What's new

I Just Ordered A Blackland Osprey Razor! ( My First Blackland Razor! )

The look of the Osprey is great. Weight and feel in the hand is superb. Unfortunately for me the result of the shave was not at the level of quality I would have expected. After 7 shaves I had to put it down and move along to a different razor.

In my opinion, the video review that Matt Pisarcik posted on YouTube was very open and unbiased. I know there are previous posters that disagree, but like it's often written in the shaving community...YMMV.

As a lot of you already know there is no single razor that everyone loves. We all have different expectations and experiences with our shaving hardware. I wish Backland all the best with the Osprey.

The look of the Osprey is great. Weight and feel in the hand is superb. Unfortunately for me the result of the shave was not at the level of quality I would have expected. After 7 shaves I had to put it down and move along to a different razor.

In my opinion, the video review that Matt Pisarcik posted on YouTube was very open and unbiased. I know there are previous posters that disagree, but like it's often written in the shaving community...YMMV.

As a lot of you already know there is no single razor that everyone loves. We all have different expectations and experiences with our shaving hardware. I wish Backland all the best with the Osprey.
Matt?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Covering this in a video this week. Keep an eye out on Weds/Thurs.

The short answer is that we like the finish and chose it. That may or may not have been the right call (as I’ll discuss in-video), but it was intentional. Additional finishes are in development now.

I can't wait to see the video Shane, I really fell in love with your Osprey razor, I am a big fan of what you do, and I hope that you never stop. I like watching your video's too, because they tend to be quite informative. I really enjoyed the building the Osprey series, it was quite excellent. Thanks Shane for keeping an eye on this thread, I appreciate it!

PS: I need to do more posts on my Osprey, but I am going through some personal issues right now, and until I can get things back to normal, the review updates stay in a pending state.

Covering this in a video this week. Keep an eye out on Weds/Thurs.

The short answer is that we like the finish and chose it. That may or may not have been the right call (as I’ll discuss in-video), but it was intentional. Additional finishes are in development now.
Thanks for the explanation and insight.

I can't wait to see the video Shane, I really fell in love with your Osprey razor, I am a big fan of what you do, and I hope that you never stop. I like watching your video's too, because they tend to be quite informative. I really enjoyed the building the Osprey series, it was quite excellent. Thanks Shane for keeping an eye on this thread, I appreciate it!

PS: I need to do more posts on my Osprey, but I am going through some personal issues right now, and until I can get things back to normal, the review updates stay in a pending state.

I appreciate you watching! Sorry for the lack of videos lately. Simply haven’t been allocating time to it, but we’ll be ramping the post frequency back up.

The 1st question you have to ask yourself is why would "he", of all people, be doing a review on a competitors product only to come to the conclusion its worse than his and has the gall to say he's being honest and unbiased!! I call BS!! What's in it for him if he does an honest unbiased review that 99% of people that have ordered an Osprey have given it a positive review? He's only doing it to put a spotlight on him and his problematic release of an adjustable that there are more people that have returned them than are actually using them!!

You really haven't been in this hobby for very long if you actually and truthfully think that review was open and unbiased!! In fact I'd go as far as to ask if you actually watched the video and wonder if you honestly aren't Matt with a new B&B user name!! That guy has proven himself to be one of the biggest shills in the industry in just 2 video's in 2 weeks and I still wonder how it is he actually has any customers? He's a cancer to this industry....

The 1st question you have to ask yourself is why would "he", of all people, be doing a review on a competitors product only to come to the conclusion its worse than his and has the gall to say he's being honest and unbiased!! I call BS!! What's in it for him if he does an honest unbiased review that 99% of people that have ordered an Osprey have given it a positive review? He's only doing it to put a spotlight on him and his problematic release of an adjustable that there are more people that have returned them than are actually using them!!

You really haven't been in this hobby for very long if you actually and truthfully think that review was open and unbiased!! In fact I'd go as far as to ask if you actually watched the video and wonder if you honestly aren't Matt with a new B&B user name!! That guy has proven himself to be one of the biggest shills in the industry in just 2 video's in 2 weeks and I still wonder how it is he actually has any customers? He's a cancer to this industry....
I've watched the video twice. No, I'm not Matt.

I respect your opinion.

repost:

THIRD USE OF THE OSPREY WITH A MILD BLADE
Today I used the MY-Blades Platinum blade, which are now available. The blade is a mild blade. I started at setting 4 on the Osprey and found that the shave wasn't getting the stubble. I increased to level 5 and the razor and the blade were great. The combo was very comfortable and smooth and yet very efficient. The Osprey worked flawlessly and I made a point of changing the setting wheel with wet foamy hands. I had no issue in doing so, so that is no longer an issue for me. The head is low enough in profile that I can easily get to the hard to reach areas. The weight and balance make the razor very easy to maneuver.
I did use a different blade and soap today to see if the shave experience would waiver. It did not. Another very good shave using the Osprey and a very good MY-Blades blade.
So far, after 3 shaves, the Osprey is doing very well. I will now stop using it for a few days and come back to it

Not saying the video was biased or unbiased, but my Rex Ambassador has so far out shined all of the other razors in my arsenal. Lots of latitude for how aggressive the shave can be. Smooth shaving, easy to clean, hefty, great grip, and fun to shave with. None of the newer razor offerings, including the Ambassador, are a quantum leap in shaveology. They are tools to hold a razor blade as it scrapes or slices across your whiskers. To me, it's all about the fun of the hobby and everyone is their own universe when it comes to razor quality and functionality. Can't afford an Osprey at this time, but who can say for sure down the road a bit.

Anybody else find it at least a little ironic that the guy who makes and sells the Ambassador takes a razor to his face, makes a sour look, and then says something like 'Wow, that's a little too blade-feels for me.'🤣🤣🤣

Oh, and I know Shane's too classy to do this, but it would be awesome for him to do a shave video with the Rex Ambassador, make a lot of faces like he just ate a sour cherry, and then say 'i gotta phone a friend,' and reach over and grab a shard of obsidian to finish the shave.

I have both the Ambassador and Osprey and have had nothing but excellent shaves to date from these well designed and fine looking razors. Not sure why Matt thought he had to air “dirty laundry” regarding his recent so called review of the Osprey, but after watching the clip, it reminded me of something right out of a SNL skit. Not a good look for sure!👎👎

I have both the Blackland Osprey and the Rex Ambassador. I like them both.

What I don’t like is the maker of one product making an uncomplimentary video regarding the product of the other. That is what the Ambassador bloke did. The video’s only purpose could be to denigrate the Osprey and compliment his own razors. That’s exactly what happened.

I consider it poor form indeed.

I have found the wet shaving community to blessed with a generosity of spirit which adds to the pleasure of the hobby. Matt’s video was alien to that. It denigrated a competitor’s product under the guise of giving an “unbiased” view. It was pointless to the extent of being risible. Unbiased? It could be nothing but biased despite his protestations to the contrary.

I will never buy another product from a company which thinks it can fool me like that.

I have both the Ambassador and Osprey and have had nothing but excellent shaves to date from these well designed and fine looking razors. Not sure why Matt thought he had to air “dirty laundry” regarding his recent so called review of the Osprey, but after watching the clip, it reminded me of something right out of a SNL skit. Not a good look for sure!👎👎
His video may have unintended consequences! Many people watch Matt's videos, and many of those are well seasoned shavers, who have mastered the art. The video had some weaknesses in the shaving portions, which may very well trigger a curiosity factor in many, who may want to try the Osprey out now. The controversy may actually help Blackland sales in the long run. After all, I didn't even know the Osprey existed until I saw that video. The Osprey is stunning, and looks to be well made, and reports are favorable regarding the Osprey from experienced posters. I'll have to wait for now as the price point is just a tad out of reach.

The video had some weaknesses in the shaving portions
Inquiring minds would like to know what these weaknesses were in your opinion... The first sign of weakness for me in the video was the title and that the video was made by a competitor!!
I didn't even know the Osprey existed until I saw that video.
For as long as you've been on the forum now and as active as you'd been lately I find this pretty amazing... It's been one of the hottest topics for months now on B&B.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hot Sauce Fire GIF by Pudgy Penguins
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF
Heat Wave Love GIF by Sexy Hair

Matt & Doug, are both two people from the same pod, just as awful, just as ugly. Both are not allowed to be vendors here, that should tell you something. Read up on all the juicy Reddit posts about both PAA and Emporium, and you will learn a wealth of information, that shows you, that despite many centuries of human evolution, there are still awful people in this world, and don't deserve your money.

Changing this to a different industry in your mind puts this whole thing into perspective.

Imagine if the CEO of Toyota made a review video of the latest Honda car.

He gets into the car, turns it on. 'Ok, let's give this a try in first gear.' Makes some faces. Looks out the passenger window. 'Nope, not going anywhere,' he says.

'Let's try second gear...' Pulls faces, looks out both windows. 'Not going anywhere!'

'I'm just going to put this into Drive and give it a real go.' Starts to drive down the street, with the car stuttering along, and the Toyota CEO pulling suspicious looking faces.

'I gotta be honest here,' he says as he stops the car, 'this is not a smooth ride.'

He then explains that he still needs to get to the grocery store, gets out of the Honda. 'Thankfully, I have my 1963 Volkswagen Beetle here, so I can get to my destination,' he says, as he fires up the Beetle and begins to drive it. 'See? You can see how much smoother a ride this car provides.'

He then finishes up the video by explaining that even the Camry, when he first produced it, wasn't perfect, but they tweaked it until it became the benchmark vehicle it is today. He says he respects Honda and thinks that, with time and refinement, the Accord might eventually be a fairly nice vehicle.

If a video like this were posted, does anybody think that the comments section would be full of 'thank you so much for your honest review of the Accord'? 🤣

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Changing this to a different industry in your mind puts this whole thing into perspective.

Imagine if the CEO of Toyota made a review video of the latest Honda car.

He gets into the car, turns it on. 'Ok, let's give this a try in first gear.' Makes some faces. Looks out the passenger window. 'Nope, not going anywhere,' he says.

'Let's try second gear...' Pulls faces, looks out both windows. 'Not going anywhere!'

'I'm just going to put this into Drive and give it a real go.' Starts to drive down the street, with the car stuttering along, and the Toyota CEO pulling suspicious looking faces.

'I gotta be honest here,' he says as he stops the car, 'this is not a smooth ride.'

He then explains that he still needs to get to the grocery store, gets out of the Honda. 'Thankfully, I have my 1963 Volkswagen Beetle here, so I can get to my destination,' he says, as he fires up the Beetle and begins to drive it. 'See? You can see how much smoother a ride this car provides.'

He then finishes up the video by explaining that even the Camry, when he first produced it, wasn't perfect, but they tweaked it until it became the benchmark vehicle it is today. He says he respects Honda and thinks that, with time and refinement, the Accord might eventually be a fairly nice vehicle.

If a video like this were posted, does anybody think that the comments section would be full of 'thank you so much for your honest review of the Accord'? 🤣
Funnily enough I thought of the same analogy as well, just with different car makers!

I feel that it would be comedy gold for an Saturday Night Live cold open!

Top Bottom