What's new

Just got my first Arko...what's all the fuss about?

Never tried the stuff. Never had any interest because so many here make such a big fuss about how repulsive the scent is and how it reminds them or urinal cakes.

Well, i took delivery of my first batch earlier today. Was expecting to turn my nose up at it, be repulsed, put it back in the box and burn it, then bury it. But when I opened the tub and took a whiff I said to myself, "that's it?" My reaction was reminiscent to when Ralphie waits and waits for that Little Orphan Annie Secret Society decoder ring so he can decode the secret message, only to be massively disappointed when the message ends up being "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!"

Honestly though, I actually don't mind how it smells. Heck, I like it! It's pleasant. To be honest, it reminds me of the original Ivory soap with possibly a little more "zing" to it.

I haven't had a chance to lather it up yet. heading out in the morning on a 4-day road trip, so I'll have 5 days of growth when I get back, and I'll be jumping feet first into some Arko!

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 11.56.55 PM.png

Never tried the stuff. Never had any interest because so many here make such a big fuss about how repulsive the scent is and how it reminds them or urinal cakes.

Well, i took delivery of my first batch earlier today. Was expecting to turn my nose up at it, be repulsed, put it back in the box and burn it, then bury it. But when I opened the tub and took a whiff I said to myself, "that's it?" My reaction was reminiscent to when Ralphie waits and waits for that Little Orphan Annie Secret Society decoder ring so he can decode the secret message, only to be massively disappointed when the message ends up being "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!"

Honestly though, I actually don't mind how it smells. Heck, I like it! It's pleasant. To be honest, it reminds me of the original Ivory soap with possibly a little more "zing" to it.

I haven't had a chance to lather it up yet. heading out in the morning on a 4-day road trip, so I'll have 5 days of growth when I get back, and I'll be jumping feet first into some Arko!

View attachment 1666406

It's kind of a running joke. It's an old classic that smells like an old classic...like Williams.

There’s nothing better.

This is where someone normally says something funny. I'll just say "ok, sure" and keep on using anything else. 🙂

It just kind of makes more expensive soaps seem unnecessary. I too was turned off by the reaction many folks have to the scent for many years, but I kind of like the way it smells, but it's the performance that really has me impressed. Even if you disregard the dirt cheap price, the creamy ultra slick lather cannot be denied!

Arko just isn't that good for a tallow soap. La Toja reformulation without tallow is far, far better. Arko is just sort of okay, not great, not terrible. With the price rising on Arko it might become less well liked as there are better performers in the price range.

...Was expecting to turn my nose up at it, be repulsed, put it back in the box and burn it, then bury it. But when I opened the tub and took a whiff I said to myself, "that's it?"...

It's a running joke here. Arko is like (Ivory * 1.5). It's a common scent for cleaning supplies in Turkey. You can take the wrapper off and let it air out for a few weeks and then the scent will not be very strong.

It just kind of makes more expensive soaps seem unnecessary. I too was turned off by the reaction many folks have to the scent for many years, but I kind of like the way it smells, but it's the performance that really has me impressed. Even if you disregard the dirt cheap price, the creamy ultra slick lather cannot be denied!
If it was $15 a stick it would be on back order. People would call it exotic and men would fight over it.

If it was $15 a stick it would be on back order. People would call it exotic and men would fight over it.

There is truth here.

I don't hate Arko, I just don't love Arko. There are just so many other soaps in my stash that get used while my poor Arko puck gets ignored.

To me, it's a mediocre soap with a mediocre scent, which should make it perfect for my mediocre existence, but somehow it leaves me wanting more.

Legion

Staff member
The sticks are my go-to soap. Used to be Euro Palmolive, until that dried up, but Arko is a top performer, and the scent thing is just a bunch of guys being recalcitrant. It's meh, but it's not unpleasant.

If I was Scrooge McDuck, and could justify fancy bespoke soaps for everyday use I might have some that I would lean to, but for an everyday shave that gets it done with a top lather for a price soap aught to cost, Arko.

Top Bottom