What's new

School me on brushes... here's what I have so far, what should I get from here?

When I started DE shaving years ago and then went on hiatus, I got this van der hagen boar brush with the little apothecary mug and a soap, and this Ever-Ready brush had been in a cabinet at the house with a scuttle for ages. The VDH brush was okay back then, but nothing to write home about and even then had a problem with shedding. The Ever-Ready 1CS I only used maybe once or twice as the hairs were quite stiff and didn't have much give in them at all... I assume this brush has seen much better days and may need to be retired, but maybe I'm wrong (Can it be remade? Is that worth it for an old brush handle like this?). My uncle later got me one of the Art of Shaving gift sets that came with this little badger brush, this was a little softer and more comfortable than the VDH was initially, but I wasn't really blown away by its feel or lathering ability and always wondered if there was a "better" badger-or-other brush out there that would wow me and hold up better.

Note- When cleaning off all three of these brushes tonight, they were shedding like CRAZY, the Ever-Ready less so than the others. Is it normal for a brush to shed a bunch when it isn't used frequently? Should I get a stand and hang them upside down to dry instead of right side up?

As far as what I'm interested in, I'm open to wood, synthetic, metal, or whatever handle materials are out there (I tend to prefer darker/deeper wood varietes, purples, and darker metals, but I don't mind the ivory/horn look either!), and I guess I'd like to keep it under $200-250 unless there's something out there that REALLY blows the competition away. Are any synthetic hairs worth looking into over best/silvertip badger?

I'd also like to get a separate travel brush to keep in my dopp kit, unless it's not going to harm a regular brush to ride along with some other toiletries :biggrin1:

photo_2023-05-01_02-26-38.jpg

a 24mm Synth (Yaqi, Simpsons, PAA) the choices are endless and affordable
Mühle 21mm Travel Brush in Synthetic Silvertip fibre
An Omega boar, again lots of choices and very affordable
Semogue SOC Mistura badger/boar mix comes either in wood or resin
Badger we can discuss later on

Use the brush once and let it dry completely in the open - don’t put it in a cabinet or such up/down is not really relevant. Use another brush for your next shave. Synths will dry in a couple of hours, badger or boar might take a day and a bit.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I
Synthetic bristle is the way to go. Superior to badger in every way.
I wouldn’t choose to be that dogmatic. I prefer my SV and Zenith Manchurian badger brushes to the very fine synthetic brushes I have. I would also choose my 4 Zenith boar brushes over the synths.

That said, I only have a pair of twin ESC Ultimate 26mm G4 Brushes with me on this 7 week trip. They are wonderful brushes. My wife claimed my Rudy Vey 25mm STF and my Alpha Shaving G5”D” FB group buy brushes. My Omega Evo Original is headed to a friend when we get back home.

I said all that to say: we all have likes and dislikes. We can state them as preferences, but not absolutes. All generalities are false, including this one.

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Synthetic bristle is the way to go. Superior to badger in every way.
I have a decent collection of synthetic brushes, including an EVO and a Muhle STF. They are absolutely not superior to badgers in every way. (Now we both forgot the "to me")

There are so many brushes out there, and somebody likes everyone of them, and nobody likes all of them.

I like a bigger brush for scuttle use. SOC boar is a great choice for around $30. I have a Kent BK8 which is a sizable silvertip badger with the softest tips imaginable, but it's no longer in production.

For face lathering I like a slightly smaller brush. The SOC badger 2 band is a great choice for around $70. Plenty of backbone and very soft tips. The EVO and STF are also good choices for face lathering or bowls.

No, brushes don't shed if not used - unless you left soap in the knot.

If you want really useful suggestions you probably want to consider offering your preferences on a few things to narrow the hundreds of choices:

Size
Backbone
Tips (soft or with some scrub)
You've covered handles and price, but for the sake of efficiency I'd reiterate them to have all the information in one post.

Great suggestions above. As for the vintage Ever Ready, yes it is relatively easy to restore and totally worth it, especially if the brush has sentimental value. Remove the old knot, clear out the bore with a Dremel, and set a new knot of your choice. The handle cleans and polishes up nicely.

Wish I purchased a synthetic brush earlier on, my natural hair brushes have been gathering dust ever since buying my first yaqi for a couple of euros.. If you're willing to try a synthetic brush, I'd recommend a Yaqi (24-26mm) tuxedo style knot or a 25mm STF if you're willing to spend a bit more.

Shaving would be too boring with just one brush, especially a lame one like VDH. It wasn't even good enough for cleaning gunk off my lawnmower. If you can't afford a high-end badger like a Rudy Shavemac, or 2-band Thater, or 3-band Simpson, go for a decent synthetic like a RazoRock Plissoft. When I'm near the end of a favorite soap, I go with my 24mm RR chrome synth. I thought the old heavy chrome handle was unbalanced and discontinued, but they may have brought it back. The 24 RR Plissoft knot gets a good lather without destroying the soap.
(Chrome) RazoRock Chrome Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush – ItalianBarber - https://www.italianbarber.com/products/chrome-razorock-chrome-silvertip-plissoft-synthetic-shaving-brush

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Depends on what a person wants for face feel to choose the ideal brush.

For badger brushes I really enjoy the 2band (factory general specs for loft height)24mm badger for general shaving needs in a brush and for a softer face feel a 3band High density (HD) 24mm silvertip is a nice brush for a great scrub and excellent lather painting IMO.
For synthetic brushes a 24mm (factory general specs for loft height)knot is very good place to start and if you want a luxury face feel go to 26mm (they are not lather hogs I have found).
For boar brushes I use are 22-24mm(factory general specs for loft height) knot size brushes and they work great & when fully broke in they will compete with any brush and prices can be very reasonable also for brand names.(boar brushes should be soaked for 2 minutes minimum in warm water before starting to generating lather as a rule of thumb if newbies do not know).
You do not have to spend large amount of money to get premium brushes, unless you want a premium tailor customized brush by some great brush makers on B&B forum (Rudy Vey comes to mind)

Synthetics have not won me over and I've been trying to like them for years. If you have to have a wood handle get a Saponificio Varesino brush. What I'd really recommend, with your budget being up to $250, is an M&F 2xl in Finest before Brad Sears stops taking orders for them. Other than that, get on the BST. You will get some great brushes at sweet discounts. The guys here tend to take great care of their brushes and many of us have such large rotations that the brushes don't all get a lot of use.

Brushes use to be simple when my cousin the pharmacist had two pharmacy in Sherman Oaks, CA late 50’s early 60’s.

The pharmacies sold a little big of everything & better then today Chains today.

I know as I work both stores stocking shelves on Saturday.

Think if I recall we sold two or three Shave Brushes, inexpensive to expensive at $2.00.

Not sure they were Boar, Bagger, or? Shaving brushes is what they sold, few options.

Today market is couple of bucks off eBay, to hundreds of dollars. Many offerings.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have this:

and its black handled twin, the BKB4. They are no longer being made as Kent had shifted to synthetic only. However, they can still be found.

I have had a fair number of badger brushes over the last almost sixty years, including Simpsons. These are my favorites.

A Semogue Boar 1305 or similar (under $30)

A Simpson Duke 3 in Best ($100)

A 24mm quality Synthetic, pick one ($30-40)

That will give you a good sampling and variety and allow you to expand, if you want.

You really only need 1 brush, despite the forum mentality of buy everything. Maybe a 2nd if you want a backup or dedicated travel bag brush.

If it was me, I'd go with a synthetic and be done. Save your money. I fully believe they are the future of brushes and eventually, natural brushes will be seen the way fur coats are.

a 24mm Synth (Yaqi, Simpsons, PAA) the choices are endless and affordable
Mühle 21mm Travel Brush in Synthetic Silvertip fibre
An Omega boar, again lots of choices and very affordable
Semogue SOC Mistura badger/boar mix comes either in wood or resin
Badger we can discuss later on

Use the brush once and let it dry completely in the open - don’t put it in a cabinet or such up/down is not really relevant. Use another brush for your next shave. Synths will dry in a couple of hours, badger or boar might take a day and a bit.

I strongly concur with @Multum in parvo's recommendations.

Something to muse on is the shape and size you'd prefer. Some shapes of brush knots lend themselves to particular lathering techniques:
  • Do you bowl lather and paint? A 24mm or 26mm bulb might fit in well with that
  • Do you load from a jar and face lather? A larger 26mm or even 28mm fan shape could be just the ticket.
  • Are you rocking a beard or goatee? 24mm or even 22mm might give you more precision than a humongous 30mm monster that lathers your whole face in one stroke.
The 24mm Semogue SOC Mistura is a fantastic brush. It's a little small for me as a beardless guy with a planet-sized head - if it was 26mm it would be perfect. It's a great, safe premium brush choice that has great backbone, gentle scrub and wonderful flowthrough. And one of the most comfortable handle shapes around!

The Muhle STFs are great and easily my favorite synthetic. You've got luxuriously soft tips combined with the backbone of a manchurian badger.

I'd also go with an Omega boar - get a few! They are cheap and fun to explore, but take a while to break in.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I strongly concur with @Multum in parvo's recommendations.

Something to muse on is the shape and size you'd prefer. Some shapes of brush knots lend themselves to particular lathering techniques:
  • Do you bowl lather and paint? A 24mm or 26mm bulb might fit in well with that
  • Do you load from a jar and face lather? A larger 26mm or even 28mm fan shape could be just the ticket.
  • Are you rocking a beard or goatee? 24mm or even 22mm might give you more precision than a humongous 30mm monster that lathers your whole face in one stroke.
The 24mm Semogue SOC Mistura is a fantastic brush. It's a little small for me as a beardless guy with a planet-sized head - if it was 26mm it would be perfect. It's a great, safe premium brush choice that has great backbone, gentle scrub and wonderful flowthrough. And one of the most comfortable handle shapes around!

The Muhle STFs are great and easily my favorite synthetic. You've got luxuriously soft tips combined with the backbone of a manchurian badger.

I'd also go with an Omega boar - get a few! They are cheap and fun to explore, but take a while to break in.
I would love a 26 or 28mm SOC Mistura.

Wow, thank you all for your suggestions and information so far!

Looking like a brush in the range of 24-27mm is probably a good size for me to start with that can do a little bit of everything (I'm not hard set on soap vs cream, bowl vs face, etc yet. I want to practice it all and see what my preferences are once I've gotten some experience!), but reading this has raised some more questions...

Is there a way to differentiate between synthetics? The description of that Muhle STF knot sounds about perfect to me (soft, non-scratchy tips, but enough backbone to still provide plenty of stiffness for scrubbing as well) while I see there are two different synthetics from Simpson (platinum vs Sovereign) and Yaqi seems to be all one. Have any of you tried these brushes, or is there a "showdown" thread that compares exactly that?

I'm still looking at badger brushes too (I'm SURE I will get one or more of each eventually, however I don't want to overwhelm myself from the start), but correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that a synthetic would be a better starting point as a "If I could only have one brush to do everything comfortably and effectively" option!

What exactly was it about the synthetics that convinced some of you it was superior?

Top Bottom