What's new

Will DE shaving gain enough traction to become mainstream again?

I'm not sure what "innovation" is necessary. It's a pretty simple thing, and they could only make it more complicated.

The artisanal soap makers do a very good job. The ATTs and Mulhles and so on of the world do a very good job. You can get soaps and razors that are very, very overbuilt and luxurious already. That Wolfman razor -- nobody needs a razor that nice as it is.

It's like craft beer makers. Would Coors or Bud make a better beer if they got into craft beer making? No. Is there enough great beer for everybody who wants it now? Pretty much. And there are new ones every day.

You can already blow your whole paycheck on shaving stuff as it is. And if this tiny niche continues to grow, there will be many many more opportunities to blow your paycheck.

And, frankly, part of the joy of being into a weird little niche is the very fact that it's weird and little. It's a hidden world for you to discover, a secret for you to share with your friends. I can promise you nobody was all that obsessed with DE shaving back when DE shaving was basically mandatory.

I'm new to traditional shaving, but part of the fun in my opinion is trying new soaps and blades. You don't think there are any more innovations to be made? New metals, new coatings, new sharpening techniques? I guess we are getting off topic, but I think traditional shaving gaining mainstream appeal would be a good thing, which is one of the reasons I posed the question. You make a good point about it being enjoyable as a niche hobby. It would be nice to see some supplies available locally though so I don't have to buy them sight unseen and wait a week to get it.

I'm new to traditional shaving, but part of the fun in my opinion is trying new soaps and blades. You don't think there are any more innovations to be made? New metals, new coatings, new sharpening techniques? I guess we are getting off topic, but I think traditional shaving gaining mainstream appeal would be a good thing, which is one of the reasons I posed the question. You make a good point about it being enjoyable as a niche hobby. It would be nice to see some supplies available locally though so I don't have to buy them sight unseen and wait a week to get it.

Companies like Personna make a wide range of specialized blades including surgical scalpels. To the extent that there are any innovations in blade making they would trickle down from those industries.

DE razors are already much sharper and more durable than the consumer has any use for and have been since the 1960s. Most of the advancements since then have not been in metallurgy but in the design of cartridges themselves. So if you want a "more advanced" razor, just get a Fusion.

Hopefully never. The big money shave corporations will need to make money somehow. and if everyone switches they will just raise the price of the goods to meet the profit of the expensive stuff now.

We had that in the 1980's, where a pack of 10 DE blades was almost as expensive as a pack of twin blade cartridges.

As a consumer, I can say that we never had as much choice as we have now, thanks to online shops. It only makes the brick and mortar shops more boring.

When I decided to switch from electric razor to DE, I searched online first to see what was available. By accident, I found bulk twin-blade cartridges selling for 10 cents each. At that price in the U.S., it's likely that poorer populations around the world are going to have access to a basic disposable for even less. Money isn't going to keep anyone currently use DE from switching to the cheap convenient disposable if they're not into it as an "experience".

I hope that DE use increases enough that my local stores carry a bit of it, but I'm not holding my breath. As of now, they have nothing DE - zero. I had to order 100% of my razors and supplies online. There isn't even a pack of DE blades to be found in town, much less a micro touch. Around here, I'm not sure anyone under 50 even knows that such razors are in use by anyone. With the influence of big-company marketing, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

But if we've established that wet shaving (DE or single blade) is the most beneficial method for ones face, wouldn't it be nice to see big companies across the world invest in wet shaving innovations, such as new razors, soaps, and blades? I agree with aldomario that in this global economy, prices would have to remain competitive. I understand that profit is why companies have moved in the direction of cans and cartridges, but at some point, if the demand is there for traditional shaving methods, one would think stores would start carrying them.

No profit margin for a BIG corp in Straight razors . . . it's the consumables that make the $$$. Canned goo is cheap to produce, as are the balms and soaps, etc. At least, in the mainstream. Look at it this way . . . Burger King does not make their $$$ on selling you the Whopper, they make it on selling you that $1.00 coke (that costs them about a DIME to put on the counter), or those $1.50 fries.

I agree with Anthony, above.

Traditional shaving, IMO, will always remain a niche area. First, consumers are on the lazy side and like to have products that require very little effort. Cartridge razors fit that need as does canned shaving cream. Second, "new and improved" products has become the mantra of advertising and consumers are geared up to try anything new and improved. That's why the industry leaders have come up with more and more razors with different blades and alignments and shaving gels and creams. The latest "innovations" have floating balls that seem to copy the Dyson vacuum cleaner in concept! Finally as Gillette has learned, the real money is not in selling new razors but in selling blades. If they can charge and consumers are will to pay for what they can get for the latest blades arrangement and canned products, there is no incentive for them to go back to the ways of traditional shaving.

I dont think so. They can't make money on DE shaving like how they do with carts now. Beside most people don't know about DE shaving. A lot of friends of me which I tried to convert are afraid of the DE blades. I hope it never becomes mainstream.

Top Bottom