What's new

Camel, Marlboro, and Pall Mall Rolling Tobacco

I'm going to be getting in to rolling my own cigarettes to cut cost down a little. I have seen the Marlboro, Camel, Pall Mall pouches on youtube but it seems like they are always in the UK somewhere. Do they sell the loose "Popular" brands of tobacco in the US Market?

I've seen the insides of quite a few shops that turned out to sell only rolling tobacco when I was looking for pipe tobacco and have not seen any of those, nor have I noticed them on mail-order websites.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yeah, I've never seen those either. The only "popular" brand I see available RYO in the US is American Spirit. Otherwise, it's off-brand stuff in the 1 pound bags and European stuff. FWIW, Peter Stokkebye makes some excellent RYO tobacco. I've had the pipe tobacco equivalents of a couple of RYO tobaccos: PS 83 Turkish (in RYO it's "Turkish Export") and PS 84 Amsterdam (in RYO it's "Amsterdam") and they are both great.

With the levels of non tobacco in the actual factory rolled products from those companies, you'd be better served by far with a brand that is 100% actual tobacco, anyways. Don't pay any attention to the names, judge by the contents, for sure.

I rolled a whole pack of Bugler Turkish & American blend cigarette tobacco last night. Working on that. Pretty decent stuff

Not a whole lot of selection for cigarette tobacco around me. Bugler, TOP and maybe one other. Otherwise all the smoke shops carry the pipe tobaccos and house blend cheap pipe tobaccos etc.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Back in the day I rolled King Bee, a very strong local tobacco that was mostly Perique, I think. I believe it was the exact same tobacco used in Picayune cigarettes, which went out of production in I think 1975 or thereabouts. PA I thought was horrible. Bugler was okayish. Tried Bull Durham and it was better than you would think from just looking at it. Tried Kite but didn't like the heavy menthol. Drum wasn't bad but by then I had pretty much quit smoking cigarettes.

Back in the day I rolled King Bee, a very strong local tobacco that was mostly Perique, I think. I believe it was the exact same tobacco used in Picayune cigarettes, which went out of production in I think 1975 or thereabouts. PA I thought was horrible. Bugler was okayish. Tried Bull Durham and it was better than you would think from just looking at it. Tried Kite but didn't like the heavy menthol. Drum wasn't bad but by then I had pretty much quit smoking cigarettes.

Daughter's and Ryan makes a

Picayune blend that's supposed to be reminiscing of that blend:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72686/daughters-ryan-picayune-tin-bag-bulk/

From what I understand, there are a few of his blends that are made for either the pipe or RYO. He is the guy that basically gave St. James Parish a new lease on life for the Perique industry.

I thought it was a combination of him and the American Spirits brand of cigarette when they came out with a perique cig blend that hit big.

I thought it was a combination of him and the American Spirits brand of cigarette when they came out with a perique cig blend that hit big.

You need to listen to this episode of the Pipes Magazine Radio Show. If you aren't a regular listener, you should be. Every pipe smoker should listen to this and the Country Squire. They have some awesome content. This particular episode is entirely about perique and how Mark Ryan basically saved the production. He bought the farm. Literally.

Last edited:
You need to listen to this episode of the Pipes Magazine Radio Show. If you aren't a regular listener, you should be. Every pipe smoker should listen to this and the Country Squire. They have some awesome content. This particular episode is entirely about perique and how Mark Ryan basically saved the production. He bought the farm. Literally.

Awesome, I'll tamp down a bowl and fire it up in a bit. Interestingly enough, I was at a shop yesterday, and saw American Spirits perique blend in a RYO pouch on the shelf. I was intrigued to give it a try, but the price tag on it was past what I'd pay for that kind of an experiment, sadly.

Awesome, I'll tamp down a bowl and fire it up in a bit. Interestingly enough, I was at a shop yesterday, and saw American Spirits perique blend in a RYO pouch on the shelf. I was intrigued to give it a try, but the price tag on it was past what I'd pay for that kind of an experiment, sadly.

The perique is very strong and bold. I really enjoy the organic grown stuff myself. If you like very bold I would give the perique a try. American Spirits has yet to disappoint me.

I purchase the empty cigarette tubes. They come 200 to a box. Then I use a cheapie little device that stuffs the tobacco in the tube. I buy Sampson. It is a shag tobacco that comes in a pouch. I pay about 8.50 $ per pouch the same size as a pouch of pipe tobacco and I get about 60 cigarettes out of a pouch. I prefer the halvesware tobacco taste.
It has a hickory smoked scent to the tobacco. I have never seen top of the line cigarette tobacco in pouches that you could roll your own.

Good hunting

Rick

Last edited:
With the levels of non tobacco (read toxic chemicals) in the actual factory rolled products from those companies, you'd be better served by far with a brand that is 100% actual tobacco, anyways. Don't pay any attention to the names, judge by the contents, for sure.

True 1,000%. PIPE tobacco has little to none of these toxic chemicals which is why pipe tobacco is more rewarding. Leave all the cigarette based crap tobacco on the shelf for some other fool to buy.

Top Bottom