What's new

Modified Arko Soap

A friend of mine suggested that I try Arko soap.

So I looked at a number of reviews and it sounded good so I ordered a couple of sticks from eBay.

I got them in the mail yesterday, opened one tube and started shaving small pieces off into a small shave bowl.

Fortunately, I had also been warned about the smell of the stuff.

Reminded me of the old Beverly Hillbillies show where Granny was whipping up a huge batch of lye soap in a big cast iron pot over a campfire in the back of the mansion.

Anyway, the shavings are now in the bowl ready to be compressed into a cake.

But before I do that, I raid spice cupboard, and get out some Mint and some Lemon Extract.

Sprinkle a fair amount of each over the shavings and follow up with about a couple of tablespoons of near boiling water. Take a spoon, stir it up a tad and compress into a cake and let it set overnight.

This morning, it is dried out and ready to go.

I bloom it with a Tsp of hot water while the brush is soaking and I am showering.

The stuff makes a really great lather and the added extracts are now contributing those scents to the soap smell an the mint is delivering a nice cool feel to the soap on my face.

Good Stuff!

If the Arko blows up, dibs on your Black Beauty! :lol:

Gonna give this a try with some essential oils.
Like the smell of Arko, but now I'm tempted to modify it...

If the Arko blows up, dibs on your Black Beauty! :lol:

Gonna give this a try with some essential oils.
Like the smell of Arko, but now I'm tempted to modify it...

And FYI, just for you the BB will come complete with a well used (and somewhat rusty) vintage blade:w00t:

Personally I love the smell of Arko, and really wish they'd make a cream version of it.

You probably already know there are several varieties of Arko cream, characteristically value-priced, sans the old-time-soap scent. The soap and cream products are similar in name only. I've gotten creative and mixed soap flakes with the cream, or used Arko Regular cream as a filler and lather enhancer with costlier creams such as AoS and TOBS.

You probably already know there are several varieties of Arko cream, characteristically value-priced, sans the old-time-soap scent. The soap and cream products are similar in name only. I've gotten creative and mixed soap flakes with the cream, or used Arko Regular cream as a filler and lather enhancer with costlier creams such as AoS and TOBS.
Tried a few, but not so much a favorite cream of mine. Waiting for the smiling guy red tube and that excellent Arko scent :thumbup1:

Well done. Glad the additions are working so well for you.

Personally I love the smell of Arko, and really wish they'd make a cream version of it.

All kidding aside, in a way, I do kind of like the scent. Really what smells cleaner than an old fashioned good old soap smell?

For me (like most of the members here I imagine) the morning shave has become a semi religious experience to be enjoyed (rather than endured) first thing in the AM.

And by adding the mint and citrus oils to the Arko soap, when made into a proper lather in addition to protecting my skin, when it comes in contact with my face, it demands immediat attention from my skin as well as my nose and tells my whiskers that their doom will be arriving near immediately!

Granted that immediately after the successful completion of my shave, all remaining soap has been washed off but the scent still remains for a bit in my "Nose Memory".

Im with you. I like Arko's scent. No its not my most favourite scent when compared to a few of my other soaps, BUT...i genuinely enjoy the scent. The performance is obviously always very good and solid.

Top Bottom