What's new

Osage Rub Aftershave

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I bought that bottle of Osage Rub Aftershave a few years ago. I used it a few times but not really. Recently, I decided to use it on a more regular basis. It's summer and the cooling sensation is something that I really look forward to.
IMG_1696.JPG

On those hot summer days, I started to appreciate the menthol (or I should say camphor) scent. If I put too much, it stings my eyes. Getting the ratio right is awesome when I get it!

Up north in Canada, this is not a regular one at my local pharmacy. Some rare places will carry it but most don't (the big retail stores). I usually buy it online from a shave shop. A lot of Canadian shaving shops have it in stock locally.

I have to admit, it's a scent that you might hate at first. While the scent is not as strong as something like Clubman Pinaud Classic (Original) or Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. Those two are very different. It will still hit you!

If you haven't tried this one, I would recommend that you do. I sure use my local stuff like Skin Bracer by Mennen or Aqua Velva (Original, Sport, or Musk). This is my brief but positive appreciation thread about "OS" or "The Rub"!

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Osage Rub has been my main driver since I started this thread. Looking at the original picture, it did not go down that much. I never bothered transferring it into a glass bottle. Maybe I should try that...

Osage Rub has been my main driver since I started this thread. Looking at the original picture, it did not go down that much. I never bothered transferring it into a glass bottle. Maybe I should try that...
IMG_5104.jpeg
After transferring my witch hazel from plastic to glass I could really smell the difference in that light scent.

Now I move everything to glass, even though it is harder for me to smell the difference in strong scents like OR.

I like to make an aftershave rinse by blending 2 parts Everclear 190 with 1 part Dickinson’s witch hazel. Mixing that solution 1:1 with Osage Rub yields something very similar to Proraso green splash without the stickiness. I prefer this to mixing with straight witch hazel as this maintains the clarity of the OR. Obviously this would be quite drying on it’s own, but I always follow it with a balm.

I like to make an aftershave rinse by blending 2 parts Everclear 190 with 1 part Dickinson’s witch hazel. Mixing that solution 1:1 with Osage Rub yields something very similar to Proraso green splash without the stickiness. I prefer this to mixing with straight witch hazel as this maintains the clarity of the OR. Obviously this would be quite drying on it’s own, but I always follow it with a balm.
You could always add a little bit of glycerin to lessen the drying effect.

I love everything menthol--the more the better. I've gone through a couple bottles of Osage Rub, but I'm well aware my wife doesn't love the scent. She said it makes me smell like an old man who uses too much BenGay on sore muscles. So I don't normally use it daily which means a bottle last me over a year.

Top Bottom