What's new

What type/brand of razor is good for head shaving?

Sorry if this has been covered already, a search of this message board didn't turn up many threads specifically about head shaving and only a few specifically newbie-related.

Anyway, I've been shaving my head for close to a decade now. Right now I'm just using a Gilette razor with disposable heads which is great, no major complaints per se, however I do have some gripes: 1) it takes at least three passes plus detail work to get a good shave and it feels like some areas I just can't get a close shave no matter how hard I try. Feels like a relatively high amount of effort to get good results 2) It's so wasteful and to be honest that really bothers me

So, I was thinking of leveling up my game and was hoping to get some guidance on good razors specifically for head shaving. I do own a straight razor that takes replaceable razor blades, I got it as a gift from somebody traveling in Dubai so it's an obscure brand and I doubt it's a high quality instrument, but it seems okay. I shaved my face with it for a while and really liked it apart from the occasional razor burn. I'll be honest I'm definitely not skilled at using straight razors but at the time I became good enough to shave without nicking myself, for what it's worth. That phase didn't last super long though because soon after I started growing out my beard and have been sporting one ever since.

However, shaving your head is a totally different beast. Honestly, I'm pretty apprehensive of taking a straight razor to my head, since you have to do it mostly by feel and I just have no experience using a straight in that way. I thought maybe getting a DE might be a good idea. To be fair the disposable razor I have now does pivot and I certainly take advantage of that but I'm unsure if I can't live without that feature. Those of you who shave your head not using a disposable, do you prefer DE razors or straight razors? Is learning to shave with the latter as challenging and impractical as it seems? And if you prefer DEs, is there a specific type/brand that you feel works better for shaving your head? Since I don't need a razor for my face it's okay for it to be fully optimized for just that purpose.

Here are some DEs I can get locally:
Mühle: R89, R41
Merkur: 39C, 38C

I should note I have no experience with DEs whatsoever. From my limited research it seems like the R89 is a good beginner DE razor and especially for beginner head shaving as it's relatively forgiving, but might not offer a very close shave, but probably better than a disposable right? Please correct me if I'm wrong and let me know if any of these are worthwhile.

Thanks very much in advance, and sorry if this post was a little meandering.

I shave my face with a safety razor, but I use a Remington Balder Pro on my head.

I can get a closer head shave with it than a good barber does with a shavette. I use it in the shower, so there's virtually zero cleanup. It's also never, ever cut me.

I shave my face with a safety razor, but I use a Remington Balder Pro on my head.

I can get a closer head shave with it than a good barber does with a shavette. I use it in the shower, so there's virtually zero cleanup. It's also never, ever cut me.
Really? I didn't know those things were so effective. I'll definitely look into that, thanks.

Until recently I used the same razor on my head as on my face. However, due to a fractured wrist on my dominant hand, I started to use a Gillette Mach 3 razor and have continued using that. Most likely I will go back to a safety razor when my wrist heals.

The Wiki has some info on head shaving.

I have used KCG and it works well, I did 3 passes and i shave my head 1-2 times a year. I had no problems, handle is long enough and heavy enough
I have EJ DE89 and it hase same head as R89. If I compare KCG with DE89, KCG is a bit milder. Not much tbh. So I woul recomend R89 or KCG

Used Schick SST in past, as they can be thrown away after several uses. New tried with DE, but mild would be choice like Vintage Gillette. Head was bought because you shaving spots you can not see. Use to do it daily, with SST.

Really? I didn't know those things were so effective. I'll definitely look into that, thanks.

Yeah, but note carefully what I'm saying. I can shave my own head closer with a safety razor than I can with the Balder Pro. It's just that barbers are never going to take you that close. They don't want to leave your skin irritated, so they just go for a close, comfortable shave.

Having said that, my electric head shaver easily and reliably provides DFS+ shaves. I use 'Lectric Shave and Bee Bald Shave Cream and do two passes, and it's always a great shave.

You'll get lots of responses and ultimately will probably have to experiment some.

I think no matter what razor you choose 2 passes will be the minimum sometimes 3 just like your current setup.

After trying a few de for head shaving (slim,superseded,Mellon among others)
I eventually changed gears and went with a razor that runs artist club blades

Razorock hawk V1

The're wider so you cover a bit more area with each pull of the razor and the life of an AC blade is much longer than a de.

Lots of guys run leaf razors, the head pivots and you can choose between 1 2 or 3half de blades loaded into the razor

Yeah, but note carefully what I'm saying. I can shave my own head closer with a safety razor than I can with the Balder Pro. It's just that barbers are never going to take you that close. They don't want to leave your skin irritated, so they just go for a close, comfortable shave.

Having said that, my electric head shaver easily and reliably provides DFS+ shaves. I use 'Lectric Shave and Bee Bald Shave Cream and do two passes, and it's always a great shave.
Oh, I see. Well, I've never been shaved by a barber so I'm not sure how close they generally go.

Welcome aboard, @masterbuilder!

I am relatively new to B&B and to head shaving. +1 on what @Slim1023 said about the Leaf razor for head shaving. I picked one up shortly after starting head shaving. It allows for up to three half DE blades and its design somewhat mimics a cartridge razor in the design of the head and pivoting. If shaving regularly, I can get a great shave with two passes. It is a bit tricky around the ears, as the head is on the larger size. Recently I've been head shaving with vintage Gillette Tech DE razors in order to improve my technique.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

I decided to try out a DE razor, bought a Mühle Companion on the recommendation of a local barber. It's supposed to be one of the milder razors around.

I tried shaving today, I got a wicked razor burn and a few nicks on the back of my head/neck. It's very difficult to shave back there! Everywhere else was smooth, but I'll need much more practice before I'm able to get a satisfactory shave. I probably got a little greedy for my first attempt since I wasn't getting a close enough shave and some areas I wasn't having much luck with so I did an ATG pass, that was probably not a great idea and one pass too many. Maybe I shouldn't expect to be able to get as close a shave as I can get with a cartridge for the time being and settle for a little stubble.

I find aggressive razors to be more effective on my head than mild ones. With the mild ones, the angle is less forgiving, and when my hand is blindly working behind my head, I often screw up the angle and the shave isn't so good. But with razors with a large gap, I have much better luck with the angle. My razors of choice: Alpha Outlaw and Haircut and Shave No75, and, for the first time this morning, the Blackland Vector. Smooth as smooth can be.

I either use a Panasonic Arc 5 electric razor, which can get close, or I'll use a HeadBlade if I want silky smooth. Usually takes a couple passes, then a few spots here and there, but it's a very nice and cheap razor.

My favorite so far has been the Razorock Mamba 53, quite mild and very forgiving. Great learning razor for head shaves. I also like the recommendations of the Leaf Razor, with 2 blades its insanely quick and painless.

Honestly, some of my most carefree head shave were with cartridge razors. Autopilot, BBS shaves using Gillette or Harrys...but where's the fun in that?

I've never used a DE razor to shave my head. I moved from carts to the Leaf multi-blade razor and got comparable shaves, though with a bit more work. It behaves very much like a cartridge razor.

After the Leaf, I've settled on using a Blackland Vector or Razorock Hawk Eco.

The Vector is a near no-brainer but still requires attention to avoid mishaps. The much more affordable Hawk Eco is more likely to punish bad technique but is capable of a shave equal to the Vector.

Top Bottom