What's new

Why is my Fatip OC Slant such a let-down, going against all the reviews?

Hi everyone, first post here after many years of DE shaving.
TL;DR: my Fatip il Piccolo Storto is tugging, not efficient, and not living up to the hype.

Preface: i'm not into switching things up for the sake of it. After getting the hang of DE shaving with a Muhle Rytmo, I got myself a Merkur 39C closed combed slant because I read that the guillotine-style cutting would be more efficient in removing coarse hair. That proved to be true and I was (and still am) happy with the Merkur. I always use Feather blades and take my time.

But recently, I wondered how an open comb would further improve my situation. I have course visible hair, with distinct thick hairs laying flat near the adam's apple, combined with sensitive skin. Using the Merkur, those visible neck hairs would often remain a bit too long and visible for my liking. And of course, the more I tried passing that problematic area (both WTG and XTG) the more irritation I would get. I have long accepted that going ATG is too painful and unrealistic.

As I understand, the theory goes that a razor with an open comb would be able to reach those flat-laying hairs more easily. Less passes would be needed. I turned towards the Fatip il Piccolo Storto. Like the Merkur, it's slanted, but this one has an open comb. And the reviews have been generally positive. Great! Once I got the Fatip in my hands I was surprised by the small handle, but I worked with it.

Unfortunately, after several weeks of shaving, I must come to the conclusion that the Fatip is a disappointment. It's aggressive and tugging way too much while also missing lots of hairs, so I'm forced to do another pass. I pay extra attention to the shaving angle; I tried both shallow and steep angles (and everything in between), listening for audible feedback. It tames the razor's aggressiveness somewhat but does not improve the efficiency whatsoever. The razor just doesn't reach the flat-laying hairs and randomly skips others. I'm pulling the skin taut. When loading a new blade, the alignment would not be as even as with the Merkur, so I tried correcting that as much as possible.

This experience is all a surprise to me, because it contradicts both the theory and the raving reviews I've read. Yeah, YMMV like always, but this was a calculated switch-up with the explicit purpose to be more efficient in reaching thick hairs (from closed to open comb) and thus to spare my sensitive skin.

Nothing else has changed in my routine: I still use Feathers, my lather is good, applying a hot towel beforehand to soften the hairs, I wash my face between passes, and the alum block goes on to reduce any redness and sensation. When all done however, with the Fatip the variation in stubbleness is all over the place.

What am I missing here? What explains the consistent tugging, the insufficient reach, and the skipping of other hairs that were never a problem? Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_100629040 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230907_100629040 - Copy.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 129
  • PXL_20230907_100700857 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230907_100700857 - Copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20230911_102630752 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230911_102630752 - Copy.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 121
  • PXL_20230911_102705156 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20230911_102705156 - Copy.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 122

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thom, I've stayed away from the Fatip products for exactly the same reason. There is almost always a caveat posted by people who love their Fatip razors: they are a bit fussy and the quality control varies. It improves.... then declines.. batch to batch, it seems. They must shave well for the people who love theirs because they do rave (double entendre intended) about them. <eg>

I wish I had a magic bullet, D92. Maybe I'm lucky to have an FOCS with the right blade alignment, but its performance is magical. If you haven't already done this, take a close look from the top with a blade loaded. If blade exposure isn't even on both sides or close, that may be the problem. You may have to jiggle the blade, or maybe there's a real QC problem that can't be solved without an exchange.

I get best performance out of my FOCS with the sharpest blades--Kai, Feather (like you), GSB, etc. Also steep angle (45+ degrees) and shorter than usual strokes. I do 2 1/2 passes--XTG, ATG, and another combination of XTG and ATG on chin and neck. For me, a WTG pass is counter-productive. My guess is that it makes the hair lie flatter.

Otherwise, FOCS geometry or balance may just not work for your combination of skin, hair, and technique. It happens. The Merkur HD and I don't get along.

Maybe your favorite blade is just Not the right blade for that razor.. What works great in one razor just may not work in the next.. I would try other blades with it until you find the one that works best for the new razor....

Yeah, starting with Kai. I haven't personally gotten the calipers out, but they're supposed to be a little wider. The increased exposure should help with the tugging.

I think a lot of these threads are a combination of hype, and way too much respect for the opinions of others. Not many are willing to give honest feedback about a razor they don’t like, and when they do I feel like it’s often watered down because of the YMMV aspect of this hobby. I think the result is that only folks who like a razor, and even some that don’t, give it good-enough reviews and the folks who would normally give it negative marks just keep quiet. Sure, you see some “it didn’t work for me” here and there, but generally speaking everyone seems to absolutely love every razor, and that’s just not realistic.

In my opinion, that’s how you ended up with a highly-reviewed, crappy razor because it’s happened to me and pretty much everyone else at one point or another. Either that or it just doesn’t work for you. 😎

In my experience of Fatip razors, the sweet-spot is at a shallower angle than you think it ought to be. It's probably shallower than any other razor I have used...or at least it feels that way. And I have used my fair share.

Find the angle by riding the cap and going shallower and shallower - only very small adjustments are needed - until you hit it. I would have to get a razor out to check, but I reckon probably the handle is only about 20° off perpendicular at the point of optimal efficiency. With a Feather, it should just wipe that stubble away. Be aware that on a Fatip it is a relatively narrow sweetspot due to how the head design clamps the blade with a very low gap. It's narrower than most other razors and it can take a bit of practice with the Fatip to get used to holding such a narrow angle.

I recall then when I very first got a Fatip, it took me a good number of shaves to get used to it...then the magic happened! :sorcerer:

Edit: Also, don't worry about the alignment relative to the top-cap. Sight from underneath the razor and check that you have roughly equal amounts of comb visible at each end and on each side of the razor. If you do, that's fine. It doesn't need to be bang on - it's a Fatip! Your pictures look pretty close to what I would expect. My experience of trying to force slants to align relative to the top-cap can be that rough shaves are the result - whilst I know some folks insist on it, I believe many slants aren't designed to work that way.

If all that doesn't help then maybe it's just not for you, and that's okay.

Last edited:
TL;DR: my Fatip il Piccolo Storto is tugging, not efficient, and not living up to the hype.

Preface: i'm not into switching things up for the sake of it. After getting the hang of DE shaving with a Muhle Rytmo, I got myself a Merkur 39C closed combed slant because I read that the guillotine-style cutting would be more efficient in removing coarse hair. That proved to be true and I was (and still am) happy with the Merkur. I always use Feather blades and take my time.

But recently, I wondered how an open comb would further improve my situation. I have course visible hair, with distinct thick hairs laying flat near the adam's apple, combined with sensitive skin. Using the Merkur, those visible neck hairs would often remain a bit too long and visible for my liking. And of course, the more I tried passing that problematic area (both WTG and XTG) the more irritation I would get. I have long accepted that going ATG is too painful and unrealistic.

As I understand, the theory goes that a razor with an open comb would be able to reach those flat-laying hairs more easily. Less passes would be needed. I turned towards the Fatip il Piccolo Storto. Like the Merkur, it's slanted, but this one has an open comb. And the reviews have been generally positive. Great! Once I got the Fatip in my hands I was surprised by the small handle, but I worked with it.

Unfortunately, after several weeks of shaving, I must come to the conclusion that the Fatip is a disappointment. It's aggressive and tugging way too much while also missing lots of hairs, so I'm forced to do another pass. I pay extra attention to the shaving angle; I tried both shallow and steep angles (and everything in between), listening for audible feedback. It tames the razor's aggressiveness somewhat but does not improve the efficiency whatsoever. The razor just doesn't reach the flat-laying hairs and randomly skips others. I'm pulling the skin taut. When loading a new blade, the alignment would not be as even as with the Merkur, so I tried correcting that as much as possible.

This experience is all a surprise to me, because it contradicts both the theory and the raving reviews I've read. Yeah, YMMV like always, but this was a calculated switch-up with the explicit purpose to be more efficient in reaching thick hairs (from closed to open comb) and thus to spare my sensitive skin.

Nothing else has changed in my routine: I still use Feathers, my lather is good, applying a hot towel beforehand to soften the hairs, I wash my face between passes, and the alum block goes on to reduce any redness and sensation. When all done however, with the Fatip the variation in stubbleness is all over the place.

What am I missing here? What explains the consistent tugging, the insufficient reach, and the skipping of other hairs that were never a problem? Thanks!
An overhyped razor for me. I am still sorry I bought it. However hard I tried (with numerous very sharp blades) I couldn't get even DFS or DFS+ with it. That's my whiskers. Around 1 PM I have stubble as if I shaved yesterday, not today. It is so mild. Don't tell me how aggressive you feel the blade on your skin. That is the open comb. Or how I didn't use the right angle.

I already literally see it every week here on the forum. A newbie who has started shaving with a very mild razor a few months ago says he needs something more aggressive. Within an hour a couple of members jump and recommend the Lo Storto (or the regular Fatip OC). (Or he just read the numerous threads on how the Lo Storto is the best razor ever :c1:)

So follow the hype and keep buying those Lo Stortos. Someone should keep the "artisan company" going. :lol:

My experience wasn't much better, but most slants do horribly on my face, not for lack of trying mind you. Try as I might, never seem to get a close & comfortable shave from any slant, with the near exception of the PAA Filament, but only with certain blades. My X3 shaves nicely, but doesn't always get quite close enough for my taste, I like to finish feeling BBS, and the X3 is on the mild side. - Yet R41, Timeless 95 OC, or Rex Ambassador give outstanding shaves, and they're on the aggressive/efficient side.

In my experience of Fatip razors, the sweet-spot is at a shallower angle than you think it ought to be. It's probably shallower than any other razor I have used...or at least it feels that way. And I have used my fair share.

Find the angle by riding the cap and going shallower and shallower - only very small adjustments are needed - until you hit it. I would have to get a razor out to check, but I reckon probably the handle is only about 20° off perpendicular at the point of optimal efficiency.
Goblin--That's really shallow! I seem to do better with a much steeper angle. I'll try your method and report back.

I think a lot of these threads are a combination of hype, and way too much respect for the opinions of others. Not many are willing to give honest feedback about a razor they don’t like, and when they do I feel like it’s often watered down because of the YMMV aspect of this hobby. I think the result is that only folks who like a razor, and even some that don’t, give it good-enough reviews and the folks who would normally give it negative marks just keep quiet. Sure, you see some “it didn’t work for me” here and there, but generally speaking everyone seems to absolutely love every razor, and that’s just not realistic.

In my opinion, that’s how you ended up with a highly-reviewed, crappy razor because it’s happened to me and pretty much everyone else at one point or another. Either that or it just doesn’t work for you. 😎

Boy, I was thinking the EXACT same thoughts, and couldn't have expressed it better. 🙂👍

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Within an hour a couple of members jump and recommend the Lo Storto (or the regular Fatip OC).

I can be guilty of recommending the regular Fatip Grande OC from time to time, but I think the RazoRock “German” 37 slant does the same job better for about the same price as a regular Fatip Grande/Piccolo and can really close and comfortable shaves from the GEM Micromatic Open Comb and Gillette “post-war” Tech as well for even less money.

I can be guilty of recommending the regular Fatip Grande OC from time to time, but I think the RazoRock “German” 37 slant does the same job better for about the same price as a regular Fatip Grande/Piccolo and can really close and comfortable shaves from the GEM Micromatic Open Comb and Gillette “post-war” Tech as well for even less money.
I get a BBS with the German 37. Only need to use a very sharp blade. Even bought a spare.

I sold my 🦊 after 2 weeks. Although it didn't have any issues(alignment, plating etc), it just didn't work for me. Imo the 37C/39C slant is something special in that it removes whiskers without feeling anything. In terms of closeness, it does not shave that close after 2 passes. I only do 2 on the neck: WTG, XTG. I get ingrown hairs just by thinking of going ATG. As a result of this, the more aggressive the razor, the closer shave I get on the neck. I can get close to BBS on the face with anything, the only question is, how long it lasts. I accepted this as my reality, not everyone can get BBS.
If you want the closest shave with only 2 passes, try an R41. It isn't the smoothest razor out there (understatement), but it provides a great shave.

P.s.: now I can get a very close shave with my Mühle R89, but it needs 3 passes.

My favorite razors that are smooth and shave close are: Merkur Progress, Razorock Lupo 95 SB or OC. The 95 OC comes closest to the R41. Progress equally great but completely different feeling razor. All of these have way more bladefeel than the Merkur slants. I like it, but you might not.

I agree with @jaro 101969. I was very happy with the Fatip slant but my favourite most used blade a the time was a Voskhod which would not work in the slant. The Bic platinum accomplished the best shaves for me with the slant. I found it to be slightly more efficient than my Fatip Grande. The blade rigidity did however give up some of the comfort enjoyed with the Grande. Which I use exclusively now.

Hey, it was worth a try with minimal investment. At least you did not spend $100 or more. You can get most of your money back on the BST as the FOCS is a popular item. But I would try a couple more sharp blades just to confirm it is not your dream razor before dumping it. Also, your other variable to consider is that a closed comb slant worked better for you than an open comb version.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Goblin--That's really shallow! I seem to do better with a much steeper angle. I'll try your method and report back.

Well, I might be exaggerating at 20°, but the point is to go shallower than you normally would until you FEEL that the razor is at it's optimum efficiency. Too steep and it will feel like scraping, harsh and inefficienct as per OP's description - too shallow and, of course, it'll tug as it plucks at hairs high up their length. It's a narrow path to walk!

Top Bottom