels totally different to any other razor I've used (lots)... and in a very good way. I'm even loving the heavy (for me) handle (having settled in nicely with my super 15 gram GT handles by my good friend Doug @Rosseforp).

Like yesterday, the alum test gave me an all over uniform tiny tingle which I was happy with.

I'm already considering purchasing the Open Comb baseplate... AND adding to my signature! :devil:

@Cal
Congrats on the SS Blackbird and wishing you many happy shaves in the future... I've been using a Ti Blackbird for just over 2yrs now as my sole razor and added the OC plate for use on 4+ days growth and it actually is a little more than I can actually handle as its quite aggressive compared to the SB base plate. I think I've only used it like 3 times so far and its been a while since I've used it...

Third Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-B_2023-08-11.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (3)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (3)
ASL: Caffè Latte [home brew]

A superb shave. :biggrin:

Only three shaves in and I'm a convert. I would guess that I had the Blackbird dialed in after the first shave, but experience tells me to continue for at least seven shaves (there are always new things to learn [especially when you don't think so :lol1:]).

Shock surprise! I've just ordered the OC baseplate. :laugh:

Fourth Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-K_2023-08-12.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (4)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (4)
ASL: Aqua Velva Ice Blue

A fine shave. :biggrin:

Little by little my technique's improving with the Blackbird. I'm really enjoying this trial run. :w00t:

Fifth Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-W_2023-08-13.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (5)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (5)
ASL: Hogwarts Express [home brew]
A magical shave. :sorcerer:
(Touch wood) the shaves get better every time. The alum test registered close to nil today. All is well in ZenShaveLand. :clap:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Fifth Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-W_2023-08-13.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (5)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (5)
ASL: Hogwarts Express [home brew]
A magical shave. :sorcerer:
(Touch wood) the shaves get better every time. The alum test registered close to nil today. All is well in ZenShaveLand. :clap:

Congrats, Cal. It's always nice to hit on a razor that just works for someone's face and shaving preferences. Congrats, again.

Sixth Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-P_2023-08-14.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (6)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (6)
ASL: Orange FREEZE [home brew]

A great shave. :biggrin:
I love my Blackbird! :001_wub:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sixth Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-P_2023-08-14.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (6)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (6)
ASL: Orange FREEZE [home brew]

A great shave. :biggrin:
I love my Blackbird! :001_wub:

Glad your enjoying your new Blackland Blackbird, what is the audio feedback on your razor? I like a razor that talks to you while shaving with audio feedback.

Seventh Blackbird Shave
SOTD-Blackbird-O_2023-08-15.jpg

Razor: Blackland Blackbird (7)
Blade: Gillette 7o’clock Black (7)
ASL: Spearmint BLAST [home brew]

A fabulous shave. :biggrin:

This razor just gets better (or maybe it's the operator getting better at using it :laugh:). I'm so glad I've completed the seven-shave trial; this baby's certainly exceeded my expectations. :w00t:

WHY I SHAVE STEEP

My DE journey started in late October 2015 (when I joined B&B). At that time I had never heard of steep and shallow shaving.

I discovered the Excalibur Club thread and read every post in it (53 pages at that time). I then joined as a “neophyte” member (on January 19, 2016).

I love experiments and was using “Excalibur” to increase the life of my blades (which meant improving my technique).

I considered @bosseb to be my mentor and started shaving shallow (having discovered that I was naturally shaving steep). For the first time in my life, I started getting irritation and razor burn. I went back to steep and all irritation disappeared after two shaves.

I continued to follow @bosseb’s advice (barring shaving shallow) and ended up from single-digit shaves on a blade to 120 on June 1, 2017.

Top Bottom