What's new

Enjoy Lupo, but not GameChanger?

I'm curious if there are any of you who really enjoy the RR Lupo, but who did not enjoy the RR GameChanger?

I have the GameChanger 68 SB, 84 SB, and 68 OC. I've tried each at least half a dozen times, rotating between Astra, BIC, and Feather blades. I can get a somewhat comfortable shave if I use a steep angle, and don't try to go ATG. But the end result is always not every close, with some irritation in my trouble spots.

I also have a Rockwell 6S. I've been using the 6 plate lately and the results are a closer shave with less irritation than any of the GC heads. Against the grain is still a little painful, so I avoid that.

I had purchased the Razorock Mission (aka Maggard "V3", aka Stirling "Standard") for my son a while back and I borrowed it to try. I was surprised at how far out the blade was, since it was advertised as a "Mild" razor. On the first pass I immediately enjoyed the feel and sound of the blade. I could really tell it was working, and yet it felt comfortable. After the first pass, I had a closer shave than I normally do after two. After the second pass I felt like I could be done, but did a 3rd anyway, even trying ATG in a few spots with minimal discomfort.

I was very impressed that this $10 head gave me such a close and comfortable shave. The only down side is that it took nearly 5 minutes to get the blade aligned properly. There's at least 1mm of play in every direction, and it likes to shift as you tighten it.

All that to say, I think I have a strong preference for razors with a positive blade exposure. But (in my admittedly limited experience) I think I also prefer razors that have more bend in the blade. With the Lupo holding the blade relatively flat, I worry that it'll be fairly uncomfortable, like the GC for me.

I'm eyeing the Yates 921-H, and Blackbird also, just at 2x and 3x the price I'd like to consider other options first. There's also the Green Cult 2.0, Muhle Rocca, and EJ 3one6 but thoes are getting close to Yates in price and don't seem as good a value.

I've asked similar questions in other threads, and thanks for everyone who's responded, but I thought I'd start my own so I stop going off-topic on other peoples threads! 😅

Iridian

Cool and slimy
So you try to figure out if not getting along with the Game Changer means you are likely to like the Lupo? :)

I like both, my favorite would be the Lupo .95 OC, the Game Changer .84P is just too mild for me and the OC version can be harsh, the JAWS is like a wicked OC and similar, it once removed a patch of skin at the corner of my chin. But I find nothing wrong with the GC .84, and there is the new 1.05 as well by now. Just haven't tried it yet. Lupo and GC definitely feel differently when shaving. So there is indeed a chance you prefer the Lupos.

What I like even more than the Lupo .95 is the Yaqi Vostok 1.05 DC (dual comb). It is basically like the Lupo DC, but with 1.05 gap on both sides. It is one of my favorite razors by now.

My Lupo DC and Game Changer .68 failed to impress my neighbor. The Lupo was rated as "rough", the Game Changer as "ineffective". The likes the Rockwell 6C, no idea which plate he is using by now.

The Blackbird is expensive, but also very likely to give you a good shave. Though I have other favorites, it is a forum favorite for good reason, though. I would take both plates or start with the SB.

Rocca and 3ONE6 are permutations of the very same core design, with the 3ONE6 having a differently feeling safety bar and overall more traditional design. Shaving wise they are solid, they have no major flaws or weaknesses, this makes them reliable if one wants to put it positively or just average and failing to impress, if one wants to argue from the other side.

Green Cult 2.0: I only tried the GC 1.0 and the 2.0 with plate IV. I simply don't dig the new bead blast finish and outright hate the fat heavy handle, shaving wise it is very fine, and the lower plates are probably not quite as vicious.

Yates is superb if you like to shave steep. H plate would be my recommendation for you based on your reports.

I like RazoRock for the price, quality, and materials. When I tried the Yates 921 on a passaround, I immediately knew I found my desert island DE razor. It might be ugly, but it is my favorite. Personally, I prefer the M on the face, H on the dome; but I also use the H for the face when I am too lazy to change plates halfway through. Great efficiency and comfort.

If irritation is a problem for you, the Blackbird might be harder to adjust to. It is an excellent razor, and I use it frequently.

The Rocca and 3one6 are often compared to each other. You might enjoy the Rocca more as I found it smoother than the 3one6. For the life of me, I couldn't get the Rocca to shave along my jawline. The 3one6 is still in my rotation, but not as favored as the Yates and Blackbird.

What tops all of those for me, though, is the Blackland Vector. But that is a different thread :)

So you try to figure out if not getting along with the Game Changer means you are likely to like the Lupo? :)

I like both, my favorite would be the Lupo .95 OC, the Game Changer .84P is just too mild for me and the OC version can be harsh, the JAWS is like a wicked OC and similar, it once removed a patch of skin at the corner of my chin. But I find nothing wrong with the GC .84, and there is the new 1.05 as well by now. Just haven't tried it yet. Lupo and GC definitely feel differently when shaving. So there is indeed a chance you prefer the Lupos.

What I like even more than the Lupo .95 is the Yaqi Vostok 1.05 DC (dual comb). It is basically like the Lupo DC, but with 1.05 gap on both sides. It is one of my favorite razors by now.

My Lupo DC and Game Changer .68 failed to impress my neighbor. The Lupo was rated as "rough", the Game Changer as "ineffective". The likes the Rockwell 6C, no idea which plate he is using by now.

The Blackbird is expensive, but also very likely to give you a good shave. Though I have other favorites, it is a forum favorite for good reason, though. I would take both plates or start with the SB.

Rocca and 3ONE6 are permutations of the very same core design, with the 3ONE6 having a differently feeling safety bar and overall more traditional design. Shaving wise they are solid, they have no major flaws or weaknesses, this makes them reliable if one wants to put it positively or just average and failing to impress, if one wants to argue from the other side.

Green Cult 2.0: I only tried the GC 1.0 and the 2.0 with plate IV. I simply don't dig the new bead blast finish and outright hate the fat heavy handle, shaving wise it is very fine, and the lower plates are probably not quite as vicious.

Yates is superb if you like to shave steep. H plate would be my recommendation for you based on your reports.
I agree with what you said...I love Lupo 95 because it's more efficient and you can feel the blade on the GC84 no! I can use it every day, but I don't find the GC84 open bad, in fact for me it's a little better than the Sb version
Yates is fantastic, the H plate isn't super efficient for me but it works well I'm for the EH
But those are personal tastes 🙌

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Mr_Konrad_Dundee Yeah, some people unfortunately don't share my excellent taste, but such is life! ;)

I have the EH plate, still find it not overly aggressive, so would not mind EH-OC, but in general Razorock and Yates rather aim at the large middle of the bell curve that is acceptable for most and milder razors for people switching from cartridges.
The Game Changer .84 OC is indeed more effective than the SB, but between it and the Lupo .95 OC, the Lupo wins for me as well.

I bet you would like the Yaqi Harlequin. Supposedly based on a vintage Gillette, but I was not aware that Gillette made such blade forward razors. I have no vintage Gillettes at home, so I could be wrong. Whatever, if you like the Lupo .95, the Vostok copy and even more so the Harlequin might work out nicely for you, too.

You say that Yaqi Harlequin I might like it?! Yes I am for razors with blade feel "I love it"
I'll take a look on Aliexpress 👍
I tried the plate H hybrid, it doesn't increase the efficiency much even the feel of the blade... so I don't know how an EH oc behaves

@Blade5082 I haven't read the other threads, but it sounds more like a technique issue than a razor issue. If those base plates are "P" plates, e.g. if the 84 SB plate has something like "GC84-P" on its bottom, then they're positive exposure plates.

With a positive exposure razor, to find an angle to keep, regardless of how much of a bend is imparted to the blade, I'd suggest this procedure:
- Put the razor to the face top cap first with the handle perpendicular to the skin.
- Keep lowering (or raising) the handle until you can see lather and hair vanishing. Note that you might not feel the blade much, despite the positive exposure.
- You don't need to lift the razor after every stroke, just slide it back a little (say, a quarter of a stroke). Not lifting it should allow you to keep performing small adjustments to the angle as you'd follow skin contours.

geofatboy demoes it here nicely:

For round facial features (like, say, a pointy chin), you can do the same, but start with the guard on the skin and the handle parallel with the skin. It'll be less efficient, but should help prevent the blade from running into the skin in a "bend".

I'd also suggest testing whether you'd mounted the blade well into the Game Changer heads by performing a nail test - basically, see if you can make the blade edge budge with your fingernail (similar motion as if you were trying to strum the blade with a nail). The blade shouldn't really budge much, if at all.

I have most of RR line up. Lupo and Game Changer are in certainly my rotation.
I also too prefer a little blade feel.
Now I like both the Lupo & G C, if not they would not be in there.
For me it depends on the job. Right tool for the job.
I can go ATG with all them, if you can't, think about way.
Lupo versus Game Change, different specs and design so yes it really becomes a personal preference.
Soon, I will be grabbing the RR GC 105 to try..
Lupo, love the 72 & 95 OC.
G.C. 68 OC for light stubble, 76p light more growth, couple days 84 sb or oc.
Again, I just have fun selecting the right tool for the right job.
Slants are in there too, they do a better job of keeping the stubble away longer ( for me - YMMV).
All in all, I usually great a great shaves w/ 2 passes plus ( minor touch ups around the pie hole) for the pack.
Never any irritation due to a little skill, constant consistency, prep, during shave best practices, and post shave process - face management protector, conditioning, repair and recovery...
Remember, other people have to look at that face!
Cheers
BFX

I have the Game Changer .84P and .68P, as well as the Lupo .95OC and the .72SB.
For my shaving style, I prefer the Game Changers. For me, there's no special angle to maintain, the GCs just work.
I've gotten good shaves with both the GCs and Lupos, but as my skin gets older and not as tough, the GCs are easier and less risky to use.

Appreciate the feedback. I would agree with your neighbor that the game changer feels "ineffective" for me.

I don't mind the look of the green cult and if the shave is more blade forward I think would like it.

Seems like everyone likes the yates 921. Should probably just go with that... :)

@Blade5082 I haven't read the other threads, but it sounds more like a technique issue than a razor issue. If those base plates are "P" plates, e.g. if the 84 SB plate has something like "GC84-P" on its bottom, then they're positive exposure plates.

With a positive exposure razor, to find an angle to keep, regardless of how much of a bend is imparted to the blade, I'd suggest this procedure:
- Put the razor to the face top cap first with the handle perpendicular to the skin.
- Keep lowering (or raising) the handle until you can see lather and hair vanishing. Note that you might not feel the blade much, despite the positive exposure.
- You don't need to lift the razor after every stroke, just slide it back a little (say, a quarter of a stroke). Not lifting it should allow you to keep performing small adjustments to the angle as you'd follow skin contours.

geofatboy demoes it here nicely:

For round facial features (like, say, a pointy chin), you can do the same, but start with the guard on the skin and the handle parallel with the skin. It'll be less efficient, but should help prevent the blade from running into the skin in a "bend".

I'd also suggest testing whether you'd mounted the blade well into the Game Changer heads by performing a nail test - basically, see if you can make the blade edge budge with your fingernail (similar motion as if you were trying to strum the blade with a nail). The blade shouldn't really budge much, if at all.
I am fairly new to DE wet shaving, so I'm sure my technique could be improved. I'll give the game changer a few more tries.

That said, I get a pretty good shave with the Razorock Mission, as well as the Mentor. Both have a steeper blade angle and a more positive blade exposure. So, I'm inclined to think that the game changer's geometry just isn't for me. 🤷‍♂️

I'm in the final stages of playing with steep angle shaving ATG in specific sections using my GC .76-P base plate - this on the advice of @never-stop-learning.

Results have been remarkably similar to the ATG champ - the Karve Overlander. If this interests you you can read about it in the BORG thread.

... Thom
I gravitated to a steep angle right away -- shallow angles tend to be fairly uncomfortable, and seem less effective for me.

I prefer the Lupo 95 SB or OC over the GC and I have every plate version of the gamechanger except the mildest one. The new 1.05 is probably my favorite but sometimes when I'm using the the Lupo 95, I feel like they made that razor especially for Sweeney. The blade loading, the thin head, beveled corners, nimble, intuitive, efficient, just enough blade feel and works well shaving steep.
It's all personal preference.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm curious if there are any of you who really enjoy the RR Lupo, but who did not enjoy the RR GameChanger?

I have the GameChanger 68 SB, 84 SB, and 68 OC. I've tried each at least half a dozen times, rotating between Astra, BIC, and Feather blades. I can get a somewhat comfortable shave if I use a steep angle, and don't try to go ATG. But the end result is always not every close, with some irritation in my trouble spots.

I also have a Rockwell 6S. I've been using the 6 plate lately and the results are a closer shave with less irritation than any of the GC heads. Against the grain is still a little painful, so I avoid that.

I had purchased the Razorock Mission (aka Maggard "V3", aka Stirling "Standard") for my son a while back and I borrowed it to try. I was surprised at how far out the blade was, since it was advertised as a "Mild" razor. On the first pass I immediately enjoyed the feel and sound of the blade. I could really tell it was working, and yet it felt comfortable. After the first pass, I had a closer shave than I normally do after two. After the second pass I felt like I could be done, but did a 3rd anyway, even trying ATG in a few spots with minimal discomfort.

I was very impressed that this $10 head gave me such a close and comfortable shave. The only down side is that it took nearly 5 minutes to get the blade aligned properly. There's at least 1mm of play in every direction, and it likes to shift as you tighten it.

All that to say, I think I have a strong preference for razors with a positive blade exposure. But (in my admittedly limited experience) I think I also prefer razors that have more bend in the blade. With the Lupo holding the blade relatively flat, I worry that it'll be fairly uncomfortable, like the GC for me.

I'm eyeing the Yates 921-H, and Blackbird also, just at 2x and 3x the price I'd like to consider other options first. There's also the Green Cult 2.0, Muhle Rocca, and EJ 3one6 but thoes are getting close to Yates in price and don't seem as good a value.

I've asked similar questions in other threads, and thanks for everyone who's responded, but I thought I'd start my own so I stop going off-topic on other peoples threads! 😅
I have both RR GC.84 and a RR Lupo.72 and both are great razors, I enjoy the Lupo.72 a little more but what I do to the RR GC.84 is just use a Kai SS extra wide blade and it shaves very similar to the Lupo.72 razor. The Kai SS is slightly wider than a Gillette standard blade and gives a little bump up in efficentcy and aggression. Some folks like a little blade feel and it is a wonderful blade in the RR GC if that is what you like. It is a little pricier a blade than others but it has excellent longevity and I will always have a tuck or 2 of them around in my shave den for my milder razors that I have accumulated over the years when I first got into traditional wet shaving.
Kai SS VS Gillette Astra SP 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I prefer the Lupo 95 SB or OC over the GC and I have every plate version of the gamechanger except the mildest one. The new 1.05 is probably my favorite but sometimes when I'm using the the Lupo 95, I feel like they made that razor especially for Sweeney. The blade loading, the thin head, beveled corners, nimble, intuitive, efficient, just enough blade feel and works well shaving steep.
It's all personal preference.
I may just have to give it a try. The price is certainly right...

I have both RR GC.84 and a RR Lupo.72 and both are great razors, I enjoy the Lupo.72 a little more but what I do to the RR GC.84 is just use a Kai SS extra wide blade and it shaves very similar to the Lupo.72 razor. The Kai SS is slightly wider than a Gillette standard blade and gives a little bump up in efficentcy and aggression. Some folks like a little blade feel and it is a wonderful blade in the RR GC if that is what you like. It is a little pricier a blade than others but it has excellent longevity and I will always have a tuck or 2 of them around in my shave den for my milder razors that I have accumulated over the years when I was first got into traditional wet shaving.
View attachment 1729219
Have some great shaves!
I actually have a tuck of Kai blades that I haven't tried yet. I'll try them next!

Top Bottom