What's new

Should I be worried about this residue? (Humidor question with pic)

So I just got around tonight to starting the process of seasoning my new humidor.

When I opened it the bottom felt a little gritty, like there was some dust in there. So I got a paper towel and gently wiped the insides.

When I was done the paper towel had a bunch of stains on it.

$humidor wipe.jpg

The stains look sort of like the same shade as the finish on the outside of the humidor. Should I be worried about this or is this a common thing?

Thanks in advance guys.

A little more info would be helpful. If the hummidor is new, there shouldn't be any dust or any other residue at the bottom. Was the hummidor purchased at a B&M or online? Who makes the hummidor? Either way I would take it back, it's probably just dust or dirt, but I wouldn't trust my cigars living in it.

Sometimes sap will come up on cedar; might be possible that happened and it sat around long enough to dry and powder off. More likely is that it's residue from the manufacturing process and bad quality control.

Sometimes sap will come up on cedar; might be possible that happened and it sat around long enough to dry and powder off. More likely is that it's residue from the manufacturing process and bad quality control.

Thanks for the response.

Would you say it's anything to worry about now that I've cleaned it out?

Thanks for the response.

Would you say it's anything to worry about now that I've cleaned it out?

?? Maybe.
Myself I would spend the extra $$ on a quality humidor like Diamond Crown or Savoy. You can get some good deals on eBay if you're patient. I don't know anything about the particular humidor you bought.

You could always make a Tupperdor like I did :thumbup1:

Tupperdors are easy enough to maintain but since he already has the humidor I don't see a huge difference once he throws some Boveda's in there its basically the same thing.

Honestly if I we're to take all my cigars out of my humidor and wipe it down I wouldn't be surprised or worried if I saw this.

Sorry for the necro'd thread, but I thought I'd give an update on my humidor. I spent two weeks seasoning it with 85% Boveda packs. I calibrated my hygrometer with a 75% Boveda pack (with the hygrometer reading a perfect 75% for three straight days) and now I have it installed and have the Humi-Care Black Ice wedges tucked in the corners and filled. I filled them with Brigham humidor solution (before reading that you should only use distilled water on crystal gel, *sigh*) and now the humidor seems to be holding humidity at just below 70. I haven't had any more problems with the stains.

I'll be buying a box of cigars for the first time in my life this weekend (most likely Camacho Triple Maduros) and putting them in there. Fingers crossed that it'll be all good.

Best of luck, glad it seems to be working alright for now though

Thank you sir.

I have some cigars in there now and the humidity is still holding.

Quick question, how do you know if your humidor is seasoned properly? All I did was leave three Boveda 85% seasoning packs in for two weeks without opening like the instructions said. But when I did open it up for the first time I couldn't see any discernible difference.

Is the fact that it's holding humidity a good sign that it's been seasoned properly?

Thank you sir.

I have some cigars in there now and the humidity is still holding.

Quick question, how do you know if your humidor is seasoned properly? All I did was leave three Boveda 85% seasoning packs in for two weeks without opening like the instructions said. But when I did open it up for the first time I couldn't see any discernible difference.

Is the fact that it's holding humidity a good sign that it's been seasoned properly?

Yup :thumbup1:

Top Bottom