What's new

Which one of these soaps should i get?

Sorry, did not mean to offend on the CRS creams. I like to joke around sometimes. Performance is good, scents it depends.
😄😅
No, but you're joking... no offense! Indeed, I was not aware of C. Salter hard soap
By DR Harris I have hard soap,I prefer hard soap to cream
No problem, I always appreciate your advice on soaps...I like to joke too

You can't go wrong by buying a few samples from Stirling. The Scots Pine is lightly scented using a natural essential oil. It is mutton tallow based and creamy. I can also recommended the Unscented with Beeswax which contains beef tallow and coconut oil. The latter ingredient gives the soap a rich lather.

Seriously....buy samples. I'm embarrassed by the amount of soap I bought only to find I can't stand the scent. The only Stirling you have there that I sort of like is the Margaritas in the Arctic. I didn't care for the B&M Seville. I'd choose Stirling's Orange Chill over Seville. Heh. I've never tried NO (Though, I will someday).

Again, buy only samples.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Pre de Provence is not actually sold in Europe, AFAIK. There is a similar soap from a company called La Maison du Savon de Provence. @Marco has posted about it.
Sir, the proper name is La Maison du Savon de Marseille. :cuppa:

145.jpg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Stirling makes a very nice unscented beeswax soap - easy to lather and good longevity. Haslinger Schafmilch is a very nice soap with a very mild scent. It's a small puck, so be aware of that.

We have quite a few shavers who really enjoy soap scents, but the nose is a very individual thing. SV makes some nice scents, but that's a whole 'nother ballpark from your current list in terms of price. MdC Nature is my favorite unscented soap. It lasts most shavers about a year, but it's initially pricey. If you get a scent you're not fond of you can try leaving it uncovered for a while - maybe outside. The scent tends to dissipate.

Just get one Saponificio Varesino from Connaught and look no further
Hi. Also for @brucered and @Mr Konrad Dundee , noticed that Connaught just discontinued its free air shipping outside the U.K. for orders of 60 British Pounds or more so double check that the total cost of any order still makes sense versus local options.

P.S. The Cyril R. Salter hard shaving soap and its creams are excellent. I get great results from the soap and enjoy the French Veitver and Wild Rose cream. Consider the soap, that is tallow based, as one of the best alternatives to now discontinued tallow Mitchell's Wool Fat. Soap is the same base as most of the D.R. Harris soaps.

I have started wetshaving like 5-6 months ago. I have everything i need except soaps, i only have proraso sandalwood and arko which i like but i am looking for something better and different. So i looked up some soaps that most people are recommending and i added pine sheep too which i probably will like i am not certain tho. I dont like too heavy fragrance like scents, i can only choose 3 soaps out of these what would you choose?
I would appreciate other recommendations too.

View attachment 1780551
I have the Stirling Bay rum and the Margaritas. I love the MITA. I love it! I'm not a fan of the scent of the bay rum. It's good but I like the PAA bay rum stuff!

B&M omnibus is one of the highest quality soap bases available with a unique, well made scent to boot. Seville isn't mind blowing to me, but it is a pleasant and enjoyable scent especially for a shaving soap. Noble Otter is the next best quality soap. NeV is pretty nice fragrance and a good intro into tea scents (though its a little sweet for my liking). Stirling Margaritas in the arctic would my my next pick. Mentholated with a citrusy scent. I'd drop the bay rum and pine sheep. As for recommendations I don't know what is available to you and what you like so ill hold off on that for now.

I prefer the traditional shaving soaps like DR Harris windsor, TOBS sandalwood... I find Artisans stonger scented then the traditionals.

I have started wetshaving like 5-6 months ago. I have everything i need except soaps, i only have proraso sandalwood and arko which i like but i am looking for something better and different. So i looked up some soaps that most people are recommending and i added pine sheep too which i probably will like i am not certain tho. I dont like too heavy fragrance like scents, i can only choose 3 soaps out of these what would you choose?
I would appreciate other recommendations too.

View attachment 1780551
I would not use any one of them, I have been straight razor shaving for over 40+ years and I find that soap companies that have been around for over 50 years or more make the best soaps
The hipster brands you have here do not have decades of experience to back them up.
"Here today gone tomorrow with hipster soaps" we still have companies in America that have been in business for 100 - to over 200 years old like Caswell Massey they have been making soaps going back to 1752 almost 30 years before America became America, or Col. Ichabod Conk with over 100 plus years of making shaving soap. even Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap from England, original 1893 formula. All of those soap companies only use 100% natural ingredients. Hell Proraso makes a great soap and it's under $10 bucks and they have been making shaving soap from the 50's until today and have some of the best shaving products, no mater what soap I use, I always start with Proraso pre-shave, makes for a better smoother shave e z on the blades and no razor burn shave.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In my experience, the performance of the Stirling soaps pale in comparison to the other two. And I have tried many, including the sheep base that everyone raves about. The B&M Seville in Omnibus is top of the ladder for me. Well, all Omnibus soaps are. Magnificent performance. But not a typical lather either. It’s gloopy. But as slick as it gets for me. You may be different. Seville is a nice mild scent too. The NO base is excellent as well. I am the rare person that doesn’t get along with the Stirling stuff.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Col. Ichabod Conk with over 100 plus years of making shaving soap
The current company was founded in 1980 and has no relation to the original Col. Conk brand which ceased in 1898. There used to be some speculation that they didn’t make their own soap, it was just rebranded.

I would not use any one of them, I have been straight razor shaving for over 40+ years and I find that soap companies that have been around for over 50 years or more make the best soaps
The hipster brands you have here do not have decades of experience to back them up.
"Here today gone tomorrow with hipster soaps" we still have companies in America that have been in business for 100 - to over 200 years old like Caswell Massey they have been making soaps going back to 1752 almost 30 years before America became America, or Col. Ichabod Conk with over 100 plus years of making shaving soap. even Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap from England, original 1893 formula. All of those soap companies only use 100% natural ingredients. Hell Proraso makes a great soap and it's under $10 bucks and they have been making shaving soap from the 50's until today and have some of the best shaving products, no mater what soap I use, I always start with Proraso pre-shave, makes for a better smoother shave e z on the blades and no razor burn shave.
This logic is fundamentally flawed. Col Conk as others have pointed out, isn't the same company and even if it was, its an okay at best glycerine shave soap. Proraso is definitively not a great product, especially in comparison to the successful artisans who at this point have been around for over 10 years. MWF has had significant quality control issues with many people here on B&B finding issues with the soap not lathering at all and recently reformulated so technically it isn't the original formula (if it ever was). The newer products are higher quality, not that much more expensive considering how long they last and for sure are formulated with better ingredients and better scents. Most if not all classic brands are operating in name only and were bought out by larger conglomerates.

I live in Turkey so if i just buy a sample pack thats like 20 dollar shipping.
I know the feeling, with shipping and taxes in Europe..
But in the end it does make sense buying samples. I ended up buying from Maggardrazors from Canada and ordered like 25 samples.
Trust me when you buy an expensive soap that either is not something you really like, or you have some reaction to some ingredients... You regret having a full worthless puck lying around...

Top Bottom