What's new

Something I learned today

I received my 2nd brush from Rudy Vey today, a 26mm Shavemac 3-band (not D01, might be following up with one of these later) with a Ukrainian bog oak handle! My first brush from him was a Muhle STF in a real-faux ivory that I love and use regularly. Before I got that brush, I only had cheap VDH and AoS "pure badger" brushes that splay nicely, but other than that they're scritchy to me.

I consider this my first "real" quality badger hair brush, and after using it today I'd say that's a fair assessment! It is NOTHING like the pure badgers I had before. I was worried it might be a little stiff and scritchy after feeling it dry, but after letting it soak a bit and working up my first lather I am pleased to say that it's already soft and enjoyable, and I'm sure that it will only get better once I actually get the brush broken in and exercised properly!

One thing I noticed though was that compared to my STF brush it took a LOT more soap, water, and effort to get any lather at all, and more still to get a usable amount. I think this has answered my question as to why the little shave soap samples I got from chiseled face have lasted me MONTHS on end with the STF brush. But, I also noticed that my shave was very low on irritation this time too, so could I be getting a lather with my STF brush that "looks" better and more voluminous, but in reality needs to be made with more soap to have the needed lubricity?

Attachments

• photo_2024-04-12_01-00-24.jpg
    photo_2024-04-12_01-00-24.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Congratulations on your new brush. I certainly find it easier to get a great lather with very little soap when using my only synthetic brush, as a result I tend to reserve it for use with rare soaps which would be hard to replace. That said, give me a badger brush any other time 👍

Congratulations on your new brush. I certainly find it easier to get a great lather with very little soap when using my only synthetic brush, as a result I tend to reserve it for use with rare soaps which would be hard to replace. That said, give me a badger brush any other time 👍
Likewise! I was amazed at how little soap it took me to make a lather with this brush when I first got it, coming from the pure badgers. I just worry that the lather I'm making with it "Looks" better, but in reality is too thin and needs a lot more soap to function well and I haven't been able to develop that feel. Badger seems better in this regard, as I'm not seeing lather at all unless I use more soap, and then what I do see has performed nicely!

Top Bottom