What's new

You may think I'm crazy for recommending this, but ...

I let my boar brush to do the exfoliation. After all, that's one of the benefits of using a brush.
I doubt a brush really does anything. Dead skin cells are part of the outer layer of your skin. An acid is the only thing that removes them by breaking the bond. Retinoids do the same thing but takes a few months to work.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I doubt a brush really does anything. Dead skin cells are part of the outer layer of your skin. An acid is the only thing that removes them by breaking the bond. Retinoids do the same thing but takes a few months to work.

Well, a brush and lather may not exfoliate everything? But it certainly scrubs the beard and skin, ridding it of dirt and oils. And then that sharp blade probably exfoliates the dead skin that was prepped by the brush and lather, along with the whiskers.

I shower at night and when I wake the next morning, I go straight to the bathroom to lather up and shave. The brush, soap, lather is all the prep I have ever needed and the razor and blade has been all the exfoliating I have ever needed.

My beard is very tough, but I just don’t and have never needed a 20 step process to prep and shave my face? And I enjoy a great shave just as much as the next guy. :)

OkieStubble

Not true. SOME of the abrasives can be polymer. What I'm using has ground up corn shells

To the other recent poster, I guess Gillette's off their rocker, too:

I agree with you…. Gillette tries to bend us over and break our wallets from the exorbitant price for their 5 blades monsters that only costs them Pennie’s to make.

Gillette is definitely off their rocker and we shouldn’t listen to them or believe them about anything. :)

Last edited:
Hey, whatever works.

Personally, I would think that using a corn-husk impregnated sanding disk on my face every day prior to shaving would tend to irritate the hell out of my face.

I dont have sensitive skin but shave every other day and use salicylic acid (Stridex pads) between shaves to reduce blemishes and ingrown hairs (it seems to work fine).

Last thought:

I stopped listening to Gillette years ago, after "the commercial" (during the Super Bowl?) telling me how to be a better nan. Back in the early to mid 20th century, they seemed to be THE authority on shaving but they've lost focus.

Yeah, the only objective of all those companies is to sell you more products at higher prices. They have to come up with something new: exfoliants, micellar waters, active charcoal, heated blades... you name it.

OkieStubble

Hey, whatever works.

Personally, I would think that using a corn-husk impregnated sanding disk on my face every day prior to shaving would tend to irritate the hell out of my face.

I dont have sensitive skin but shave every other day and use salicylic acid (Stridex pads) between shaves to reduce blemishes and ingrown hairs (it seems to work fine).

Last thought:

I stopped listening to Gillette years ago, after "the commercial" (during the Super Bowl?) telling me how to be a better nan. Back in the early to mid 20th century, they seemed to be THE authority on shaving but they've lost focus.

I remember that commercial. They we’re trying to tell us how to not be ‘toxic men’.

They can keep their advice and their 5 bladed monster, I don’t want either.

Exactly. And you also get a lot of secondary benefits. Azelaic acid for example is anti inflammatory, reduces redness, makes skin less reactive to irritants, fades dark spots and improves sun damage. (And more)

It is so tolerable that it’s used for rosacea and similar conditions.

Are there any skin care products you know of which contain Azelaic Acid?

Not true. SOME of the abrasives can be polymer. What I'm using has ground up corn shells

To the other recent poster, I guess Gillette's off their rocker, too:

I have VERY sensitive skin and I can easily exfoliate then do 2-3 passes with a mild razor DAILY ... no big deal, honest
And would you look at that. Gillette will sell you the exfoliating product after they recommended it. Of course they are going to recommend it. It's in their best interest financially.

Shower. Shave. Done. No extra products needed, shaves are always perfect.

Do what you like. Like what you do. I like to keep it simple.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
If I have a shower before I shave I borrow my wife's sandy exfoliation face wash. Feels great. No issues with irritation for me.

Edit: although I do go lighter on my beardini zone, but scrub the hell out of my nose and forehead.

Shaving itself is known to provide exfoliation and, provided you don't overshave, to be good for your skin.

Exfoliating prior to shaving, if continued over time, is going to lead, inevitably, to over-exfoliation, which will cause irritation and, in the long run, possibly worse. Some people even get irritation by face lathering and then shaving.

It's your face and you can do what you want with it, but I would advise anybody reading this thread to think twice before trying this.

Last edited:

These two are excellent. I am currently using the second but have used the first. Basically use them two or three times a week at night.

I must say I have noticed a difference when I wash my face with some soap and a small towel prior to shaving.
My shave tends to be way smoother when I do that than when I don't.
And face lathering with a brush seems to do the trick too but I do notice an improvement when using the towel to wash my ugly mug.
Just my two cents.

Top Bottom