What's new

Possible Brush Group buy interest thread

@Rudy Vey mentioned this earlier in this thread. Badger brushes can be shipped to Canada. Whether other countries have different rules is anyone's guess.

Generally, island nations tend to have much stricter bio-security regulations than other countries. For example, bringing undeclared food items into Australia or Japan is not advised. Australia will fine heavily (and they will check your luggage) and Japan will issue a written warning for first offenses, then fine heavily the next time.

Edit for correction: I re-read Rudy's post, boar can go into Canada; badger probably not. Go figure.

Edit No.2: Seems a bit complicated to find definitive information. However, there is a system called he Automated Import Reference System (AIRS); a reference tool that shows the import requirements for Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulated commodities. This system allows to drill down from animal products to "Pigs', hogs' or boars' bristles and hair; badger hair and other brush making hair;" and provides the Documentation and Certification requirements if such products are to be exported to Canada.

Now, it gets interesting: if I understood correctly, there isn't an import ban on such animal products, but there are different requirements depending on the Origin of such animal products; in our case badger hair. If the origin is in the Continental United States, no additional certificates or documentation is required. However, if the products originate in China, a Zoosanitary Certificate of Export may need to be provided.

The following animal hair products;
- artist and cosmetic brushes
- wool that has been washed
- hair products which are obviously processed
may be imported without the above certification but may be subject to CFIA inspection.

It's probably prudent to see whether there has been any previous experience of shipping badger brushes from the United States to Canada. Since boar and badger seem to be in one category, it may be safe to say that the rules applying to boar brushes may also apply to badger brushes.

Last edited:
I know badger can't go from Us to Canada, can boar?

I have a Soc boar and its wonderfully soft. My Connault Jade I've had less success with/some prickle.

yes it can.

I'd be interested, but being in Canada I believe badger is off the table. A boar in 20-24 would be great though. Heck, I've read a lot about the RV brushes I'd be willing to try pretty much anything he recommends with a bit of scritch

We cant bring badger brushes into Canada?
Rudy already answered this question...

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Could be... I thought Rudy had a license to export though I could be wrong.
I do, but nobody would pay the associated fees....its not cheap, something like $120 or so...

Boar is fine. Badger hair is not doable for me, and the mixed knot is also not possible as it contains badger hair. I think other companies that have the Fish and Game license for import and export, like Paladin, also will send badger outside the USA. I am sticking with the laws and not risking a fine.

However, if you provide an US address it can be send to such an address. Several Canadians have also a US address if they live close to the border. Maybe if someone is volunteering to forward it to the final recipient, we can talk.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
@Rudy Vey mentioned this earlier in this thread. Badger brushes can be shipped to Canada. Whether other countries have different rules is anyone's guess.

Generally, island nations tend to have much stricter bio-security regulations than other countries. For example, bringing undeclared food items into Australia or Japan is not advised. Australia will fine heavily (and they will check your luggage) and Japan will issue a written warning for first offenses, then fine heavily the next time.

Edit for correction: I re-read Rudy's post, boar can go into Canada; badger probably not. Go figure.

Edit No.2: Seems a bit complicated to find definitive information. However, there is a system called he Automated Import Reference System (AIRS); a reference tool that shows the import requirements for Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) regulated commodities. This system allows to drill down from animal products to "Pigs', hogs' or boars' bristles and hair; badger hair and other brush making hair;" and provides the Documentation and Certification requirements if such products are to be exported to Canada.

Now, it gets interesting: if I understood correctly, there isn't an import ban on such animal products, but there are different requirements depending on the Origin of such animal products; in our case badger hair. If the origin is in the Continental United States, no additional certificates or documentation is required. However, if the products originate in China, a Zoosanitary Certificate of Export may need to be provided.

The following animal hair products;
- artist and cosmetic brushes
- wool that has been washed
- hair products which are obviously processed
may be imported without the above certification but may be subject to CFIA inspection.

It's probably prudent to see whether there has been any previous experience of shipping badger brushes from the United States to Canada. Since boar and badger seem to be in one category, it may be safe to say that the rules applying to boar brushes may also apply to badger brushes.

See Question about wolf whiskers not shipping handles with animal hair knots to Canada - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/question-about-wolf-whiskers-not-shipping-handles-with-animal-hair-knots-to-canada.549937/#post-9793288 and post 18 in the same thread.

Ordered

Goucho 1.jpg

Top Bottom