What's new

1pc vs 2 pc vs 3pc which do you prefer and why?

Sorry if this thread has been mentioned, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, my question is which design/type of Safety Razor do you prefer and why? This is about DE razors, not the SE razors.

I currently have in my possession, a Merkur 34c(2pc), FaTip Piccolo(3pc), Gillette Fat Handle Tech(3pc), I also have a cheapy weishi (1pc) tto that I barely use due to it having a bent safety bar. I'm getting a few Gillette TTOs soon, so I'm excited to try those.

I think I prefer the TTO style safety razors, why? To me they look the nicest out of the other types of razors, and most importantly they're the most convenient. Change blade easy, clean quicker etc. I love my other 2 and 3 pc razors, it's just in the end I prefer the tto.

How about you fellas?

I am the opposite. I do not much care for TTO razors. I like the looks of a three piece more, and also prefer the shape of the head when shaving. I have never had a two piece. Obviously, it's all a preference thing.

I am the opposite. I do not much care for TTO razors. I like the looks of a three piece more, and also prefer the shape of the head when shaving. I have never had a two piece. Obviously, it's all a preference thing.
My opinion is almost the same. I have used a fat boy and I didn't care for the feel of the head. I change blades every 3-5 shaves, but I feel the razor on my face with every stroke. Ultimately, the simpler the razor the less chance of mechanical failure and the fewer place to build up gunk. I've never used a 2-piece, but I like the ability to swap handles that 3-pieces offer. Now, I really like the look of TTOs. But I'm a shaver, not a collector (at this point.)

In the old days I learned on Gillette TTO (multiple models). To make a long story short, today I prefer 3-piece. IME better seating of the blade (with high-end models) plus the option to change handles to find one that perfectly fits my needs. Obviously, YMMV.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like 'em all, too. It's how they shave that gets the extra love.

I definitely prefer one piece razors especially vintages. It's easier to load a blade,holds the blade securely, get closer shaves with them and I love mechanism inside.

I spend the bulk of my time using a two-piece (merkur 34C I started with) but every time I use my 3 piece I wonder why I don't use it more. Probably bec the merkur was a gift from the wife... 😊

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don't think I had a preference, really. If you were to put a gun to my head, I guess I'd have to say the three-piece, just because of the ability to change handles.

Interesting to sit back and read everyones favorite type of razor. I do have to agree I like the fact that the 3 pc razors allow you to take them apart for a proper cleaning.

I like vintage Gillette tto's the best. Love the ease of blade changes and the way they look. The red tip is my favorite by far.

TTOs are quick and easy but hard to clean and locked into a handle.
2 Piece are the same, but a little less quick and easy. My favorite performer right now is a Progress.
3 Piece are least quick and easy to use but easiest to clean and you can change handles.

My rotation is 2 TTO 2 2-Piece and 3 3-Piece.

I have all of these styles.
The vintage 3 pieces and one pieces are nice because of blade alignment. Because of the doors on the TTO and the little facets on the top cap of the vintage 3 pieces (NEW,tech) it holds the blade so that there aren't any alignment issues.
But that being said, I don't mind positioning the moderns when need be.
I'm not much help, I live them all!!!

Top Bottom