What's new

I'm doing this wrong

I jumped into double edge razors pretty quick and now have four in my possession. Quickly realized that going back and forth comparing and contrasting the different razors (sometimes mid-shave) isn't very helpful. So I need to chill-out, slow down, and really figure out what I'm doing using just one razor and one blade. My blade will be Astra Superior Platinum and I'm looking for advice on the razor. I have a pre-war Gillette Tech, a Merkur 41c, a Gillette old type, and a Fatip Piccolo MkII. Given this selection, what would you choose as the one razor to give your double edge safety razor student......your protege.....your padawan.....as their tool to learn with and why? Please no suggestions of other razors, even though you may think there are better out there to learn with. This is what I have.

Attachments

• IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Given this selection, what would you choose as the one razor to give your double edge safety razor student......your protege.....your padawan.....as their tool to learn with and why?
In terms of aggressiveness progression your list is almost in the right order. So 41c, Tech, Piccolo, Old Type. All fantastic razors to learn your technique with.

My second razor was the Piccolo and only after that did I get the Tech. I love my Piccolo. It is a great razor and will provide you with close shaves. It is not as aggressive as some say, but your mileage may vary.

I would start with the Tech as it is a nice middle of the road razor although don’t be fooled - it can dial with some of the higher end razors in the market today. The Tech has some positive blade exposure to be aware of and also sideways blade overhang (in contrast to the Fatip). But it is so easy to use and can be very supportive in your first endeavour: no pressure!

Be aware though that there is more to it than only the razor you are using. Tech or Piccolo would be my first pick.

Enjoy!

Guido

Last edited:

Eben Stone

Staff member
just one razor and one blade
You're on the right track with this. Somewhere between 14 and 21 consecutive shaves with the same shave gear and you should have it down.

I have a pre-war Gillette Tech, a Merkur 41c, a Gillette old type, and a Fatip Piccolo MkII. Given this selection,
I haven't tried all those. I would just pick the one that has the most comfortable blade feel. If you cannot feel the blade at all, that's probably a big red flag to avoid using that razor, at least for now.

In terms of aggressiveness progression your list is almost in the right order. So 41c, Tech, Piccolo, Old Type. All fantastic razor to learn your technique with.

My second razor was the Piccolo and only after that did I get the Tech. I love my Piccolo. It is a great razor and will provide you with close shaves. It is not as aggressive as some say, but your mileage may vary.

I would start with the Tech as it is a nice middle of the road razor although don’t be fooled - it can dial with some of the higher end razors in the market today. The Tech has some positive blade exposure to be aware of and also sideways blade overhang (in contrast to the Fatip). But it is so easy to use and can be very supportive in your first endeavour: no pressure!

Be aware though that there is more to it than only the razor you are using. Tech or Piccolo would be my first pick.

Enjoy!

Guido
Appreciate the thoughtful response Guido! The other thing is I’ve been shaving every day or every other day cause I’ve wanted to use these razors. Normally I’d go much longer between shaving so I’ve got some hot spots going, mainly on my neck. Gotta slow down and dial things in. Thanks again. The Tech is a perennial all star and people do seem to be pretty loyal to their Piccolos as well.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I jumped into double edge razors pretty quick
You are at the entrance of the rabbit hole. There are no rabbits down there, just more razors. Forget reason and moderation, there is no end to RAD, only an eternity of collecting ever more razors and posting about them on Badger & Blade. :)

Do you feel ready to try some steel razors, do you want to keep the price low? Vintage or modern?

I usually recommend to pick one of the Razorock designs from Italian Barber or their Chinese clones as a good start into wet shaving or further exploring the hobby.

I need to chill-out, slow down, and really figure out what I'm doing using just one razor and one blade. My blade will be Astra Superior Platinum and I'm looking for advice on the razor.

An excellent decision!

I would say that if you are shaving daily or every other day, stick with the Tech for now.

If you are going more than 48hrs between shaves, you might find the Old Type or the Fatip make easier work of the longer hair, but being more aggressive, they are also easier to make a mess with whilst you are establishing your technique.

As has been said above, whatever you choose - comfort is more important than closeness at this stage. Focus on getting a comfortable shave and quit while you are ahead. The closeness will come with time.

This sums it up!

Tech is a good place to start.

I would add, that sticking to one razor is a good idea, but sticking to one blade may not be.

There is a huge difference between blades, and finding the best ones for you is a more important journey in my opinion. At least in the beginning.

I can get a good shave in “any” razor I own with any of my few favorite blades, but the opposite is also true.

My advice would be to stick with the Tech and order a good blade sample pack.

The Gillette Tech can easily be the only razor you ever need. It's about as good as any razor out there. Some will cost more be built out of more exotic materials and photograph better but your face won't care.

No need to go down any rabbit holes, unless you choose. You are likely chasing a shave closeness and comfort that you already have access to.

Stop rotating. Stick with one razor, one blade, one brush, one soap and you will see your shave comfort and technique improve quickly.

You guys are great! Thanks so much for the insight and tips. I guess I should’ve also asked what a good blade is for a beginner. I ended up with the Astra SP after that they were a pretty good middle of the road blade. Where can I get a sample pack? I imagine blade preference is even more individual that razor preference. Thanks again and please feel free to continue to chime in on this.

Sounds like the Tech is favored as a starter razor. I also have a post-war bottom plate for it, but I don't wanna start a pre vs post war Tech battle. This is probably a good route to go, using the Tech, because it will give me even more motivation to master good technique so I can better use these beautiful open combs that I have.

Sounds like the Tech is favored as a starter razor. I also have a post-war bottom plate for it, but I don't wanna start a pre vs post war Tech battle. This is probably a good route to go, using the Tech, because it will give me even more motivation to master good technique so I can better use these beautiful open combs that I have.
It's not only favored as a started razor but for those with years of experience as well.

There is a huge Gillette Tech following and fanbase.

I would say Tech or Piccolo. I wasn't happy with a Tech and Astra SP, I've long ago switched to a Slim or Fatboy to compensate for blade characters, but you said you wanted to stick with one razor. A blade sampler is a good idea, blades vary slightly in width and Tech and Piccolo's have fixed cap and projection. A wider that usual blade will irritate you skin and a narrower than normal one will pull.

You should get good smooth shaves with that combination. My advice is to be very aware of shaving angle and pressure on the razor. You should aim for a razor angle that give the least pulling sensation and use very light pressure -- best way to irritate your skin is to scrape at too high an angle while pushing the razor against your skin!

If you have not done so, "map" your beard. The hair grows out at all sorts of angles, and you want to avoid shaving against the "grain" if it causes you irritation. Me, I shave exclusively against the grain, but I don't recommend that for a beginner with a DE, likely to cause serious irritation.

You can simply skip shaving the irritated spots, tis the age of "scruffy" looks and no one will notice.

I said I wouldn't do this, but since I have both bottom plates that I can use......pre or post? I could be wrong but seems like pre-war has a bigger blade gap. Post supports the blade closer to the edge. Is it a toss up or is one better for a beginner?
IMG_4139.jpeg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Learn with the Tech.
I'd begin with the post-war.

I started out (over 50 years ago) with the Schick Krona and eventually got a hold of a Tech somewhere in the late 80's that I then used (exclusively) for years. It was a late Tech, made in England with the zamak top cap and aluminum handle -- still looks new. That worked well until I got a travel slant and joined B&B but that's a story for another day.

Get consistent technique using the Tech!

And stay away from that R41, that's my suggestion.

Top Bottom