What's new

What are you recommended first 3 artisanal soaps for a newbie?

I'm just entering the world of proper wet shaving after nearly 30 years of struggling with cartridge razors.
I'm looking to acquire a small selection of high quality soaps to get me started, something that will offer a good variety of scents.
I live in a hot and humid climate, so on the lighter/fresher side.
I think I'd like to include one Saponificio Varesino, maybe the 70th Ann. and maybe another two or three classic, "must own" scents from other artisanal brands. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I too live in a hot and humid climate, and my favorite soap maker is Mike's Natural Soaps. Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper is my all-time favorite scent. Peppermint and Rosemary is great during the summer, very refreshing. Hungarian Lavender is a classic.

As a few others have mentioned, Stirling is great. I like their Barbershop.

I'm just entering the world of proper wet shaving after nearly 30 years of struggling with cartridge razors.
I'm looking to acquire a small selection of high quality soaps to get me started, something that will offer a good variety of scents.
I live in a hot and humid climate, so on the lighter/fresher side.
I think I'd like to include one Saponificio Varesino, maybe the 70th Ann. and maybe another two or three classic, "must own" scents from other artisanal brands. Any suggestions would be appreciated
I don't know where are you located, but usually local artisans from your country are as good are better than much sounder (and more expensive) names frequently named here on forum.

I do not know if you are mostly interested in getting soaps with a good base or with a good scent. I think that a lot of bases are really good right now on the market, to the point where I struggle finding how different they are. Now I also think there are not so many good scents out there, at least for my taste.

Concerning SV, 70 is the only scent I like from them, and they have a good base. Plus it is a vegan soap which is nice. If I had to pick two other soap it would probably be waves by barrister and mann (a good base coupled to my favorite scent in shaving soaps), and something by PAA like cad.

If you’re in America, Maggards has cheap samples of many artisan soaps. Stirling soaps does samples too.

I’m a new DE shaver as well and have amassed quite a number of samples already. I tried to get at least 2 or 3 from each brand. I’ve smelled them all but have yet to shave with all of them.
Of everything I’ve tried so far, my 2 favorites that will likely result in full jars are:

Barrister & Mann: Seville
Martin De Candre: Agrumes

Both are bright, fresh scents and both have wonderful performance.

I also blind bought a full jar of Mike’s Natural Soaps: Lime and it smells like straight up limes, but I haven’t used it yet. I’m sure it’ll preform well.

But if I’m being honest… The first 2 soaps I bought when I started were Proraso (green) and Cella (red), and they’re probably still my favorites.
On the fresh side, it’s hard to imagine a soap being more invigorating than Proraso green.

If you’re in America, Maggards has cheap samples of many artisan soaps. Stirling soaps does samples too.

This. If at all possible try to find samples of many brands first. Figure out what you like then order full tubs. At this stage, I'd say only buy a tub of if you're absolutely set on trying the brand but can't get samples. Best of luck in your search.

You don't need spend a ton to get a nice soap.

Stirling make a great soap for around 15 bucks for a tub. You can order a sample pack from their large selection of scents.

Razorock offers a nice soap in a variety of scents, and can be had for $10 on sale at Italian Barber. One of my favorites is xXx.

If you want to spend a bit more, MdC is also a nice soap, and lasts a loooong time. I've got all five of their scents, and really like them all. Agrumes is a light citrus, and a great summer scent. Fougere is a clean, fresh (green?) scent. Vetyver is earthy but very nice. Original is described as lavender, mint, and rosemary. Very nice. Rose is...rose. You really can't go wrong with any of the MdC scents, they are very well done. Of course, a single 200g jar will set you back 55-70 bucks, depending where you shop. They also offer a 50g jar for less, but the 200g jar is a better value (less $ per gram) You can also buy small samples from Maggard's before committing to a full jar.

But if I’m being honest… The first 2 soaps I bought when I started were Proraso (green) and Cella (red), and they’re probably still my favorites.
On the fresh side, it’s hard to imagine a soap being more invigorating than Proraso green.
I agree.

My rule of thumb is that if a soap or cream has been on sale and is still popular after 60-100 years then it is a must for any bathroom.

The classics have stood the test of time and are still mainstays. They tend to be reasonably priced as well.

Palmolive cream, arko! Haslinger, Ach Brito Musgo, Speick and Tabac also spring to mind.

Unsure if 'artisan' adds to anything really. It's a modern marketing hook term IMO.

The only small batch 'artisan soap I use comes from a small producer in Hampshire, England. Magnificent stuff and with a small but dedicated following here. I like how she is not pushy in advertising. Thats the 'artisan' maker I appreciate.

Home | Dr. R. Tantra - https://rtantra7.wixsite.com/rtantrasoaps

Last edited:
You don't need spend a ton to get a nice soap.

Stirling make a great soap for around 15 bucks for a tub. You can order a sample pack from their large selection of scents.

Razorock offers a nice soap in a variety of scents, and can be had for $10 on sale at Italian Barber. One of my favorites is xXx.

If you want to spend a bit more, MdC is also a nice soap, and lasts a loooong time. I've got all five of their scents, and really like them all. Agrumes is a light citrus, and a great summer scent. Fougere is a clean, fresh (green?) scent. Vetyver is earthy but very nice. Original is described as lavender, mint, and rosemary. Very nice. Rose is...rose. You really can't go wrong with any of the MdC scents, they are very well done. Of course, a single 200g jar will set you back 55-70 bucks, depending where you shop. They also offer a 50g jar for less, but the 200g jar is a better value (less $ per gram) You can also buy small samples from Maggard's before committing to a full jar.
I can get MdC here but not samples unfortunately. Pretty pricey though, maybe at some point in the future I'll give it a try

I agree.

My rule of thumb is that if a soap or cream has been on sale and is still popular after 60-100 years then it is a must for any bathroom.

The classics have stood the test of time and are still mainstays. They tend to be reasonably priced as well.

Palmolive cream, arko! Haslinger, Ach Brito Musgo, Speick and Tabac also spring to mind.

Unsure if 'artisan' adds to anything really. It's a modern marketing hook term IMO.

The only small batch 'artisan soap I use comes from a small producer in Hampshire, England. Magnificent stuff and with a small but dedicated following here. I like how she is not pushy in advertising. Thats the 'artisan' maker I appreciate.

Home | Dr. R. Tantra - https://rtantra7.wixsite.com/rtantrasoaps
Next time I'm in the UK I must remember to pick some up. My sister lives close by in Dorset

Some soaps that I've enjoyed that seem to fit the hot/humid climate:

TOBS - Jermyn Street or Peppermint
Chiseled Face - Cryogen (super cooling menthol)
Proraso - Green or Blue

Going to echo Stirling Soap sample packs. Their samples are bigger than most out there and they last about two weeks of three pass shaves for me. Great way to try some different scents you think you might like.

Top Bottom