What's new

I Just Ordered A Blackland Osprey Razor! ( My First Blackland Razor! )

Hey there! If a complete stranger asked you to make a recommendation between the Tatara Muramasa and the Blackland Osprey, and this stranger gave you zero indication of their preferences in shaving experience, how would you answer? Thanks ;)
For the money, it would have to be the Osprey. The Muramasa is very nice, artistic, innovative, ete., etc.. It is short-handled, which may or may not be a big deal for any given individual. It's adjustment range is brutally narrow, to the degree where I would recommend a replated Slim or Fatboy first. It is not by any means "bad", but you can (IMO, YMMV) get the same shave from a classic Gillette at significantly less cost (~10X less).

The Osprey has a longer handle (which I like) and broader range in blade feel/exposure, which I greatly prefer. The greater adjustment range means it will be suitable to more shavers, all other factors being equal, e.g., if handle length & weight don't make a significant difference in your handling preference, and if you like the option of going pretty mild to pretty aggressive. Muramasa goes from lather-mover mild to modest blade feel.

@IdLatherShave , Had a look at your many excellent posts on adjustable razors such as the Rex, Rockwell T2 and new Blackland Osprey. The Osprey is definitely a beautiful razor that would be at home in a modern art museum display case in addition to anyone's shave den.

I saw your earlier posts regarding your preference for the SS T2 razors (before purchase of your Osprey). How would you compare your new Osprey and the T2 across dimensions such as adjustable setting range, ease of use, quality of shave etc. My interest is peaked because the T2 adjustment mechanism is similar to that used in the many vintage Gillette Adjustables from the 1950's to 1980's. My first razor was a Super Adjustable. Realize the biggest difference is that the T2 is a TTO versus the multi-piece Osprey.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker , your reviews are excellent, thorough and always enjoyable reading. I saw that you also own a vintage Gillette Fatboy adjustable and mentioned the Osprey is smoother. Any more details you can share on how these two razors compare similar to the question above. @walpan , if you have experience with the T2 or any vintage Gillette adjustables please pipe in.

A reason for my interest is that while I've stuck with high value razors to-date, since returning to DE shaving 4+ years ago, and still believe those make the most sense for me with non-adjustable razors we know that adjustable razors, especially TTO versions, are far more complex. The Blackland videos noted above on their Osprey journey did a great job of outlining the complexity of an adjustable. As a result the more precise engineering, with tighter tolerances, may provide enough additional benefit to justify an investment in a more premium razor. Curious to see how folks are realizing this type of benefit with these latest adjustables like the Osprey? Also are there other benefits to an adjustable razor, such as the Osprey, that make it worthwhile to give up TTO convenience?

@IdLatherShave , Had a look at your many excellent posts on adjustable razors such as the Rex, Rockwell T2 and new Blackland Osprey. The Osprey is definitely a beautiful razor that would be at home in a modern art museum display case in addition to anyone's shave den.

I saw your earlier posts regarding your preference for the SS T2 razors (before purchase of your Osprey). How would you compare your new Osprey and the T2 across dimensions such as adjustable setting range, ease of use, quality of shave etc. My interest is peaked because the T2 adjustment mechanism is similar to that used in the many vintage Gillette Adjustables from the 1950's to 1980's. My first razor was a Super Adjustable. Realize the biggest difference is that the T2 is a TTO versus the multi-piece Osprey.

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker , your reviews are excellent, thorough and always enjoyable reading. I saw that you also own a vintage Gillette Fatboy adjustable and mentioned the Osprey is smoother. Any more details you can share on how these two razors compare similar to the question above. @walpan , if you have experience with the T2 or any vintage Gillette adjustables please pipe in.

A reason for my interest is that while I've stuck with high value razors to-date, since returning to DE shaving 4+ years ago, and still believe those make the most sense for me with non-adjustable razors we know that adjustable razors, especially TTO versions, are far more complex. The Blackland videos noted above on their Osprey journey did a great job of outlining the complexity of an adjustable. As a result the more precise engineering, with tighter tolerances, may provide enough additional benefit to justify an investment in a more premium razor. Curious to see how folks are realizing this type of benefit with these latest adjustables like the Osprey? Also are there other benefits to an adjustable razor, such as the Osprey, that make it worthwhile to give up TTO convenience?
I own the T2SS razor. I do not own any vintage razors. The T2 is an excellent mild razor. Even at the top setting the razor acts mildly. It is a heavy razor but extremely well built. It is a razor that provides excellent shaves. That being said the Rex Konsul is a more comfortable and more efficient razor. It is a slant adjustable which might take a bit of getting use to.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker , your reviews are excellent, thorough and always enjoyable reading.

Thank you so much! I try to put in the effort if I am going to do a review, because I want to help other's make smart purchasing decisions, and want to try and make sure that they have all the facts, as well as my experience, from a customers perspective. I strongly feel that holds more water, then straight marketing advertisements.

I saw that you also own a vintage Gillette Fatboy adjustable and mentioned the Osprey is smoother. Any more details you can share on how these two razors compare similar to the question above.

That is correct! I purchased my 1959 Code E-3 Gillette Fatboy, from a gracious B&Ber, who was willing to sell me it. Please note, Fatboy's, also known as the 195 Adjustable from back in the day, don't come cheap on the used market, if they are in good condition like mine. 100% excellent condition Fatboy's with case and all materials, go for as much as a new Osprey on Ebay! Reconditioned Fatboys go for a little more then I paid as well.

While I feel that my Fatboy is most certainly a smooth shaving razor, shaves smoother then my Merkur Futur, and most certainly smoother then my Rex Ambassador, the Osprey is just even smoother still. You really can't beat a modern CNC'd made to tight tolerances, made out of stainless steel razor.

And you are correct, TTO mechanisms are cool and all, but you have to oil them once in awhile, or they will eventually lock up, from corrosion, or a bunch of gunk built up. I see posts once in awhile from people who own Fatboy's, asking how to clean them. Most folks state not to try and take them apart, because some require a special tool to do so, some were changed to prevent the use of the tool in the first place, and you might damage them.

The more mechanisms you have, the more that can go wrong. I personally appreciate engineering and mechanisms, because I am a mechanic. Having said that, I also know from experience, the more mechanisms you introduce into the mix, the more you need maintain. So as long as you keep up with the cleaning and lubrication regimen, the Fatboy is an excellent razor for sure!

The Osprey is still pretty new, I don't think anybody has owned their Osprey long enough to tell. Having said that however, I do believe the Osprey to be a simpler design, and simpler designs, tend to be the ones that last the longest. You said you watched the Osprey build video's? Well, then you know this as fact then, its a simpler design, all the adjustment is in the head only, no big TTO mechanisms, less to go wrong, less to worry about lubricating.

I figure once in awhile, I will give a couple drops of Wahl Clipper Oil, just to be sure, but even I think this is a more robust design. Stainless steel construction is obviously more durable as well. If you drop a Fatboy, your going to chip it somewhere, and possibly ruin the TTO mechanism, but if you drop the Osprey, its likely going to be able to take a hit and keep on going.

There is a slight weight difference between the two razors as well. I believe the Osprey weighs a little more then the Fatboy, I could be wrong. Also, unlike the Fatboy, you can actually customize the weight of the Osprey, by removing the brass insert in the handle, with a screwdriver. Removing the brass insert will make it head heavy, but will reduce the overall weight.

With the brass insert, the Osprey has an even weight distribution, and that is how I prefer to use it. I will say, the Fatboy has a gripper handle, due to the great knurling that it has. But to be honest, the carved out sides of the handle, offer a bit of grip, when your holding onto it. Although, I do worry that the polished version won't provide much grip. But I have the machined version, and I have plenty of grip with it.

Another part of where the Osprey wins out over the Fatboy, is because the Fatboy is a mild razor. Don't let setting 9 on the Fatboy fool you, it really isn't that all aggressive. But if you turn the Osprey up to setting 9, you better be ready, cause its aggressiveness will shave the rear off a Ryno. I just think the Osprey is designed much better, due to using modern CNC technology, and overall better construction.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the Osprey will be better for everybody, over that of the Fatboy, again YMMV. But for me however, the Osprey totally wins out against the Fatboy. And if the Osprey razor were made of Titanium, it would become my new holy grail. The only thing holding it back from holy grail position for me, is because its not made of Titanium.

Does such a thing matter for everyone? No! But for me, Titanium is the be all end all aloy. It literally lasts forever, and it will never suffer from corrosion or rust. Plus, Titanium in his inherent design, also cuts down on the weight, an even balance between aluminum and stainless steel or brass. Although in fairness, my Osprey is much lighter then my Merkur Futur, and thats saying something!

If you asked my final opinion on which you should buy? I'd say buy both! I own both, and I think its fun to have only 1 vintage razor that is highly regarded, and at least 1 modern razor that is also highly regarded. I love shaving with both of them. They are both fun to use in their own way. But if you asked which one wins out for me, the Osprey obviously wins out. Anyways, you got more then enough information to make a choice at this point.

Can't wait to see what you buy!

Thank you so much! I try to put in the effort if I am going to do a review, because I want to help other's make smart purchasing decisions, and want to try and make sure that they have all the facts, as well as my experience, from a customers perspective. I strongly feel that holds more water, then straight marketing advertisements.

That is correct! I purchased my 1959 Code E-3 Gillette Fatboy, from a gracious B&Ber, who was willing to sell me it. Please note, Fatboy's, also known as the 195 Adjustable from back in the day, don't come cheap on the used market, if they are in good condition like mine. 100% excellent condition Fatboy's with case and all materials, go for as much as a new Osprey on Ebay! Reconditioned Fatboys go for a little more then I paid as well.

While I feel that my Fatboy is most certainly a smooth shaving razor, shaves smoother then my Merkur Futur, and most certainly smoother then my Rex Ambassador, the Osprey is just even smoother still. You really can't beat a modern CNC'd made to tight tolerances, made out of stainless steel razor.

And you are correct, TTO mechanisms are cool and all, but you have to oil them once in awhile, or they will eventually lock up, from corrosion, or a bunch of gunk built up. I see posts once in awhile from people who own Fatboy's, asking how to clean them. Most folks state not to try and take them apart, because some require a special tool to do so, some were changed to prevent the use of the tool in the first place, and you might damage them.

The more mechanisms you have, the more that can go wrong. I personally appreciate engineering and mechanisms, because I am a mechanic. Having said that, I also know from experience, the more mechanisms you introduce into the mix, the more you need maintain. So as long as you keep up with the cleaning and lubrication regimen, the Fatboy is an excellent razor for sure!

The Osprey is still pretty new, I don't think anybody has owned their Osprey long enough to tell. Having said that however, I do believe the Osprey to be a simpler design, and simpler designs, tend to be the ones that last the longest. You said you watched the Osprey build video's? Well, then you know this as fact then, its a simpler design, all the adjustment is in the head only, no big TTO mechanisms, less to go wrong, less to worry about lubricating.

I figure once in awhile, I will give a couple drops of Wahl Clipper Oil, just to be sure, but even I think this is a more robust design. Stainless steel construction is obviously more durable as well. If you drop a Fatboy, your going to chip it somewhere, and possibly ruin the TTO mechanism, but if you drop the Osprey, its likely going to be able to take a hit and keep on going.

There is a slight weight difference between the two razors as well. I believe the Osprey weighs a little more then the Fatboy, I could be wrong. Also, unlike the Fatboy, you can actually customize the weight of the Osprey, by removing the brass insert in the handle, with a screwdriver. Removing the brass insert will make it head heavy, but will reduce the overall weight.

With the brass insert, the Osprey has an even weight distribution, and that is how I prefer to use it. I will say, the Fatboy has a gripper handle, due to the great knurling that it has. But to be honest, the carved out sides of the handle, offer a bit of grip, when your holding onto it. Although, I do worry that the polished version won't provide much grip. But I have the machined version, and I have plenty of grip with it.

Another part of where the Osprey wins out over the Fatboy, is because the Fatboy is a mild razor. Don't let setting 9 on the Fatboy fool you, it really isn't that all aggressive. But if you turn the Osprey up to setting 9, you better be ready, cause its aggressiveness will shave the rear off a Ryno. I just think the Osprey is designed much better, due to using modern CNC technology, and overall better construction.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the Osprey will be better for everybody, over that of the Fatboy, again YMMV. But for me however, the Osprey totally wins out against the Fatboy. And if the Osprey razor were made of Titanium, it would become my new holy grail. The only thing holding it back from holy grail position for me, is because its not made of Titanium.

Does such a thing matter for everyone? No! But for me, Titanium is the be all end all aloy. It literally lasts forever, and it will never suffer from corrosion or rust. Plus, Titanium in his inherent design, also cuts down on the weight, an even balance between aluminum and stainless steel or brass. Although in fairness, my Osprey is much lighter then my Merkur Futur, and thats saying something!

If you asked my final opinion on which you should buy? I'd say buy both! I own both, and I think its fun to have only 1 vintage razor that is highly regarded, and at least 1 modern razor that is also highly regarded. I love shaving with both of them. They are both fun to use in their own way. But if you asked which one wins out for me, the Osprey obviously wins out. Anyways, you got more then enough information to make a choice at this point.

Can't wait to see what you buy!
What angle do you find works best for your Osprey? Are you able to shave steep without issues, or is it more of a shallow-angle razor?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

What angle do you find works best for your Osprey? Are you able to shave steep without issues, or is it more of a shallow-angle razor?

Hello @RRGGMM good to see you!

Oddly enough, unlike some razors that only like 1-angle, the Osprey seems to work at all angles. Also, as you adjust the razor, both the gap, as well as the exposure gets adjusted, which naturally can effect your angle a little. But in general, I find.................

WTG passes, I am able to use a steep shaving angle at mid aggression, or a neutral angle. I wouldn't recommend a shallow angle towards the cap though, you might nick yourself.

XTG passes, It seems like a neutral angle is best here with mid aggression, although you could use a steep angle with higher aggression's. Don't use a shallow angle unless you use a mild aggression.

ATG passes, to prevent nicks, make sure you use a shallow angle, as in, ride the cap. This can technically work in all aggressions, but seems to work best using mid aggressions or bellow.

His video may have unintended consequences! Many people watch Matt's videos, and many of those are well seasoned shavers, who have mastered the art. The video had some weaknesses in the shaving portions, which may very well trigger a curiosity factor in many, who may want to try the Osprey out now. The controversy may actually help Blackland sales in the long run. After all, I didn't even know the Osprey existed until I saw that video. The Osprey is stunning, and looks to be well made, and reports are favorable regarding the Osprey from experienced posters. I'll have to wait for now as the price point is just a tad out of reach.
I literally bought the Osprey this week just to spite SE/Matt’s review…. Haha, what a “showman” that guy is. The funnier thing is the comments in Matt’s YouTube of his faithful cult followers, unreal. “Thank you Matt for protecting us!”

As to justify or prove his lack of bias, Matt had an entry in the YouTube comments that he’s somewhat immune to what the competitors do… he’ll still “sell thousands and thousands” of Rex razors.

Fact is this, if the Osprey was truly an inferior product to his he wouldn’t have needed to post that review of it. He made the video cuz he knows he’s been bested. Maybe he won’t suffer financially from the impact of the Osprey, but his ego has been hurt.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I literally bought the Osprey this week just to spite SE/Matt’s review

Congratulations dude, I can't wait to see your pictures, as well as hear your thoughts on the razor after you get it!

Haha, what a “showman” that guy is. The funnier thing is the comments in Matt’s YouTube of his faithful cult followers, unreal. “Thank you Matt for protecting us!”

Yep, the bigger they squawk, the less believable they become. Matt praises himself as the all time authority on vintage razors, all while stealing your family heirloom razors for a restore job, and waiting 4-months for you to complain about it, acting like he knows nothing about it, then later sends you a razor back that isn't the family heirloom razor. I wouldn't trust the guy with a 100 foot pole.

Matt had an entry in the YouTube comments that he’s somewhat immune to what the competitors do

HAHA, thats so funny, great if it were true. But Matt is not immune to what other competitors do. He balances his restore service jobs, with the selling of his razors, in order to make ends meat. He's very scared, which is why he's squawking louder then usual, because he knows he was about to start losing business, and his profits would dip. Again, squawkers have a lot to say, just got to listen close to read the hidden details.

Fact is this, if the Osprey was truly an inferior product to his he wouldn’t have needed to post that review of it. He made the video cuz he knows he’s been bested. Maybe he won’t suffer financially from the impact of the Osprey, but his ego has been hurt.

That right there pretty much sums it up! If the Osprey was an inferior product, Matt wouldn't have felt any need to talk smack about it, he would have just instead had a smug look on his face, watching all the people run over to him. But alas, that is not what has been going on. Instead, people are going over to Shane, pleading him to make Osprey's faster, and infact, even bring out the titanium version.

Yes, Matt has a big ego to bruise, and it bruises easily. Matt is just going to have to get used to the fact there there is a new player in town. Matt didn't say a darn thing about Blackland when all they had were 3-piece razors. But as soon as Shane came out with their first adjustable razor, Matt took great offense, that he had to try anything to squash the competition, no matter how dirty he had to be.

Sad that there are people like Matt in this world, there the kind of folks who are bad leaders, and you can't depend on them. I would trust Shane any day over Matt, and thats the honest truth. Again, can't wait for your post on your Osprey with pictures, it will be a happy day for you indeed.

I have an Osprey on order, and am looking forward to its arrival. I own a titanium Muramasa, so I can compare them when the Osprey arrives. I do like the Muramasa and can get good shave from it, but I am hoping that the Osprey will be the Holy Grail for me. I have moved to more aggressive razors after getting the Muramasa, and currently the Razorock Lupo .95 is the one to beat. On a good day I can get a close-enough-to-BBS from the Lupo with nearly no alum feedback. I know I should just use the Lupo and be happy, but my OCD won’t allow it.
Jack

Top Bottom