What's new

Just got my first Arko...what's all the fuss about?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yesterday and today were my first experiences with the Arko stick.

I don't get the urinal puck smell, at all. Not even a hint. Just a light citrus, and not long lasting.

The lather is good, but not a giant killer - at least not on my face/skin/beard. Doesn't seem to have a ton of residual slickness - kind of middle of the road.

Overall, a good, usable shaving soap. I plan on using it for a few more shaves and will post any changes in my impressions.

The Clubman Shave Soap is still, at least for now, the shave soap I pack in my dopp bag.

More to follow. :)

Urinal puck vs. Ivory scent reminds me of

proxy.php

I don't get the urinal puck smell, at all. Not even a hint. Just a light citrus, and not long lasting.

The lather is good, but not a giant killer - at least not on my face/skin/beard. Doesn't seem to have a ton of residual slickness - kind of middle of the road.

Overall, a good, usable shaving soap. I plan on using it for a few more shaves and will post any changes in my impressions.

The Clubman Shave Soap is still, at least for now, the shave soap I pack in my dopp bag.

That's the biggest gripe, missing residual slickness. It doesn't smell at all like Ivory soap, which I like to use time to time. It has a light citronella or lemon scent like old fashioned laundry detergent from our grandparent's time. Not bad, not great, just is. It can leave my face a little dry; not terribly so, but a bit. My skin is dry anyway and doesn't need any help in that regard. Overall, not bad, just not great.

Yeah, MWF is clean and powdery, with maybe a tiny bit of spice. Very clean and nice.

I am going to shave with Arko in the morning, just because. It is a good soap and smell clean, so I will enjoy it since I will be using a 1940's Gold Gillette Tech Fat handle instead of a straight razor.

The sticks are my go-to soap. Used to be Euro Palmolive, until that dried up, but Arko is a top performer, and the scent thing is just a bunch of guys being recalcitrant. It's meh, but it's not unpleasant.

If I was Scrooge McDuck, and could justify fancy bespoke soaps for everyday use I might have some that I would lean to, but for an everyday shave that gets it done with a top lather for a price soap aught to cost, Arko.
I prefer the 90g Arko puck used as a shave stick, it's brilliant. Even better is to smash 2-3 sticks into a 6oz Tub and load heavy with a wet brush :thumbup1:

Clubman soap is a sleeper indeed. The 2oz tub is perfect for travel.
That's the biggest gripe, missing residual slickness. It doesn't smell at all like Ivory soap, which I like to use time to time. It has a light citronella or lemon scent like old fashioned laundry detergent from our grandparent's time. Not bad, not great, just is. It can leave my face a little dry; not terribly so, but a bit. My skin is dry anyway and doesn't need any help in that regard. Overall, not bad, just not great.
I don't get the Ivory relation either. Initially, I had issues with dryness (Derby was worse). I don't notice it when paired with Stirling Citron splash. I've got no issues using this with a straight though I recognize it's detrimental residual slickness. This is a wonderful soap if I'm shaving back to back days. I won't reach for Arko if using a straight to remove say 3days worth for an evening out.

I shave with bath soap but I have used many shaving soaps in the past. Arko performs well, smells fine IMHO but leaves a greasy residue behind when I rinse it off. If I were to buy an inexpensive shave soap I would go with Williams (RIP)

I don't get all of the uproar, the intense feelings, or the hatred many seem to have for Arko. To me, it's a cheap soap that smells "lemony" fresh and lathers like crazy. Everybody's different, and that's fine, but for me, there's nothing not to like about Arko.

I don't get all of the uproar, the intense feelings, or the hatred many seem to have for Arko. To me, it's a cheap soap that smells "lemony" fresh and lathers like crazy. Everybody's different, and that's fine, but for me, there's nothing not to like about Arko.
Only if you stop peeing on your own Arko puck or sticks, you won’t have a problem. Now plug up your zipper.

proxy.php

Per the BBC:
"Turkey has hiked its main interest rate from 8.5% to 15%, reversing one of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's unorthodox economic policies."

Arko is probably going to become more expensive (for us) once the inflation is under more control.

Edit: I did up buying a case. The smell is supposedly largely neutralized by ingredients in the soap itself after about seven years, so I vacuum sealed them. Manufacture date of 8/21. Left one stick out to use. After using it, I am confident that the stock I have represents a lifetime supply.

Also, the scent strength of modern Arko is more subdued compared to the stick I sniffed and used in 2012, according to my memory.

I get a strong citronella vibe off it, my brother-in-law gets a strong old school ivory soap smell off it, as does my wife.

Last edited:
Arko to me smells like Christmas.

Well....at least one Christmas, when I made a huge mess on the kitchen floor and used too much lemon scented Mr Clean to clean up the mess!:biggrin1:

Top Bottom