What's new

What are you recommended first 3 artisanal soaps for a newbie?

Stirling is a good choice because of price point. Razorock even better.

But I have to echo the same sentiments regarding price/quality of these artisan soaps. Aside from a nice variety of scents many of them offer, is the quality really that much better?

RazoRock
Haslinger
Stirling
Barrister & Mann
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements
Fine
Seaforth
Saponificio Varesino
Martin de Candre

All offer outstanding hand-made artisan soaps.

Edit: Sorry, you were asking for 3. I'd start with RazoRock and Stirling, which would probably be the most economical, but have a wide variety of great scents from which to choose. Saponificio Varesino and Martin de Candre are considered "luxury brands" and are pretty pricey up front, but have outstanding scents and last forever, so the cost per shave is actually pretty reasonable. My third would be something from one of those brands if I could swing it. Having said that, don't fall into the trap of thinking more expensive is "better", because often that's not the case, and as I said, all of these make some great soaps.

Last edited:
RazoRock Plague Doctor. Bought as a lark for the label when covid started. It's a great performing soap. Easy to face-lather with any of my badger and synth brushes, so I stocked up. Only downside is that the scent is soap-ish, and I did not like the aftershave.

Captain's Choice. A longtime fan since their early days. I've been using CC soaps and aftershaves since 2011.

Stirling. I prefer buying samples and/or refills, using the empty tubs they sell. Bath soaps are also good.

I came here to "second" some soaps mentioned already. Martin de Candre is probably one of my all time favorites. Proraso Blue is nice for cold months and Green for warm months. Cella is a great soap to start with or use forever really if you like the scent. I have tried B&M, A&E, Zingari Mann, Noble Otter, Stirling and they are top notch soaps for sure, but the fragrances of many of them are out there. I like the simple fragrances of soap mostly. Have fun and try what you want. Try not to buy too much, but you most likely will as I have!!!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I can get MdC here but not samples unfortunately. Pretty pricey though, maybe at some point in the future I'll give it a try
FYI: MdC lasts twice as long as many other soaps - three times as long as some, so be sure to figure that in your pricing.

Based on the OP's specific query (3 artisan soaps; light/fresh scent for a hot, humid climate), I would recommend:

• Stirling Ozark Mountain
  • Fitjar Islands Folgefonn
  • Rex Shaving Co 1955
For non-artisan, I would without hesitation recommend the reasonably priced Ach Brito Mogno.

Stirling(Get a few samples of different products for future reference... they are extremely generous with their samples!)

Barrister and Mann

Zingari Man(Saying this cause some of their recent releases are super crowd pleasing, and I think they have some of the best aftershave balm/splash when it comes to artisans.)

I just ordered this.... luv Bay Rum as cologne, After-shave. Makes me feel I'm still in the Caribbean. my first Barrister & Mann, really looking forward to trying it. ($20.53) Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 16.18.51.jpg

Shannon's Soaps Aussie Ice - spearmint with a nice amount of menthol. Lavender Lemongrass gets an honorable mention.

Stirling Eucalyptus Mint - there are tons of summer scents offered by Stirling, but this one seems to get missed and does NOT contain menthol. It is heavy on Eucalyptus.

Zingari Man Socialite - pretty cold & smells like gin, otherwise Sego is my favorite base of these 3.

Don't overlook mass production as several have suggested - Proraso Green would be my staple in your environment. Enjoy the journey!

Boom here you are

Go for one of these shaving soaps

1) Stirling West Indies Lime or Island Man
2) Captain's Choice Lime or Venture
3) Barrister and Mann Lime or Seville

I tried to get Martin de Candre here in China, no luck yet. I ordered/received a Truefitt Hill 1805. I had worn their cologne before and was favorably impressed. I like that it has its old English history and is even supposedly enjoyed by the British monarchy. Large puck (150g), I feel it would be hard to beat. The scent is rich, deep. No real high notes so it will not overwhelm itself, but deep, rich Middle-notes. I like it, YMMV. Not cheap, ($20?) but if you consider how many shaves, 200-300?, then the cost is negligible. Easy to lather- rich, thick, creamy, and provides one of the smoothest shaves I can imagine. Give it a try.

tempImageKHZ8bI.png

Top Bottom