What's new

Just got my first Arko...what's all the fuss about?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
We all have different noses. When I was purchasing vast quantities of cologne samples at the start of my collecting I happened upon Eucris - a very popular and well respected cologne. I don't know if it was my nose or the cologne's reaction to my metabolism, but on me it smelled like someone rolled around in rotten fruit, died there, and this scent was produced three days later. It made me sick to my stomach and after trying to wash it off with three different soaps, I actually considered taking a belt sander to my wrist.

And plenty of people like the scent. So we're not all the same. It makes life a little more interesting.

I love everything about it!
Waited way to long to ever buy it and all because of the "toilet puck scent" comments.
Been using it for like 6 months and it's become my #1.
Now I have a bunch of other soaps & creams that barely get used.
Money wasted and shaving enjoyment time lost!
Just received 2 more pucks today from Amazon!

You have 'The Veg,' aka Lilac Vegetal.

On some people it smells like gunpowder and courage. On other people it smells like the results of facing gunpowder and courage.

You have Arko.

To people it either smells like a stronger version of Ivory soap, or it smells like concentrated lemon pledge mixed with pure citronella.

I'd rather not smell like cat **** and lemon pledge. And the damnable thing about it, is I'm not sure if it's because I don't have a good sniffer, or if it's because I do have a good sniffer.

Arko smell similar to Faultless Lemon scented Spray Starch. it isn't exactly like that, but it reminds me of it. Not bad, could be better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not everyone, but there are a large number of people who perpetuate this "Arko smells like a urinal puck" thing who have never even been within 50 feet of an Arko stick.
If your a normal person with pretty normal skin and a normal sense of smell, Arko is a fantastic soap that does a fantastic job for a fraction of the cost of some "Artisan-smartisan" soaps.
It's a slight Citronella scent that just smells clean, not like a disinfectant, or a urinal puck or furniture wax.
I truly feel bad for folks who have skin that reacts poorly to it, or olfactory disorders who think it smells strong.
I can't imagine anyone who would buy a soap that is advertised to reek of "dirt and mildew" complaining about Arko, but it happens.

Not everyone, but there are a large number of people who perpetuate this "Arko smells like a urinal puck" thing who have never even been within 50 feet of an Arko stick.
If your a normal person with pretty normal skin and a normal sense of smell, Arko is a fantastic soap that does a fantastic job for a fraction of the cost of some "Artisan-smartisan" soaps.
It's a slight Citronella scent that just smells clean, not like a disinfectant, or a urinal puck or furniture wax.
I truly feel bad for folks who have skin that reacts poorly to it, or olfactory disorders who think it smells strong.
I can't imagine anyone who would buy a soap that is advertised to reek of "dirt and mildew" complaining about Arko, but it happens.
At least since they've largely switched over to those gel filled mats, the comparisons to urinal pucks have died down. Soon there might be a generation of people who won't know what lemon scented urinal pucks smelled like.

How does Arko work with a straight? My Tabac is no longer and bought a case of Arko to try, I think it smells like a urinal pick but the first few uses have came out too notch with safeties.

How does Arko work with a straight? My Tabac is no longer and bought a case of Arko to try, I think it smells like a urinal pick but the first few uses have came out too notch with safeties.
I can answer that for my face. Arko is okay, but not by any means top tier with a straight razor. It is not the worst, but not the best. I think Proraso super formula is better. La Toja stick or creams are definitely better. However, I keep a puck around for fun. It's not a soap I'd toss into file 13.

It has good cushion and the slickness is okay. Where it fails for me is the residual slickness. This just isn't as good as i want and when I touch up and area I am sure to re-lather or face the consequences.

Arko cemented it's place as one of my top favorites this morning. Slept terribly, woke up groggy and didn't load enough Arko for my head shave. The lather was loose and runny but still provided a crazy slick, comfortable shave. Then proceeded to load too heavy for my face shave and didn't add enough water. It was thick and pasty and still was plenty slick (just harder to rinse out of my razor) I love soaps with this kind of range, anyone can make whatever lather they like and it still works great.

For me, urinal puck was a considered conclusion, but it was also hyperbole. Not exact, but at least a second-cousin relationship to truth.

The most accurate description I can make of Arko scent, for my perceptions, is "dollar store citronella candle."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
For me, urinal puck was a considered conclusion, but it was also hyperbole. Not exact, but at least a second-cousin relationship to truth.

The most accurate description I can make of Arko scent, for my perceptions, is "dollar store citronella candle."
It absolutely has a citronella thing going. Some folks say it smells like Ivory Soap, and I don't get that sense at all.

Top Bottom