What's new

Master Well Comb Aftershave Line: My Thoughts and Descriptions

Went into my local B&M barber supply store and they've broadened the line of Master Well Comb after shaves they carry. I think I saw all but Champagne and Checkered Flag. My intent was to buy Topaz, which I knew they had, but decided to pair it against Impulse. I opted for Impulse. I've only had it on for about 20 minutes and can't really describe it yet, but I like the strong spice notes I'm getting.
I got some Impulse a while back, and after trying it on I asked my 11 year old son what he thought. He told me, "Dad, you smell like the barber shop". I liked it too!

Nice review my friend.I wonder how these compare to gabels-especially lilac- and stephens aftershave.
I suppose they all compete in the same league of aftershave lotions.

Considering the narrow distribution of most of these aftershaves, it really is amazing how often we discuss them. Even most of Clubman's line is hard to find unless you check Walgreens.com, Appleton Barber, Atlanta Barber and a few others.

Appleton has the full line of Master aftershaves whereas Atlanta Barber lists about half of them. I have bought from both, and they are good outfits to do business with, a rarity these days. Couldn't tell you about Walgreens though, I think they would be alright too.

Appleton has the full line of Master aftershaves whereas Atlanta Barber lists about half of them. I have bought from both, and they are good outfits to do business with, a rarity these days. Couldn't tell you about Walgreens though, I think they would be alright too.
A call to Atlanta Barber to ask what they have in stock might be a good idea if there is a desire to buy from there. My order from them came with a paper catalog that showed Master aftershaves that aren't listed on their web site.

I've ordered from Walgreens.com and they're excellent, as would be expected from a huge company. The customer service is US based and the shipping is free with orders over $35. You have to look for sales and the occasional 20% off coupons. I picked up Clubman Special Reserve for $4.40, Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel for $6.40, and Barbasol Brisk for $1.85 a few weeks ago. I also got Brut Dominant for $7.19 a few months ago and you can only get that online (it's excellent). Right now they have great prices on the 12.5 oz bottle of Clubman Aftershave and the 12 oz bottle of VIBR ($5.79 and $6.69 respectively). Maybe if enough of us requested it, Walgreens.com would carry the Master line. Appleton and Atlanta Barber Supply have great prices, too but their shipping scale is higher.

At the risk of cross posting, I just got an e-mail response from Master and they have confirmed discontinuation of several products

"Impulse, Jade, Challenge, Focus, Lord and Master, and Champagne have been discontinued."

As I see several fans of Impulse here, strike now while the iron is hot. Spice was on the chopping block too, but it got a reprieve due to popular demand.

Also, I'd like to say I got a response to my query in less than 2 hours, so Kudos to master for keeping open good lines of communication! They definitely read their e-mail.

$14436552943151.jpgI received my shipment but have yet to shave. After splashing a little of the Jade on my wrist, I have to say after dry down and about 20 minutes it reminds me of British Sterling. Also a very distant (and much cheaper) cousin of Floris Elite. So, what that says to me is that we've got a citrus opening with some Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli and Oak coming in a little later. It seems very strong, but it's much more mellow on the skin than what I get when I sniff from the bottle.

Lord and Master - my first impression just from the bottle is that it's similar to a kind of Florida Water that you'd find in a Chinese Market. There's orange there, and it's also very powdery.. I'll be very interested to see how this one goes on the face.

Champagne... I have no idea about this one.. This didn't remind me of anything straight from the bottle, if it's Amber like some guys say I guess I'm not all that familiar with the scent. It's certainly on the woody side of things, but not "woodsy" like Timberline..

Last edited:
After splashing a little of the Jade on my wrist...It seems very strong, but it's much more mellow on the skin than what I get when I sniff from the bottle.

I think that was my problem with Jade, I just smelled it in the bottle and the scent was too piney for me. Nice to know it changes composition on the skin. I might have to take the plunge and buy it...once it's gone, I'm sure I'll be glad I did.

Lord and Master I really like. Comparison's I read to L & M smelling like Clubman...I didn't agree with. It has its own unique aroma.

After splashing a little of the Jade on my wrist, I have to say after dry down and about 20 minutes it reminds me of British Sterling. Also a very distant (and much cheaper) cousin of Floris Elite. So, what that says to me is that we've got a citrus opening with some Sandalwood, Vetiver, Patchouli and Oak coming in a little later. It seems very strong, but it's much more mellow on the skin than what I get when I sniff from the bottle.

The OP stated that the Jade scent disappeared on his skin almost immediately. How long did it last for you? The one thing that's keeping me from buying any products from the Master line is that I don't want another weak aftershave scent that disappears within the hour. I love the Clubman line, but their only aftershave that lasts for a few hours is Special Reserve. The scent of Aqua Velva Musk lasts four hours or more. More expensive ones like Paul Sebastian aftershave linger for quite a long time.

Which of the scents last longer than 20 minutes on the skin?

Of the ones I have, Challenge lasts the longest, then Bay Rum, then maybe Topaz or Lilac Vegetol, then Spice. The thing I've noticed is that while I may think the scent has disappeared, my wife can still smell it. So at some point, having aftershave on makes us a little nose blind to the fainter scents.

The OP stated that the Jade scent disappeared on his skin almost immediately. How long did it last for you? The one thing that's keeping me from buying any products from the Master line is that I don't want another weak aftershave scent that disappears within the hour. I love the Clubman line, but their only aftershave that lasts for a few hours is Special Reserve. The scent of Aqua Velva Musk lasts four hours or more. More expensive ones like Paul Sebastian aftershave linger for quite a long time.

I haven't used Jade yet after a shave. The first day I used L&M and it seemed to fade pretty quick, but I didn't use a lot because it was the first time. Today I used Champagne and I really like it.. it's fresh, clean and soapy. I used quite a bit and it does seem to be fading after a few hours. Neither L&M or Champagne are as strong on the skin as the Bay Rum, even though they both seem quite potent when just sniffing from the bottle.

But everyone is different. For me, all of the Pinaud aftershaves that I have, Clubman, LV, Vanilla and SR last all day.

But everyone is different. For me, all of the Pinaud aftershaves that I have, Clubman, LV, Vanilla and SR last all day.

I'm going to have to retract my earlier comment about the longevity of the regular Clubman aftershave scent. After yesterday's shave, I applied Clubman regular aftershave a few minutes after Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel (fantastic combo, IMHO). I rubbed a few drops on my hairy arms. Not only did I smell the aftershave on my arms the whole day, but almost 24 hours later I can smell a hint of it. That's not the case with all aftershaves. The Classic Old Spice dissipates much faster.

Masters Jade - great scent, sort of a sandalwood/vetiver scent with a side of citrus. I'm not very good at describing scents. However, I shaved 7 hours ago and there's very little of the scent left. I'd say it was "strong" for about 3 hours then started to fade after that. Bay Rum and Champagne both last longer on my skin.

Just noticed a few days ago that Champagne does not list Alcohol as an ingredient. So, if someone is looking for an alcohol-free splash that has a nice woody/soapy scent, then this would be one to check out before it's gone for good..

Top Bottom