What's new

Use R41 on your sweater - not just for shaving anymore

I'm a staunch advocate of the Mühle R41 - it's the only weapon I use to shave my face.
It turns out to have an excellent alternative use as a sweater shaver.
Let me explain.

I'm a great fan of wearing v-neck sweaters for business. Not as formal as a suit or sports coat, yet still somehow businesslike and very comfortable all day. The problem is pilling. Regardless of whether it's Cashmere or Merino or Lambswool - even on a relatively new sweater those horrible bloody pills appear on the areas subject to most friction.

Ever vigilant, I was online to look for remedies and once or twice saw a standard disposable razor as a suggestion. Pull tight and basically shave the surface. I even saw one person propose a safety razor warning that one slip and you can slit the weft or weave and your $100 sweater is ruined.

But NOONE suggested the obvious. That R41 exposes far more blade than a standard disposable, yet with far less risk of a slit to the fabric. I tried it today and - it works wonderfully well. I'm adept at using it - I seldom get nicks - so I felt confident to tackle two prized sweaters that had pilled way too much. In 3 minutes it was done. A shaved sweater, pill free.

Give it a go. No lather required ;-)

MODERATOR: I realize that this is not shaving related in the classic sense, so please feel free to move it if it should appear elsewhere.

Top Bottom