What's new

Please give me some advice about Lavender and Rose soaps

Maybe I will get CF or GD Lavender.
Is GD Lavender dark-sided?
If my memory works, some gents reported GD English Lavender tends to be dark.
Thanks a lot.

I've never tried the English Lavender from GD so I can't say. What I have from them is plain Lavender, like in the pic @ChriWilson posted. I would call it a pure lavender with a very slight powder scent. Not dark at all. I normally don't like powdery notes but this is so mild it's almost not noticeable.

MDC rose - TOBS rose - LP rose de Pushkar
Castle Forbes lavender is great ! :)

Cyril L. Salter wild rose cream is really good. My fave of the rose scented creams.

+1 to the MDC Rose, Le Pere Lucien rose du pushkar, and Castle Forbes recommendations

Note: just saw that you're getting MDC. Nice choice. For lavender, I've been through a number of lavenders but CF is a great lavender EO scent.

I was going to suggest this as well for lavender. I'm kind of surprised MdC hasn't offered a pure lavender scent. Los Jabones de Joserra Brihuega is another good one that is much more lavender forward than the MdC but still has some other things going on in the background.

If pure lavender is what you're after I'd start with Grooming Dept. It's very nice. Ethos lavender is nice but, to my nose, has a slightly sour smell or something similar to a sour smell. It's very faint and hard to describe, but I do notice it. More so when smelling the jar rather than when lathering. It's probably one of the ingredients in the soap.

I don't have any experience with the C

astle Forbes Lavender, but their Lime is amazing and I suspect the lavender would be really good too

Dear gents,
Before pulling the trigger on CF Lavender, I want to ensure consistency.
CF is a "cream" rather than a "croap," just like DR Harris or TOBS cream.
Am I right?
When using DR Harris or TOBS cream, I scoop a little cream into my brush rather than load it directly.
In my experience, extra water makes cream disappear quickly.
Thank you all.

I've never tried the English Lavender from GD so I can't say. What I have from them is plain Lavender, like in the pic @ChriWilson posted. I would call it a pure lavender with a very slight powder scent. Not dark at all. I normally don't like powdery notes but this is so mild it's almost not noticeable.

I appreciate your valuable opinions.

Well rose and lavender are feminine scents so my comment is spot on. If you want smell like that go for it.

Sounds like you have typecast all floral fragrances as feminine. Just depends on what they are blended with. They can be masculine.

There is a woody, dark rose that has been a traditional man's scent for years. Rose geranium has been used in traditional English men's toiletries for a long time. Lavender can be feminine or masculine, depending on what other scents it is blended with.

Sounds like you have typecast all floral fragrances as feminine. Just depends on what they are blended with. They can be masculine.

There is a woody, dark rose that has been a traditional man's scent for years. Rose geranium has been used in traditional English men's toiletries for a long time. Lavender can be feminine or masculine, depending on what other scents it is blended with.
Well, From my time living all over the world, some of the girly scents I have found are from TOBS Rose, Lavender, and Sandalwood, all smell like perfume. That is for me. I like scents of Bay Rum, Tobacco & Vanilla, musk, and other American scents that say I actually work with my hands and get them dirty and am not dainty.

Dear gents,
Before pulling the trigger on CF Lavender, I want to ensure consistency.
CF is a "cream" rather than a "croap," just like DR Harris or TOBS cream.
Am I right?
When using DR Harris or TOBS cream, I scoop a little cream into my brush rather than load it directly.
In my experience, extra water makes cream disappear quickly.
Thank you all.

I appreciate your valuable opinions.

Yes, CF would be considered a cream.

Well, From my time living all over the world, some of the girly scents I have found are from TOBS Rose, Lavender, and Sandalwood, all smell like perfume. That is for me. I like scents of Bay Rum, Tobacco & Vanilla, musk, and other American scents that say I actually work with my hands and get them dirty and am not dainty.

This kind of attitude is not necessary. There is no need to belittle what scent someone likes. First of all, as previously mentioned, not all rose or lavender scents are feminine. Second, even if they are, why do you feel it's necessary to criticize that?

Shave soap scent has nothing to do with whether you work with your hands or don't. You can use all the bay rum or musk scented American fragrances you want and it doesn't mean a darn thing about who you are. The words that you type though...

I love Bay rum, especially AS Splash.
I believe loving lavender/rose does not contradict loving bay rum.

Well, why not just enjoy the things you like and leave it at that? All this stuff about "girly" scents just makes you look misinformed since these kind of scents have been used by men for years and years.

I use Ethos Lavender - I still have a soft base (which I like quite a bit). I had a custom, spicy Tuscan lavender splash made.

From the GD English lavender I always thought it was too much citrus and very little lavender.

MdC and Ethos both lather big so if you want a jar that lasts and gives you a lot of cushion those are the two I would go for. The big difference I have noticed:

MdC - no post shave and uses some synthetics in their rose.

Ethos - no synthetics and excellent post shave leaving me hydrated but not oily.

Both soaps a little goes a long way.

I too love bay rum - here is a new one to me I’m trying:

IMG_4819.jpeg

Florals like rose, lavender, and lilac have been used in men's products since before any of us were alive. Bay rums were popular because they were strong enough to cover up the natural stench of cowpokes. Fougere, which is a quintessential masculine scent nowadays, was originally developed as a women's scent.

At the end of the day, a man ought to smell good. Flowers smell good. So do a lot of other things.

This kind of attitude is not necessary. There is no need to belittle what scent someone likes. First of all, as previously mentioned, not all rose or lavender scents are feminine. Second, even if they are, why do you feel it's necessary to criticize that?

Shave soap scent has nothing to do with whether you work with your hands or don't. You can use all the bay rum or musk scented American fragrances you want and it doesn't mean a darn thing about who you are. The words that you type though...
Well I guess in this day and age of people having more than sensitive skin. We need to mindful of that only opinions that don’t make people uncomfortable are only allowed. But people should be aware of what people think of a product for good or bad. If something smells like women’s perfume and you’re ok smelling like that knock yourself out. Also having someone point out that it’s not a masculine scent might save a person money in not buying it.

Self awareness and Emotional Intelligence lesson:
I’m a one and done guy as far as blades are concerned. If I happen on to a thread where someone is looking for opinions on blade longevity, I’m clearly not the guy to chime in. Even worse would be getting on my soap box and preaching all about how I find using a blade more than once something that no one should do. It’s not for me but I get a real kick out of those who love pushing the boundaries of blade use.

It pays to know your audience.

Thank you.

Well I guess in this day and age of people having more than sensitive skin. We need to mindful of that only opinions that don’t make people uncomfortable are only allowed. But people should be aware of what people think of a product for good or bad. If something smells like women’s perfume and you’re ok smelling like that knock yourself out. Also having someone point out that it’s not a masculine scent might save a person money in not buying it.

It's not your opinion that's the problem. It's how you stated that opinion. If you can't see that I don't know what else to say and I'm not going to waste any more time on this.

Top Bottom