What's new

Should I be interested in brushes this much?

For background, I've used boar and badger brushes, but prefer synthetics. However, the last time I used a brush was awhile ago, a vintage one I restored myself with a Plissoft-style knot. I liked the brush, but over time found myself using it less and less. It seemed to just be something in between my hands and the soap or cream, and without thinking about it, stopped using it. For years it sat in the back of my drawer unused, before I gave it away.

I never really missed it until a month or so ago, when I started wishing I had it again, or at least, having a brush again. I've found myself really focused on brushes.

The thing is, I'm not sure why I've been so interested in brushes lately, because I didn't really use the last brush I had very much. I'm having trouble figuring out why I'd get another one when the last one I had I didn't really use.

The one thing I found a brush useful for was lathering out of a tub, and lately I've been faced with the possibility of that again because my favorite cream has become scarce. So maybe I see a brush as a kind of insurance? Maybe just because they're functional works of art? The latest generation of synthetic knots too seem like a genuine improvement to me, so maybe I just want to try a newer generation knot?

I don't expect anyone to read my mind; I'm just thinking out loud, and maybe a bit wondering if there's something about using a brush that I'm wanting but not really consciously recognizing.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Huh. I can't imagine shaving without a brush. For me face lathering is probably the most enjoyable aspect of my shave. So my two pennies say yes you should be interested in shaving brushes. Particularly when you can pick up a great synthetic or boar for not much $$$.

I just use my hands to lather on my face.
Do you get a satisfactory lather with your hands? If so I would not worry about a brush. Now you mentioned that you are miss the brush. Well pick it up again and if you do not care for bowl lathering try face lathering. That is what I prefer. It gives your face a good scrub as well.

Do you get a satisfactory lather with your hands? If so I would not worry about a brush. Now you mentioned that you are miss the brush. Well pick it up again and if you do not care for bowl lathering try face lathering. That is what I prefer. It gives your face a good scrub as well.

Usually yes, I'm happy with the lather from my hands.

I do remember gradually gravitating toward face lathering.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a bigger knot? I've never really tried anything bigger than 23mm or so, although that admittedly gets complicated (I think I've used 20mm badgers that bloomed to be bigger than 23mm synthetics for example).

Usually yes, I'm happy with the lather from my hands.

I do remember gradually gravitating toward face lathering.

Sometimes I wonder if I'd like a bigger knot? I've never really tried anything bigger than 23mm or so, although that admittedly gets complicated (I think I've used 20mm badgers that bloomed to be bigger than 23mm synthetics for example).
Personally I use a RazoRock Hive 24 mm synthetic and I pretty much exclusively face lather. Either I use a stick like Arko or puck/bowl load and then face lather. For me this generates the best lather. I just add a bit water to the brush if I need more for the lather I like. For face lathering I do prefer a bit larger brush so that the brush holds enough lather for pass 2 and 3. I have smaller boar and synthetic mainly for travelling and while they work it is not my go to on a normal basis.

I would use what you have and see if you missing brushes gets kindled any further when you start using them. Then if it does I would look into some new brush(s) if need be. I think that is what I would do.

The Plissoft synth is one of my favorite synthetic knots out there. The Razorock Monster is a good, big brush for that sort of thing, but I do understand that one can get really good lathers with just face and hands. I've done it many times, it just gets a bit messier.

I'm just thinking out loud, and maybe a bit wondering if there's something about using a brush that I'm wanting but not really consciously recognizing.

Rubbing a brush on your face feels good. And whilst some folks will prefer synthetics for animalista reasons, it probably has to be admitted that natural hair brushes have the edge here in terms of tactile pleasure.

Gentle exfoliation. Stimulates the circulation. Helps to "lift" the hair. What's not to like?

So, even if you can make good lather without a brush, there are other advantages. To me, it's the best part of the shave!

Don't deprive yourself. Good brushes are cheap.

Brushes were a rabbit-hole for me, especially after switching to face lathering. I've owned at least 25, mostly 16-26mm badgers in 2 and 3-band. I still have about 9, but mostly use 4 badgers and a synth, a 24mm Plissoft. I often think that if synth's were as good as the Plissoft when I started, I might not have fallen so far down that rabbit-hole. The synth is especially good at lathering older, discontinued soaps without wasting soap.

I use hard soap and load the brush from the container and face lather. When I dabbled with creams, I used a brush or my fingers, and even though I liked the brush, I could see where, with cream, you could get away without one. However, I love the hard soaps I use, and my brush(es) are an integral part of my shave that I enjoy very much. If you go down the soap and brush rabbit hole, prepare to end up with more than one!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I first stumbled on B&B, I had one brush and wanted to learn what was available. I ended up with 23 brushes in short order. I thinned the herd down to 7 badgers and 4 boars and have been content with that, so far.

I'll be celebrating my second anniversary on wet shaving on Feb. 18th... and my second year here on March 1st. The time has flown by. It sure have been fun, learning about razors, brushes, pre-shaves and soaps these past months. I do seem to be settling into a groove at the moment. The various acquisition disorders have abated and it looks like 2024 will be a calm year when it comes to cash outlay.

It's a nice feeling but with a caveat: I really enjoyed the research, purchase and tracking of the packages on the way to our place. I'm sure I'll have a slight sense of loss, but the great shaves I'm getting were the goal... and that part of the journey..... getting to the place where every shave is a pleasure... has been extremely enjoyable. I look forward to the next decade or so of wet shaving with hope... Hope my health continues to be excellent so I can continue to participate in our discussions here.

When I first stumbled on B&B, I had one brush and wanted to learn what was available. I ended up with 23 brushes in short order. I thinned the herd down to 7 badgers and 4 boars and have been content with that, so far.

I'll be celebrating my second anniversary on wet shaving on Feb. 18th... and my second year here on March 1st. The time has flown by. It sure have been fun, learning about razors, brushes, pre-shaves and soaps these past months. I do seem to be settling into a groove at the moment. The various acquisition disorders have abated and it looks like 2024 will be a calm year when it comes to cash outlay.

It's a nice feeling but with a caveat: I really enjoyed the research, purchase and tracking of the packages on the way to our place. I'm sure I'll have a slight sense of loss, but the great shaves I'm getting were the goal... and that part of the journey..... getting to the place where every shave is a pleasure... has been extremely enjoyable. I look forward to the next decade or so of wet shaving with hope... Hope my health continues to be excellent so I can continue to participate in our discussions here.

I've been DE shaving for maybe 13-14 years or so now, and for most of that time have used the same things, but every so often I go exploring a new area here or there in ways I hadn't before. For a long time I was mostly using Personnas blades, for example, and then decided to try new ones; every so often I try new soaps, creams, or gels; least often I might try a new razor. I think often there's a certain tension between exploration and acquisition, in that the former is often the motivation but it requires the latter, and sometimes the latter is needed anyway and sometimes it's not.

I've sort of come to some peace with the idea there's probably always *something* about shaving I might want to try differently, and if I don't then I'll be happy with that too. At least for me I'm not sure a central concern is finding something to settle on permanently as much as it is finding a balance between trying new things and enjoying what I have.

I've been DE shaving for maybe 13-14 years or so now, and for most of that time have used the same things, but every so often I go exploring a new area here or there in ways I hadn't before. For a long time I was mostly using Personnas blades, for example, and then decided to try new ones; every so often I try new soaps, creams, or gels; least often I might try a new razor. I think often there's a certain tension between exploration and acquisition, in that the former is often the motivation but it requires the latter, and sometimes the latter is needed anyway and sometimes it's not.

I've sort of come to some peace with the idea there's probably always *something* about shaving I might want to try differently, and if I don't then I'll be happy with that too. At least for me I'm not sure a central concern is finding something to settle on permanently as much as it is finding a balance between trying new things and enjoying what I have.
I have been wet shaving for about the same time as you, and totally relate to your comments. At first, I picked up what I needed to get started, and my choices were pretty good out of the gate, so I didn't feel compelled to add to my kit. Then, I was curious about what was up in the wet shave world after not paying attention for several years, and the research led to some purchases. Now it seems when I visit Badger and Blade I end up buying something based on what I learn! There have been some iterative improvements along the way, but I can't say my shave has been exponentially better. I do enjoy some of the new soaps, aftershave, brushes, and razors I've purchased. Like most hobbies, the research and trying new things is part of the fun. If I were on a strict budget, I could easily pick a couple of key items and call it a day. But being able to try stuff for myself is a lot of fun. Considering the cost of cartridge razors these days, and the infrequency of my wet shave purchases, I am still at break-even or even ahead financially.

Making a better lather with a brush is fine and everything, but that isn’t really why I ended up with a lot of shaving brushes. It’s because of how interesting the knots look, the handle feel, the way the hair tips feel on my face - especially when lathering for my second and third pass when my skin is smooth. I don’t undervalue the importance of good functionality, but it’s the way they look and feel that creates my passion for shaving brushes.

I enjoy all kinds of shaving brush but in the end what I like the most, and use most often, are soft, fine-haired 3-band silvertip badgers that aren’t too dense. They feel nicest on my face and are the most effortless to use. I think brushes like this make better lather too.

Last edited:
I never really missed it until a month or so ago, when I started wishing I had it again
That feeling alone can just keep eating at you until you get another. Get yourself a new one that you think you will like and won't mind holding onto. I would say do not spend more than you are willing to store in a drawer if you decide it was just the urge and not really for you again, just don't give it away in case the urge comes back again. Who knows you may love it and end up with a whole collection.

To Brush or Not To Brush....that is the question?

I love the process and purpose of the brush.
I pick my brush to go with the soap.
Tallow based, I select one of my boars.
Vegan based, one of many synths.

So In a nutshell...do what you enjoy and works for you.
Hands, Feet, Paint Brush....whatever, I just your call and your shave time. Make it fun and enjoy it..

BFX

Top Bottom