What's new

Osage Rub Aftershave

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
View attachment 1713104After transferring my witch hazel from plastic to glass I could really smell the difference in that light scent.

Now I move everything to glass, even though it is harder for me to smell the difference in strong scents like OR.
Since we are all about history and stuff (mostly stuff). I was curious about the Richard's Rub. I found this post where it mentions 50/50 Osage Rub and Dickinson's witch hazel. I'm guessing it lowers the menthol levels and the witch hazel must help the skin a lot. What are your impressions about it (if you have 2 decants, it must be good)?

I'm not a nut for menthol but do appreciate it in the hot weather - started using Osage Rub last summer and it's great! Can't find it in stores here, just online, but it's worth it. Got to try it the first time when a barber used it on me. The freeze is pretty intense.

Since we are all about history and stuff (mostly stuff). I was curious about the Richard's Rub. I found this post where it mentions 50/50 Osage Rub and Dickinson's witch hazel. I'm guessing it lowers the menthol levels and the witch hazel must help the skin a lot. What are your impressions about it (if you have 2 decants, it must be good)?
TL;DR: Richard's Rub is my #1 menthol AS.

I don't have a daily splash, but I have three splashes that never leave the den. Richard's Rub, 4Rum BB, and Floïd the Genuine. There is a bottle of straight Dickinson's there too, but I use that when I want a final rinse without any menthol or lingering scent.

I like the Floïd but am using it up and won't replace it. I often take the extra moments to splash some straight Stephan or Gabels bay rum instead of the 4 Rum BB.

I just keep blending and using more Richard's Rub. I seldom take a straight splash of OR. When I do, it's because I crave the slap in the face. I have mixed up Green Freeze, but it did not win me.

So in truth, RR is my #1. More efficient (ha ha) than first Dickinson's then OR. I don't have sensitive skin or a sensitive nose. Most days the LOTH is not around when I'm freshly shaved. So, I do what I want and most often RR is it.

Luc

Staff member
@Tanuki, do you have a bit of background on how this mix became Richard's Rub? Perhaps a link to a post when you first saw it?

@Tanuki, do you have a bit of background on how this mix became Richard's Rub? Perhaps a link to a post when you first saw it?

I made it and named it. The (short) story is on the forum some where. Richard's for Dickinson's of course, Rub from the Osage.

The switch from Dick to Richard is a personal reference/joke. A long time climbing, skiing, sailing partner of mine got his name changed from Dick to Richard over 40 years ago, when he started dating the woman who is still his wife. I saw him last week.

I am still getting used to his name change. :blink: Not a fast learner, I know. Maybe I'm lucky the LOTH didn't put the kibosh on 'John' as too rude.

Luc

Staff member
I made it and named it. The (short) story is on the forum some where. Richard's for Dickinson's of course, Rub from the Osage.

The switch from Dick to Richard is a personal reference/joke. A long time climbing, skiing, sailing partner of mine got his name changed from Dick to Richard over 40 years ago, when he started dating the woman who is still his wife. I saw him last week.

I am still getting used to his name change. :blink: Not a fast learner, I know. Maybe I'm lucky the LOTH didn't put the kibosh on 'John' as too rude.
Gotcha, I wasn't sure where Richard was from! Thanks!

Luc

Staff member
So, I finally transferred part of the Osage Rub into a small (57ml) Tabasco bottle. I like using those bottles since they are glass, compact, and don't leak (usually).

So, some might see it as a mix(or whatever kids are calling this today) but it's mainly Osage Rub with a tiny amount of Razorock Baby Blue that I had left. Since it's not Osage Rub, I called it Starlord Supermix (mix to change over time as Starlord doesn't remain in one spot for long).

IMG_1879.JPG

I just received a bottle of Osage Rub in the mail today. Never used it. Been using Proraso Green aftershave lotion for a decade. Nearly out of the 400ml barber version and needed something in a pinch. How does this compare?

Luc

Staff member
I just received a bottle of Osage Rub in the mail today. Never used it. Been using Proraso Green aftershave lotion for a decade. Nearly out of the 400ml barber version and needed something in a pinch. How does this compare?
It's not the same.

They are both green. They both have menthol but Osage must have 10x the menthol. I find Proraso to be a classic with a subtle fragrance. Osage is also a classic but leaning more toward camphor. Since you have a bottle, give it a go.

Some find Osage too strong so they mix it with another AS for the menthol kick. I have yet to try @Tanuki Richard's Rub!

@Luc is quietly restrained. I have and enjoy both, but the comparison is like PG apples and OR bowling balls. Or maybe XXX wrecking balls.

50/50 Osage Rub/Dickinson's Witch Hazel is Richard's Rub. (Or your choice of WH.)
Much 'safer' :punk: but still somewhat 'insane'. :letterk1:

Reactions: Luc
I used the Osage Rub this morning. Yall weren't lying that it's 10x the menthol, wow. My face felt ice cold for about 5 minutes. I may have to trying mixing it with skin bracer to tone it down.

Luc

Staff member
I enjoy Osage rub during the hot summer days. those are the best days! Since I started this thread, I developed some endurance on the product. There's a single day where I did not like Osage. We did not have any power and it was quite cold inside the house (12C or 54F). It felt like diving head-first into an ice-filled bath!

Top Bottom