What's new

What type/brand of razor is good for head shaving?

My current favorite head shaver is also the Blackland Vector. I have it in titanium, and it was by no means budget-friendly, but paired with a Feather Pro blade, I get satisfying BBS results. I’d like to try the Leaf sometime soon.

When I was shaving my head, I used a Merkur 15c razor. It’s an open comb. I would always do one against the grain pass with touch up(mostly to save time.) always worked good for me. I never liked shaving my chin with that razor, but shaving my head with it was good. At the time I was using MWF(before they took the tallow out), so I didn’t have much irritation or deal with. I eventually got tired of head shaving, as it took to much of my time. I work at a large auto plant and have an hour long drive one way.

I decided to try out a DE razor, bought a Mühle Companion on the recommendation of a local barber. It's supposed to be one of the milder razors around.

I tried shaving today, I got a wicked razor burn and a few nicks on the back of my head/neck. It's very difficult to shave back there! Everywhere else was smooth, but I'll need much more practice before I'm able to get a satisfactory shave. I probably got a little greedy for my first attempt since I wasn't getting a close enough shave and some areas I wasn't having much luck with so I did an ATG pass, that was probably not a great idea and one pass too many. Maybe I shouldn't expect to be able to get as close a shave as I can get with a cartridge for the time being and settle for a little stubble.
It's different to carts, remember apply no pressure. I use all sorts of DE and SE razors, what I use for the face. Patience and you will get better. Maybe the easiest: Leaf Thorn (uses half DE blade), this is closer to a cart.....more so than the clunky Leaf head.
Tried those electrics: BURN more than shave. The best and cheapest closer to a cart, maybe better: Gillette Guard Single Edge

Top Bottom