What's new

Buying second double edged razor, advice please (beginner)

Hi all,

I used cartridge razors all my life and recently got a double-edged safety razor. The shave was much better and I really liked using it, but then it broke. It was called haryali and i got it online and used the cheapest blades I could get. I never really cut myself.

I want to buy a new one. Where I live, online I have looked at the muhle r89, r41 and r94.

I have very light facial hair and can't grow a beard at all. However, it looks really bad if i don't shave as i get these small annoying hairs, so a close shave is very important to me. I'm a bit confused by terminology about razors being aggressive or not aggressive.

The main thing I would like to know is for the 3 razors above, which one will give me the closest shave of my minimal hair, without really cutting my face (if that's a problem). I will never have to shave a beard.

Thanks in advance

Welcome 👋

How and what broke on your Haryali? They rebrand mostly Chinese razors that can be had for far less without their branding and are of decent quality. I assume you had a twist to open (TTO) model.

The R89 or Merkur 34 are fine mild shavers but the blade loading works a bit different than a TTO. If you tell us where you are based we can guide you to more choices if needed.

Of the three razors you mention I believe the r89 would be your best choice. A mild razor that is a good shaver. Sounds like your facial hair is well suited for it. Welcome to B&B!
Thanks!
Welcome 👋

How and what broke on your Haryali? They rebrand mostly Chinese razors that can be had for far less without their branding and are of decent quality. I assume you had a twist to open (TTO) model.

The R89 or Merkur 34 are fine mild shavers but the blade loading works a bit different than a TTO. If you tell us where you are based we can guide you to more choices if needed.
I should probably have been more specific. It was a twist to open. Part of the 'mount' i think it is called broke. You know the 3 columns that stick up and go through the blade? the one in the middle broke off and got embedded in the handle and i can't get it out, which means I can't twist the handle in. strange problem.

EDIT: I have just looked at what it means to have a twist to open, mine was actually a 3 piece

I'm based in Ireland

Last edited:
Thanks!

I should probably have been more specific. It was a twist to open. Part of the 'mount' i think it is called broke. You know the 3 columns that stick up and go through the blade? the one in the middle broke off and got embedded in the handle and i can't get it out, which means I can't twist the handle in. strange problem.

I'm based in Ireland
If you don’t know the site yet and want to compare but the R89 is a solid choice.

• Love
Reactions: Cal
If you don’t know the site yet and want to compare but the R89 is a solid choice.

thank you, that's the website i am using. do you have a recommendation of a cream vs a soap for using the r89?

thank you, that's the website i am using. do you have a recommendation of a cream vs a soap for using the r89?
If you are starting out I would suggest a cream as you can better finetune the amount needed for your shave. With hard soaps there is always a concern of getting the right amount and you want consistency when building you lather until you start experimenting with different stuff.

A tube of Proraso Red if you like Sandalwood for winter or Proraso Blue if you want to stay more soapy neutral would be an excellent start. What are you currently using?

If you are starting out I would suggest a cream as you can better finetune the amount needed for your shave. With hard soaps there is always a concern of getting the right amount and you want consistency when building you lather until you start experimenting with different stuff.

A tube of Proraso Red if you like Sandalwood for winter or Proraso Blue if you want to stay more soapy neutral would be an excellent start. What are you currently using?
I'm currently using a really bad and cheap foam from the supermarket, so anything will be an improvement

There are lots of good choices for "starter" DE razors. Nothing wrong with the ones you mentioned. My vote would be for an adjustable, like the Merkur Progress. That way you can fine tune things and get the shave just the way you like it.

As I read your first post, especially about your facial hair I would recommend the R89 or the Edwin Jagger de89 which has basically the same head because Mühle and EJ developed it together.
As you are in EU maybe you can get a Giesen und Forsthoff Timor, which is a tad milder than the R89. It's not well known outside Germany but I prefer it over the R89 (and the Merkur 34c). The only razor that beats it for me is the Rockwell 6s @R3.
The simplest option would be to get the head only and buy a handle on Aliexpress.

I will second the suggestion for the R89. It's mild, but not at the extreme end of mild.

Of the other razors you are looking at the R41 is very aggressive. The R94 is middling. I have owned them all - the R89 is the only one I still have around.

If you want to save a bit of money, the Merkur 42C is a nice mild razor (I have one in my travel bag...although I haven't travelled anywhere with it due to health issues since I got it). You can probably also pick up a King C Gillette at a large supermarket / Boots / Superdrug for just £10. That's definitely one of the best razor bargains for folks in the UK.

With light growth, any of the above would be more than adequate. More aggressive razors tend to have either a larger gap between the blade and safety bar, and / or more blade exposure, i.e. the blade sticks out more beyond the imaginary plane that runs from the edge of the cap to the safety bar. Small variations can make a big difference. To put it simply, both mean that the skin is more exposed to the blade, so the safety razor become less "safe", relatively speaking.

Aggressive razors are appreciated by some for their shaving characteristics, but I would be surprised that anyone truly "needs" a really aggressive razor to get an acceptable shave unless they are regularly going several days between shaves. Of course, we all have different ideas of what is "acceptable, but after 10+ years of DE use, my take is that the sharpness of the blade far more important that the razor it's mounted in. As long as that element is up to snuff, I can get good results with razors at all levels of aggression.

Mild razors can take more work in terms of passes / clean-up, and the final shave might not be as close, but if you put the time in you can usually get the results. More aggressive razors might get the work done faster and make it easier to get a very close shave, but there's also such a thing as a shave that's too close, and a more aggressive razor tends to mean a greater chance of irritation if your technique wanders.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I think with the right blade, a mild razor like the R89 would do you just fine.

Last edited:
I think these great members are spot on. R89 family has some great choices.
Sure, there are a lot of other options. But the R89 is a great place to start...
Once you have a solid tool , just relax and focus on consistency pairing with technique improvements.
Also ensure you have a good all around shaving routine, prep, in process, & post.
Shaving has so many variables, that is way I always highlight consistency.
Have fun, remember all here ( the super members) try to help guide you.
But your path, your choices, your experiences will also guide you. Shave smart...you only have one face...
Have fun, enjoy the shave
BFX

Hi all,

I used cartridge razors all my life and recently got a double-edged safety razor. The shave was much better and I really liked using it, but then it broke. It was called haryali and i got it online and used the cheapest blades I could get. I never really cut myself.

I want to buy a new one. Where I live, online I have looked at the muhle r89, r41 and r94.

I have very light facial hair and can't grow a beard at all. However, it looks really bad if i don't shave as i get these small annoying hairs, so a close shave is very important to me. I'm a bit confused by terminology about razors being aggressive or not aggressive.

The main thing I would like to know is for the 3 razors above, which one will give me the closest shave of my minimal hair, without really cutting my face (if that's a problem). I will never have to shave a beard.

Thanks in advance
The best bang for the buck is
The Razor Rock Game Changer it's a genuine
Bargain gives great shaves and fits the level
You're looking for, you don't have to worry about it ever breaking, it should literally last a lifetime

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Best answer is all are different, and if you think someone advice is RIGHT ON its not. All three will preform differently depending upon BLADE choice.

Of the three razors you mention I believe the r89 would be your best choice. A mild razor that is a good shaver. Sounds like your facial hair is well suited for it. Welcome to B&B!
This or perhaps a Henson AL13.
Henson AL13 Closed Comb Safety Razor - https://shavenation.com/products/henson-al13-safety-razor-mild-or-medium?_pos=2&_sid=eddcb8e3e&_ss=r&variant=40949945565353

The Henson is on the milder side (if you pick that head type).

If you want something that is quality but still cost effective, then the Feather Popular.
Feather Popular Closed Comb Butterfly Safety Razor with 2 Free Blades - https://shavenation.com/products/feather-popular-safety-razor-2pk-feather-blades

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
Buy a Henson thank me later. Then buy Cremo shave cream, thank me again later. If you can spend more buy Jack Black Beard Lube or the Supreme Cream.

If you have a relatively light growth, there are many nice razors that will meet your requirements. May I ask if you are decided only the Muhle options as there are other European offerings you may enjoy like Merkur and Fatip?

And I second the above Jack Black endorsements as I use both. The Beard Lube is excellent, does not require a brush and is quick and efficient to use but applies on your face with a deceptively thin layer which may discourage users who expecct fluffy piles of white foam on the face. The jack Black Creme performs the same as the lube with the expected souffle of foamy fluff but it requires a brush.

Top Bottom