What's new

Help Me Choose Which Vintage Gillette to Get! And TTO vs 3 Piece

It's the newbie again, but learning more every day. I now have a whole bunch of Gillette razors in my sites and my research tells me they are all good, so right now I'm a bit like a kid in a toy shop unable to decide! Saying that the razors I am currently considering are: -40s Tech Flat bottom.
-50s BallTech,
-Another Ball End Tech, but with what appears to be a flat bottom head on it. Is that possible that the head and handle are mismatched?
-50s Gillette Rocket (694093 Parat?)
-What I think is a 60s Super Speed flare tip, -60s or 70s Slim Twist (white handle)
-And a Fatboy.

Apart from the Fatboy, I'm pretty sure that all of the above are the "Made in England" models.

I'm sure that many of you are going to recommend the Fatboy, but I'm guessing that the bidding on that will go above my budget.

As for the others I guess my biggest dilemma is 3 piece razors vs TTO razors (and adjustable vs non-adjustable). I've read about the blades in the TTOs having "movement / chatter", and am curious if this is an issue or just a "feature" you get used to. And with adjustables, it seems people struggle finding the right adjustment?

Finally, since I'm sure other razors are going to come up for sale. Which Gillettes should I stay away from? So far my research tells me that late 60s and 70s Techs "aren't the best", and the Techmatic is a joke. Feel free to warn me away from any others.

Thank you for any guidance you can give this slightly overwhelmed individual!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Many like the 195 Adjustable (Fatboy) and many do not - I think it is a dull, clumsy sledgehammer - over rated and over priced, I think the Slim is far superior. Many like like Rockets or Aristocrats or whatever - I find them a little uninspiring; my favourite Gillette razor is the English Goodwill. But..... none of that matters - you could get 100% universal approval for a razor, then buy it, and then hate it. If you have no idea what you like then it makes sense, to me at least, to go for something relatively inexpensive, with medium aggression, that the majority of people like, and very few people actively dislike. One that has been around for decades and is still used and loved by many - my answer is the Tech. Try it and see what you like and do not like about it - then go from there. You may decide it is the only razor you will ever need, many millions of men made the same decision from the 1930s until today. Tech for the win - good luck 👍

Can't go wrong with a pre-war Tech.
I have two, one English made and one Canadian made. Both are very smooth and enjoyable razors.

I don't see any obvious problems with a functional TTO, but those things have more moving parts and as such are easier to suffer damage after years of abuse.
Not much that can go wrong with a Tech if it's visually sound.

I've not had any problems with the TTO razors I (have) own(ed), but the less complicated design will be at obvious advantage here.

If you mention the Fatboy will be out of budget, then look no further than a Tech.

I'm not expert on Flat Bottoms, but I notice there's a Tech with a flattish kind of bottom and a ball end on Mr. Razor's site:

Or...if the answer you're looking for should be in the spirit of B&B, then get them all!

Can't go wrong with a pre-war Tech.
I have two, one English made and one Canadian made. Both are very smooth and enjoyable razors.

I don't see any obvious problems with a functional TTO, but those things have more moving parts and as such are easier to suffer damage after years of abuse.
Not much that can go wrong with a Tech if it's visually sound.

I've not had any problems with the TTO razors I (have) own(ed), but the less complicated design will be at obvious advantage here.

If you mention the Fatboy will be out of budget, then look no further than a Tech.

I'm not expert on Flat Bottoms, but I notice there's a Tech with a flattish kind of bottom and a ball end on Mr. Razor's site:

Or...if the answer you're looking for should be in the spirit of B&B, then get them all!
@Shaun asleep. Thanks for the picture, that looks like the same one!

lasta

Blade Biter
You are definitely starting on the right foot, because you just listed some of my favourite razors! Bravo!

Techs and Rockets provided me with some of the most consistent, close and comfortable shaves ever. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Super Speeds are not far behind.

Many many members consider the Fat Boy to be the best razor every made, I haven't tried that one, but have had a Slim for some 20 years. I'd be perfectly fine if it was my only razor.

Not much help, but cheers!

PS: Get them all.

I agree. The bang for your buck option here ought to be the flat bottom. Not sure about the USA, but in the UK they typically go for around £25 ($30) for a nice clean one although I suspect that, as with everything else, they are cheaper in the states! I have seen very clean examples go as high as £40 ($49).

Late Techs are fine, although personally I think the prices that sellers ask for nowadays are a bit much. I just picked up a NOS 70's Tech from a seller who found 100s of them in an attic. It cost £12, which is pretty much the best deal around at the moment I think. The time was you could pick up a clean, ball-end or "Sportsman" Tech for £5. Nowadays most people seem to start their auctions at £10 - £15 for razors in questionable condition, or what are obvious franken-razors. With some Tech clones available for under £5 brand new, I rather hope the prices on vintage razors have peaked.

I agree. The bang for your buck option here ought to be the flat bottom. Not sure about the USA, but in the UK they typically go for around £25 ($30) for a nice clean one although I suspect that, as with everything else, they are cheaper in the states! I have seen very clean examples go as high as £40 ($49).

Late Techs are fine, although personally I think the prices that sellers ask for nowadays are a bit much. I just picked up a NOS 70's Tech from a seller who found 100s of them in an attic. It cost £12, which is pretty much the best deal around at the moment I think. The time was you could pick up a clean, ball-end or "Sportsman" Tech for £5. Nowadays most people seem to start their auctions at £10 - £15 for razors in questionable condition, or what are obvious franken-razors. With some Tech clones available for under £5 brand new, I rather hope the prices on vintage razors have peaked.
@Goblin I know those £12 razors from the attic you are talking about. He's still got tons of them.

@Goblin I know those £12 razors from the attic you are talking about. He's still got tons of them.

The photos of the stash are quite something. Well, he has at least one less now! :biggrin1:

They are very light, being aluminium, and mild with a lower gap than earlier Techs, but they are still capable of very nice shaves and certainly a good option for daily shaving if you have sensitive skin. Stick it on a modern handle if you want more weight, as many here do with Tech heads. I too am a fan of the flat bottom Tech - I have a couple - but there's no such thing as a BAD tech really!

Another Tech I really like is the English brass-handled ball-end Tech that weighs around 63 grams. I had one and sold it, which was a mistake. I should pick up another but I think people are starting to realise they are more desirable than the alu ball-ends so the prices are rising accordingly.

Why not get a little bit of everything without ruining the budget?

Such a list could look like this and should be pretty easy to acquire in a relatively short period of time. Especially if you aren't particularly interested in the cases.

1)Gillette Single Ring
2)Gillette New Improved
3)Gillette NEW Commen bar Short or Long comb
4)Gillette Tech
5)Gillette Super-Speed
6)Gillette Adjusatble Fatboy or Slim
7)Gillette Slim Twist

Why not get a little bit of everything without ruining the budget?

I reckon at typical UK prices that could still mount up to almost £350 ($430) of razors just for stuff that is decent user-grade without bent teeth, handle cracks, etc. There simply aren't the numbers of old razors around, especially the adjustables, which usually top out at well over £100 on the bay.

Unfortunately, the days of finding old Gillettes for £10 in the back of antique stores seem to be behind us - dealers know there is demand nowadays and price accordingly. Is it better in mainland Europe? I imagine there is at least more supply to go around and help keep prices lower?

I reckon at typical UK prices that could still mount up to almost £350 ($430) of razors just for stuff that is decent user-grade without bent teeth, handle cracks, etc. There simply aren't the numbers of old razors around, especially the adjustables, which usually top out at well over £100 on the bay.
I assume the topic starter lives in US, but maybe I misunderstood something?

I also meant that he could aim for finding those razors as fast as possible in order to be able to try a good variation of razors from Gillette.

Unfortunately, the days of finding old Gillettes for £10 in the back of antique stores seem to be behind us - dealers know there is demand nowadays and price accordingly. Is it better in mainland Europe? I imagine there is at least more supply to go around and help keep prices lower?

That seems to be the general situation yes, but not always.

I would still argue that people living in US,UK or France are still in a MUCH better position to go find razors compared to eg. me who lives in Denmark.

I don't bother going to antique markets because it's a waste of time. The chances of finding some slighly interesting razors are more or less zero, so I'm forced to go hunting online 🙂

The Rocket is an excellent razor (all vintage Gillettes are, actually; you can't go too far wrong). If you can find one, a decent condition Gillette Slim Adjustable is worth getting. The Fatboy gets all the attention, but the Slim is more elegant, gives a great shave (smoother than the Fatboy IMO), and tends to be cheaper because, well, everyone wants a Fatboy.

But any vintage Gillette is worth having, if it's in good condition - and always check pictures closely before buying. I've been very lucky with all my purchases online, but some are sold in very poor condition and photographed from cunning angles to hide bent safety guards, out-of-alignment doors, and so on.

everyone wants a Fatboy
Yeah no one wants a dime a dozen 195 adjustable, do they?

I think it is a dull, clumsy sledgehammer - over rated and over priced
Supply and demand? there are fourty million of the bleedin things out there +/- 2, supply. the demand was set 125 years ago someone screamed FLATBOY in a forest and someone heard him, then told his two mates and it snowballed from there into a global high dollah trading epidemic!

OP, just pick one, and learn to love it. :D

In my experience, the TTOs are better shavers. I have an English flaretip and the Super slim twist. They simply provide better shaves than my English aluminum tech and the 1970s Tech. I also have a no-date-code Superspeed coming.

Imo, a Tech is a Tech, no need to have 3 models of it, get the one that is not pricey but in good condition. I also don't see the need to shell out 50 bucks or more for a Fatboy.

Imo, a Tech is a Tech.

I agree to an extent, in that all Techs are good Techs, but there are differences between the various models that are substantial enough to be noticeable. An aluminium '70s spiral Tech is a measurably different animal from a pre-war fat handle Tech in terms of blade gap, weight, handle dimensions, materials, etc. Or do you not find the differences enough to worry about?

IMO adjustables add unnecessary complexity for a newbie and TTO razors can have issues with the doors. Any of the Techs would be a great place to start. Simple and effective design.

Top Bottom