What's new

What soap should I add for summer?

I am currently using three soaps;
Tabac
Mitchell's Wool Fat
AOS Sandalwood (tallow made by Valobra)

Love what I have but want to increase my variety of classic soaps and fragrances.
I've been looking at two soaps for summer:
D. R. Harris Arlington
Pré de Provence

What are your thoughts?
One better for summer than the other?
One more different than the soaps I have?
One is a poor latherer?
One has a poor fragrance?

Not a life or death decision, in three months I'll probably get the other one as well.
Before I kill my SAD I hope 8-10 great hard soaps will be in my den!

Thanks,
Curt

I haven't used Pdp. But when I saw your post subject I was clicking to recommend Arlington, and it winds up being one of your options. Sounds perfect to me.

You could also go for a nice menthol soap. I find a cold water shave with Proraso Green is quite nice during the heat of July and August. I also tend to favor citrus scents such as grapefruit or limes. TOBS Grapefruit or Avocado are nice creams. Godrej Deluxe Lime has lanolin if you are still looking for some skin moisturizing properties in the summer as well and is a great value to boot.

Barrister and Mann's Lime, Lavender and Cedarwood comes highly recommended, and I have got myself some for over the summer months

Both those soaps are great choices. I would give the nod to Arlington because of the fresh citrus and fern scent. The PdP reminds me more of Spring due to the floral scent. Another good option in the summer is Proraso Green due to the menthol.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've not shaved with PdP, but I love my Arlington. It is a very refreshing scent, so I'm looking forward to it over the Summer.

All that said, I'll echo the nods to B&M Lime, Lavender, and Cedarwood, as well as for a mentholated soap or cream. I've used Catie's Bubbles Herbe Glace and Queen Charlotte's Iced Key Lime and they both have a wonderful feel. I've heard nothing but good about Stirling's mentholated soaps (and I know, first hand, that his mentholated AS splashes are fantastic).

Barrister and Mann's Lime, Lavender and Cedarwood comes highly recommended, and I have got myself some for over the summer months

+1 however this is not a hard soap. DRH Arlington is a great choice too; PdP is a solid soap, and the scent is very "herby" if you like that sort of thing (think rosemary, sage). Mystic Waters' "Irish Traveller" is a great performer with a pretty faithful recreation of Creed's Green Irish Tweed for a scent (again, not a hard soap). My last recommendation is for a hard soap: Saponifico Varesino's Felce Aromatica. Its an artisan-made hard soap with a fantastic bright, green fragrance. If you are dead set on a hard soap I would recommend Felce Aromatica (or any Saponifico Varesino, for that matter) over any other hard soap - D.R. Harris included.

I would also take a look at Soap Commander Motivation. It's a vegan based soap, cucumber and bamboo scented. Very airy and refreshing.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Maggard's Limes and Bergamot, Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge (lavender mint), Simpsons vanilla rose (though it is a cream), MdC fougere or original.

Cheers, Steve

$qcs vostok joris ems rosewood stirling margarita arctic amouage reflection december 14 2014.jpg

$soapy bathman plisson filarmonica 12 ogallala bay rum sep 1 2014.jpg

$feather rudy vey penhaligon bayolea october 29 2014.jpg

I was going to suggest Cade or Arlington, so....
The soap I am using now is Valobra Menthol. I like it now that the weather has really warmed up here. The mild cooling is nice for summertime.

Top Bottom