What's new

October Mess Hall Group Cookout-Theme: Taco's

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Edit: I think I like the idea of a full week of a set theme (thanks Bruce). Some members gave multiple posts. That means you can show more than just your original dish. You could repeat all week as you see fit. There is still plenty of time to post until Sunday.....so bring it.

Okay, here's another version that I actually made a couple of weeks ago when I was checking out my new tortilla press.

Chicken Tacos made with store bought rotisserie chicken, homemade corn tortillas, lettuce, tomato, avocado, queso fresco cheese, and fresh made tomatillo salsa verde.
$Taco (roast chicken).jpg $Tomatillo Salsa Verde .jpg

Late to the party! I have been really swamped the last couple of weeks so these were simpler than I planned but good eating nonetheless. I wanted to try homemade corn tortillas and coleslaw but it didn't happen.
These are made with blackened tilapia, sautéed red onion and chives, feta cheese and sriracha. Cooked the corn tortillas in a little olive oil.
I haven't done a lot of fish tacos but they are one of my favorites and something I have wanted to improve. One cool trick I picked up was to chop the fish into chunks instead of cooking the whole filet. I coated it in olive oil and sriracha garlic seasoning then cooked on high heat to blacken. Chopping the fish before coating and seasoning gave the fish more flavor and a much nicer crisper texture. This is definitely something I'm going to keep working on, good fish tacos are hard to beat!
Everybody else's look awesome! This was a great idea.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 66

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Those look great otto76! :w00t:

I'm gonna have to try some fish tacos one of these days. I keep hearing how good they are.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
^^^Me too. Fish tacos are something different but very popular here in Austin. Good job Otto. That's three tacos I see....did you eat them all yourself?

Thanks folks!
I did eat them all. I did some running today and hadn't eaten much all day. I think I could knock out three more! But I won't.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those look great Connie. I need to get some tomatillos before they go out of season here. I make a mean tomatillo salsa but it's not as juicy as yours, and apparently has different ingredients.

Dang you Otto! I love fish tacos and empanadas that I've had in the Mexican Caribbean. Now I'm gonna have to make some.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks, Aaron. TLOML used toasted corn tortillas, while I used flour (corn hasn't agreed with me recently).

Your tacos look fantastic!

Stephen, you can also use butter lettuce as a taco shell. I've used it many times and it so easy on the stomach.

Great looking tacos Otto. I wish we could make fish tacos, but can't due to one of our child having a fish allergy.

They look perfect.

The beginnings of a breakfast taco:

$image.jpg

Sweet potato, bell pepper (not green), and onion first cook down. I added some Italian-style chicken sausage sliced into coins, but a touch of ground meat would work better. I seasoned it with a little salt, pepper, and Hungarian paprika.

Here it is plated up and before wrapping with a little smashed avocado and a dash of hot sauce.

$image.jpg

Note: I have allergies to where I can only eat rice-based shells, so my taco is more like a burrito. But you get the idea.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Reading this thread inspired me to make a second Taco. How can you read this thread and not want to make a taco? I don't know.

So here is my take on a breakfast taco.
Breakfast black pudding taco.

I'm smoking a brisket today so used the pit for cooking the black pudding. Hmmm Manuka smoked black pudding.

View attachment 606315

$20151010_123035.jpg

Kept it simple, bacon, black pudding, scrambled eggs, cracked pepper and salsa

$20151010_123818.jpg

Lots of breakfast tacos now. Mmm...

Tonight I decided to melt some cheese between two soft corn taco shells, then stuff the pair like a normal taco. Works a treat, but not photogenic.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looking good Chris. I have to tell you that I'm sorry. We put all kinds of tacos makings on the grill tonight out here at the TurkeyFest cookoff. I forgot to take pictures. Bad, bad...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Looking good Chris. I have to tell you that I'm sorry. We put all kinds of tacos makings on the grill tonight out here at the TurkeyFest cookoff. I forgot to take pictures. Bad, bad...

Thanks Aaron. Don't worry too much about the photo's this time.
It would be nice to see your entry photo's though. That's a Chili and a turkey fatty if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom