What's new

Buying second double edged razor, advice please (beginner)

As you are in EU maybe you can get a Giesen und Forsthoff Timor, which is a tad milder than the R89. It's not well known outside Germany but I prefer it over the R89 (and the Merkur 34c).
@flash75 , if you are familiar with the Timors, perhaps you are in the know as to whether the TTO (butterfly razor) is in fact a re-branded Weishi (made in China). Some suggest as much, see the link below, though as I read these debates they are inconclusive. what do you think (or know)?

The tto indeed is something rebranded from China . But the 3 piece closed comb is a real winner.
I use the closed comb one, as I bought the handle only for 20€,with a razorock stainless steel halo handle.

For the soap? Cella. A classic. Inexpensive. Great performer.

For the brush? A boar brush. The Prorazo Pro or Omega Pro 48 are two nice (and cheap) options at the Irish online store. No synths.

Last I checked the Muhle R89 and Edwin Jagger de89 all used the same heads…only the handles differ. The King C. Gillette head was also rumored to be made in Germany and a “kissing cousin” of the R89 and de89 heads. This info is a few years old though.

A few years ago there was a lot of talk about razors made of zamak (or potmetal) rotting after the chrome had chipped or worn away. I took the precaution of adding a little bit of Chapstick (lip balm) to the threads and never had a problem. But I agree with others here that your breakage was most likely due to over-tightening…remember some guys tighten all the way down then untighten 1/8 to 1/4 turns…you just need enough force to bring them together.

Don’t go crazy and spend too much at first. You still don’t know if you will prefer open-combs or closed-combs, agressives or milds, TTOs or 3-piece, long-handles or short-handles, etc, etc, etc.

If you plan to be a daily shaver, go for a mild one at first…the 89’s and clones should do the trick.

it depends on your face and beard. Mine is coarse and thick and an R89 takes so much work it can have adverse side effects on my face. My daily drivers are an R41 and Lupo .95. The R41 was the second razor I purchased within a month of starting wet shaving and I have been in love ever since, but that's me. I can't use Henson products either due to how mild even their ++ razor is. The only mild razor that ever did the job for me is a a 34G, still a go too at times. Perfect brain dead razor when don't feel like paying attention.

Try a Schick injector razor my man! Trust me I have 15+ razors and nothing beats it. One thats forgiving but still very effective is my Schick Hydromagic. Now my only advice it to ride the guard and not the cap like most people tell you to do. Riding the guard is basically putting the guard parallel to the skin and bring the handle up until you feel the blade engage with very little pressure.

Get a Tech
Actually I've heard this advice so often from so many that I threw in the Razorock Tech II clone that was on sale for $4.99 in my late November Italian Barber order. Hoping it's a good and mild shaver as reported by most. Will get to it in the next few weeks once I'm done playing with the Razorock Adjust received in the same order.

Top Bottom