What's new

Osage Rub Aftershave

Just wanted to make people aware that Gabel's has an inexpensive product called Sta-Cool. It's very similar to Osage Rub and better is some ways. It has maybe one-half as much menthol and instead of the muscle-rub scent, the scent is more spearmint and birch bark. No glycerine AFAIK, though you can use Sta-Cool in your aftershave recipes in place of Osage Rub as an alternative.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just wanted to make people aware that Gabel's has an inexpensive product called Sta-Cool. It's very similar to Osage Rub and better is some ways. It has maybe one-half as much menthol and instead of the muscle-rub scent, the scent is more spearmint and birch bark. No glycerine AFAIK, though you can use Sta-Cool in your aftershave recipes in place of Osage Rub as an alternative.

I have played around with Gabel's Sta-Cool in my laboratory in years past. The muscle-rub scent you describe in Osage Rub is the Eucalyptus in it's ingredients list. When mixing OR, the Eucalyptus scent is there, but only for a few seconds before totally disappearing with the dry down. I actually kinda like it's faint, fleeting medicinal scent. Kinda reminds me of the same initial medicinal scent you get when using Proraso Green before it dries down and disappears.

But the spearmint and birch bark in Sta-Cool? Not so much. I'm sure spearmint & birch bark would mix with something, but that something would need to be selected carefully in order for those specific scents to synergize with each other. One can mix something, with anything... Getting it to synergize is a bit more complicated. :)

Reactions: Kix
I have played around with Gabel's Sta-Cool in my laboratory in years past...One can mix something, with anything... Getting it to synergize is a bit more complicated. :)

Oh, dear! I do like some of your recipes, but I'm afraid you would not approve of some of my experimental mixtures (such as Stephan Bay Rum, Gabel's Bay Rum, and Eyup Sabri Tuncer Lemon Kolonya).

As you say, "c'est la vie". Or as I like to say "what's the harm of trying it and seeing for yourself".

❓

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Am I a heathen? Instead of mixing Green Freeze, I put on Osage Rub, let it dry, hen put on Skin Bracer. I don’t want to dilute the menthol in The Rub, nor the fragrance of Skin Bracer.

Am I a heathen? Instead of mixing Green Freeze, I put on Osage Rub, let it dry, hen put on Skin Bracer. I don’t want to dilute the menthol in The Rub, nor the fragrance of Skin Bracer.
I honestly don’t notice any loss of menthol from Osage Rub or loss of scent from the skin bracer when mixed together into Green Freeze. In fact I think the menthol feels more intense while the scent of the skin bracer is the only thing I notice

OkieStubble

Oh, dear! I do like some of your recipes, but I'm afraid you would not approve of some of my experimental mixtures (such as Stephan Bay Rum, Gabel's Bay Rum, and Eyup Sabri Tuncer Lemon Kolonya).

As you say, "c'est la vie". Or as I like to say "what's the harm of trying it and seeing for yourself".

❓

I am always happy to try anything you got? :)

OkieStubble

Heathen? I don’t think anyone else is taking it that serious?

If you don’t want to mix, then don’t mix? Don’t fix what ain’t broken I always say. :)

OkieStubble

I honestly don’t notice any loss of menthol from Osage Rub or loss of scent from the skin bracer when mixed together into Green Freeze. In fact I think the menthol feels more intense while the scent of the skin bracer is the only thing I notice

Perfect description my friend. :)

I am always happy to try anything you got? :)

I started the Bay Rum experiment wanting to make one with lime. Since I didn't have anything with lime on hand, I thought lemon might be interesting. Not bad at all, you don't need much lemon, and the Tuncer kolonya is good quality. I like the Pereja kolonya, but didn't have any around.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was at the local pharmacy today and stopped by the aftershave section (hoping to see Mennen Skin Bracer but with no success). They had Old Spice Classic, Aqua Velva Ice Sport, and Original brut no AV Musk.

A bit of background on what's about to happen.

I noticed that I have dry skin during winter. Yesterday, post-shave, my face felt so dry that I thought it would crack. It might be the alum block's fault. So, turning into an old(-er) man, I guess I need to start using balms again(at least during winter). I don't want to trash my stash of splash!

So, @Tanuki's Richard's Rub could help (1:1 Osage/Witch Hazel). I couldn't find Dickinson's Witch Hazel, like Skin Bracer, it disappeared. Thayer's was one special so I picked unscented.

Following @rockviper Clubman's milk. I made something similar with Nivea AS sensitive (around 25%). The last time I bought Nivea, I was in my early 20s (20 or 21 max). It doesn't smell like it used to but, Nivea is sticking to the same story, a very faint scent.

Anyways, it made this:
IMG_1909.JPG

I tried it (without shaving) and the scent/feeling is good. There's something minty in there. The Camphor/Menthol tag team is less aggressive. I only have a small quantity to see how it goes. The Mythbusters were right, always start small and then go big!

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
Sam's "Clubman milk" from our box had me curious... I dug out my one and only bottle of aftershave and it is indeed Osage Rub. I also have a little bottle of Mama bears menthol additive.. I used to be a menthol fiend. Its nice eh?

Top Bottom