What's new

Russian Blade Games

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Can't understand what all this talk is about. The microscopic views show clear difference between the blades. Period. Can't argue with that.

That you read about a post referencing EM scans of a few unknown blades demonstrating that they were different blades isn't evidence that there is no rebranding at Gillette's St Petersburg plant. I don't have any inside knowledge, I'm just saying that rebranding is plausible. Also, based upon the various comparative reviews on this website, I think rebranding is even likely. I'm not trying to start a war, I'm just interested in other's opinions.

There actually have been very detailed posts with microscopic scans,however,you are correct,some blades are rebranded for different buyers,such as this Sharp Star,which I am sure is a Rapira...http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/421124-Rise-amp-Sharp-Star-blades

There actually have been very detailed posts with microscopic scans,however,you are correct,some blades are rebranded for different buyers,such as this Sharp Star,which I am sure is a Rapira...http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/421124-Rise-amp-Sharp-Star-blades

Makes sense. It's a big world global economy. I imagine that the marketing gurus figure that different color schemes, different lettering, different names, sell better in one area of the world than they do in another. The famous story about GM finally figuring out why the Nova didn't sell well in Spanish speaking countries comes to mind.

The blades are made in the same plant, and packaged by the same people, but the blades and their sharpness levels are all slightly different. Not to mention the coatings differences. Platinum blades and un coated blades shave completely differently for most people. I am one of the lucky ones who can get a good shave from just about any blade, but even I can tell the difference between a coated and un coated blade. Not to mention the difference between Teflon and Platinum coatings and their on face feeling.

So I call this one BUSTED! There is a difference between these blades and their on face feeling and sharpness.

Have you tried all the blades coming out of the St. Pete plant to verify that no two of them feel the same to you? For instance, PermaSharp Supers are made for and sold in Turkey. They used to be made by someone other than Gillette out of their St. Pete plant and were a very popular blade in Turkey. Then Gillette started making them in St. Pete. Maybe they brought over the machines they used to be made on, or have blank stock that is unique to what used to be used for the Turkish blades ... or, maybe they took one of the very many blades they already made in St. Pete, stuffed them into PermaSharp Super boxes and sent them to the Turkish market. I think we would need someone inside the St. Pete plant to tell us for sure.

OK... Here's what we can all assume to be inside information. A list of all Gillette blades. You asked for it; B&B forum history provides it.

1. Gillette Nacet (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  2. Gillette Super Stainless (PPI)
  3. Gillette Platinum (PPI)
  4. Gillette 7 O’Clock Diamond (India *** blister pack /w handle only)
  5. Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Stainless (PPI Green Packaging)
  6. Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (PPI Yellow Packaging)
  7. Gillette Silver Blue (PPI)
  8. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (PPI Blue packaging) (OOP)
  9. Gillette 7 O’Clock Super Platinum (India Black Packaging)
  10. Gillette Minora (PPI)
  11. Gillette Bleue Extra (PPI) (LP)
  12. Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India NFE) (Wiltech)
  13. Astra Super Stainless (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  14. Astra Superior Platinum (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  15. Astra Keramik (FMR Prago Union DIU) (OOP)
  16. Polsilver (FMR Wizamet) (OOP)
  17. Polsilver Super Iridium (FMR Wizamet)
  18. Gillette Goal (Manaus, Brasil) (Mexico City)
  19. Gillette Super Thin (Thailand Vietnam Shanghai JV)
  20. Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless (India green packaging)
  21. Gillette 365 (Manaus, Brasil) (Mexico City)
  22. Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (PPI)
  23. Gillette Super Blue (Shanghai JV)
  24. Permasharp Super Stainless (FMR Permatik Celik Sanayi)
  25. Sputnik (FMR FCP via Leninets)
  26. Tiger (FMR Prago Union DIU)(OOP)
  27. Rotbart Extra Dünn (FMR Prago Union DIU)
  28. Gillette Super Silver (FMR Prago Union DIU)(OOP)
  29. Gillette Azul Aço Inox (Manaus, Brasil) (OOP)

And an example of first-hand knowledge from the same expert, that different models are not the same blade in different wrappers (coincidentally the exact same two as mentioned hypothetically just up-thread).

PPI does not manufacture private-label blades, nor store-branded. Nacet and Silver Blue are not manufactured to the same specifications.

And to discount the notion that variations between blades are due to shoddy overseas equipment and manufacturing/QC processes...

Be advised that all PG/Gillette manufacturing facilities are held to the same high QC specifications worldwide, manufactured with identically-equipped lines using the same proprietary technology, regardless of geographical location.

I believe there are 9 different branded blades manufactured at the Gillette plant on St. Petersburg. Does anyone really believe that each of these are separately spec'd blades? Financially, that would make no sense. When people argue over which is better, GSB, Perma-sharp, or Nacet, I have to think that they are the same blade rebranded for different markets.

Just a SWAG, but I'll give Gillette maybe 3 different blades from that factory, the rest are rebrands.

When one purchases gasoline, one uses the same nozzle and just pushes button to select grade of gas.
My question is, do you think they are the same as well?

Has anyone considered that perhaps the "microscopic views" were generated and introduced to internet shaving forums by Russian mobsters controlling the plants where these blades are made in order to get us to buy and try more blades because we think they're all different? Think about it......

Has anyone considered that perhaps the "microscopic views" were generated and introduced to internet shaving forums by Russian mobsters controlling the plants where these blades are made in order to get us to buy and try more blades because we think they're all different? Think about it......

Yes I have thought about that. A lot! Just like you. :) And I am convinced they are shifting from less profitable lines of shady business, such as running guns, drugs, trafficking and extortion, and are now increasingly rebranding DE-blades and selling diluted Proraso-soap (that would explain why some people don't like Proraso, they bought the counterfeit tubs/tubes!!). I also think they have been starting wet shaving discussion forums online (using American servers of course to throw us off the track) to boost the sales and fool easily tricked European and North American anti-beardos into buying blades that will last them five lifetimes.

"Mischka", of course, is a mole. :lol:

OK... Here's what we can all assume to be inside information. A list of all Gillette blades. You asked for it; B&B forum history provides it.

And an example of first-hand knowledge from the same expert, that different models are not the same blade in different wrappers (coincidentally the exact same two as mentioned hypothetically just up-thread).

And to discount the notion that variations between blades are due to shoddy overseas equipment and manufacturing/QC processes...
Thanks for the informative link. Giving Mishka the benefit of the doubt, all that we have learned is that GSB and Nacet are not the same blade; that says nothing about the others. Also, I don't think that anyone has accused Gillette of shoddy manufacturing. Results vary from blade to blade and month to month. The QA/QC process is designed to keep products within a specified range of tolerances, not to keep the products absolutely identical; that would be impossible.

There would be no "conspiracy" here. Rebranding for different markets is a perfectly legitimate practice and even serves to keep costs lower for the consumer.

There are two types of Gillette Platinum currently being sold - the more common blue with silver writing package and the much rarer white with blue lettering package (available in Spain and Italy). Nacet blades come in several varieties, bit I'm not sure how many of them are made by Gillette. Also there are two forms of 7 O'Clock Blue - one with the normal St. Pete address and one with a Czech address.

Last edited:
I've addressed this topic here many times so I have nothing more to add, other than to reiterate what I've already posted. Whether or not my information is believed is not a concern of mine. Each PG/Gillette brand of blade is produced to it's own unique set of specifications. This is easily accomplished with the modern advances in technology and the research behind it. There is no rebranding of identically-manufactured blades packaged under different brands. There are many different types of facial hair (aka YMMV) and we produce different blade brands across the globe to accommodate them.

Doesn't get much more definitive than that. But then I think some people keep their tinfoil hats on a bit too tightly.

Sometimes I get the impression people think the blades are being manufactured on 100-year-old machines, in a derelict factory with broken-out windows and no heat, by displaced Cossacks half-drunk on cheap vodka. Doctor Zhivago type stuff. Because if that's your view of Russia, then I can see why you might doubt they're cranking out multiple brands of razor blades.

But it still amazes me that people don't get the "easily accomplished with the modern advances in technology" thing. Yeesh.

Sometimes I get the impression people think the blades are being manufactured on 100-year-old machines, in a derelict factory with broken-out windows and no heat, by displaced Cossacks half-drunk on cheap vodka.

You nailed it. People keep confusing the Gillette factory with the Mostochlegmash (Rapira) factory. :lol:

I don't get the skepticism. Rebranding of consumer products is common, especially in a global marketplace. Appliances, automobiles, you name it. I've got a Mazda pickup truck, and it's basically a Ford Ranger.

Krumholtz's book "The Collectors Guide to American Razor Blades" documents dozens of rebrands.

I'd be very surprised if this didn't happen in today's market.

I've addressed this topic here many times so I have nothing more to add, other than to reiterate what I've already posted. Whether or not my information is believed is not a concern of mine. Each PG/Gillette brand of blade is produced to it's own unique set of specifications. This is easily accomplished with the modern advances in technology and the research behind it. There is no rebranding of identically-manufactured blades packaged under different brands. There are many different types of facial hair (aka YMMV) and we produce different blade brands across the globe to accommodate them.

You seem very knowledgeable about St. Pete products. Do you know if the Gillette Platinum blades in the white box with blue lettering are still in production. I've found them in grocery stores in Italy and I've hears they sell them in Spain. But I haven't heard of them being available anywhere else and vendors never have them for sale. Are Italy and Spain just selling off the last of a discontinued product or are these still being produced?

Have you tried all the blades coming out of the St. Pete plant to verify that no two of them feel the same to you? For instance, PermaSharp Supers are made for and sold in Turkey. They used to be made by someone other than Gillette out of their St. Pete plant and were a very popular blade in Turkey. Then Gillette started making them in St. Pete. Maybe they brought over the machines they used to be made on, or have blank stock that is unique to what used to be used for the Turkish blades ... or, maybe they took one of the very many blades they already made in St. Pete, stuffed them into PermaSharp Super boxes and sent them to the Turkish market. I think we would need someone inside the St. Pete plant to tell us for sure.

........The "someone other than Gillette" was the MEM factory in SERBIA...

You seem very knowledgeable about St. Pete products. Do you know if the Gillette Platinum blades in the white box with blue lettering are still in production. I've found them in grocery stores in Italy and I've hears they sell them in Spain. But I haven't heard of them being available anywhere else and vendors never have them for sale. Are Italy and Spain just selling off the last of a discontinued product or are these still being produced?

Ha! This is funny. I just looked through the old thread from June that I had quoted upthread, because I thought this very question had been answered there. Now I see that, actually, you had asked the same question back then on that thread but never got a reply from Mischka or anyone else. Instead, the thread morphed into a discussion about wax dots and then petered out. Here's hoping you'll get your answer this time!

Top Bottom