What's new

the ONE blade challenge.

shave 7;
today is an important day for me at work so this morning i did 3 passes and got BBS with a little irritation which the alum and nivea took care of quickly, the blade is still quite comfortable and i still enjoy it more then i would a new Astra sp

shave #4 derby was a bit lazy so delayed shaving, comfortable but i think delaying was the reason i wasn't about to get more than an almost dfs

I've just read this thread from start to finish. And while I do have some curiosity about the subject, an am really tempted to join in on the fun and participate, there are three nagging thoughts that are stopping me...

1) George Orwell's 1984. Because I read the book in junior high when it was assigned, in 1986 (really sort of letting the air out of that balloon). My memory of the book is fuzzy (it was high school, and I liked Pink Floyd, need I say more), so I'm not sure it was in the original text, but I distinctly remember, in the movie, the protagonist, Winston Smith (John Hurt), despite having a "priviledged" job for the party, is seen struggling with an old dull blade, out of necessity, as new blades are unobtainable.

2) A French film whose name and actual plot escape me (if I'm watching a film with subtitles, there's usually an ulterior motive and it's female)...so anyway, it's one of those post-apocalyptic (nuclear or otherwise) tales depicting a group of people sharing a cramped apartment and dealing with extreme shortages. One of the characters struggles with an ancient blade. What left a lasting impression about the shortages in this movie is one the discussion of rumored cannibalism and a graphic portrayal of another character repairing a hole in a condom that was already patched several times.

3) 1977 or so in the USSR my dad bought 1000 Polsilvers (then still made in Poland) because they were the best blade he could get and he didn't know the next time time this opportunity would present itself.

When Orwell is the less depressing recolection, that's saying something. Ronald Reagan did not single-handedely defeat Communism for me to have to use the same blade more than 3 times. I'm out. God Bless America:thumbup:.

I've just read this thread from start to finish. And while I do have some curiosity about the subject, an am really tempted to join in on the fun and participate, there are three nagging thoughts that are stopping me...

1) George Orwell's 1984. Because I read the book in junior high when it was assigned, in 1986 (really sort of letting the air out of that balloon). My memory of the book is fuzzy (it was high school, and I liked Pink Floyd, need I say more), so I'm not sure it was in the original text, but I distinctly remember, in the movie, the protagonist, Winston Smith (John Hurt), despite having a "priviledged" job for the party, is seen struggling with an old dull blade, out of necessity, as new blades are unobtainable.

2) A French film whose name and actual plot escape me (if I'm watching a film with subtitles, there's usually an ulterior motive and it's female)...so anyway, it's one of those post-apocalyptic (nuclear or otherwise) tales depicting a group of people sharing a cramped apartment and dealing with extreme shortages. One of the characters struggles with an ancient blade. What left a lasting impression about the shortages in this movie is one the discussion of rumored cannibalism and a graphic portrayal of another character repairing a hole in a condom that was already patched several times.

3) 1977 or so in the USSR my dad bought 1000 Polsilvers (then still made in Poland) because they were the best blade he could get and he didn't know the next time time this opportunity would present itself.

When Orwell is the less depressing recolection, that's saying something. Ronald Reagan did not single-handedely defeat Communism for me to have to use the same blade more than 3 times. I'm out. God Bless America:thumbup:.

EHbloodyMAZING Sir! :thumbup1:
Best thing I've read in awhile!

When Orwell is the less depressing recolection, that's saying something. Ronald Reagan did not single-handedely defeat Communism for me to have to use the same blade more than 3 times. I'm out. God Bless America[emoji106].
i second cash stromper, but why waste a perfectly good blade?

shave two.
nothing note worthy here, prep was good if anything the blade feels a bit better on the second shave in my opinion.

Many blades exhibit this effect, IMO. I don't find it surprising at all any more.

But I have no explanation for the phenomena.

Shave #4 with the Personna in a Gillette Tech. I may move it to the Weber tomorrow to see if a slightly more aggressive razor makes a difference. My goal with this little challenge is to try and get at least 7 good shaves (or 21-22 passes) from a blade. Anything more will be a bonus and eventually I will start saving money, which is why all of us started this anyways, right?:laugh:

shave 8 done and im calling it a day!
i could keep going as the blade is defiantly still sharp enough to shave with but its not comfortable enough for my taste and i think stropping the blade would'nt be in the spirit of the game, still 8 comfortable shaves from a derby is pretty good i think :)

This challenge sounds like inspiration for one of those low budget horror movies that go straight to DVD - "My Bloody Christmas". Some of you guys are gonna look like young Grinch from the Jim Carrey movie where he gets ridiculed for being 8 years old and having a beard, so he shaves it off and gets cuts all over his face, prompting his classroom nemesis to exclaim "What a hack job!"

Acctally through all these shaves I didn't get a single nick, I've posted it before but people don't seem to get the idea, it's not about draging a blunt bald across your face for as long as you can stand it, the point is extending the blades USEFUL life.

Acctally through all these shaves I didn't get a single nick, I've posted it before but people don't seem to get the idea, it's not about draging a blunt bald across your face for as long as you can stand it, the point is extending the blades USEFUL life.
The task of explaining this is almost as hard as acquiring the technique to do it. :001_smile

Don't give up on either mission. :thumbup1:

The task of explaining this is almost as hard as acquiring the technique to do it. :001_smile

Don't give up on either mission. [emoji106]1:
there's no point in punishing your face just up get a few more uses, but getting a few more uses, which comes along with better technique is always good. There's no point in torturing yourself over 20 cents, but if those 20 cents are still good, why throw them out. Sound about right?

If you nominally get 4 shaves and you learn to comfortably push that to 6, then the quality of your 4 nominal shaves will be better as well.

Last edited:
I am already doing the challenge. I recently joined the Excalibur Club and just finished my 18th shave on a Wilkinson Sword manufactured by Gillette in China. Shaves 7 through 18 has thus far been pretty much the same, and I can get a BBS with each shave. Prior to joining I would sometimes nurse a blade to 7 shaves, but most always discarded it after that.

Some misunderstand, it's not about the cost of the blades, it's about discarding something that is perfectly functional. Learning the art of extending blade life is interesting, and I never ever believed I would get 18 shaves and still going, especially with a China blade. It's also enjoyable to see how long you can get a blade to last while providing excellent shaves.

Fortunately, I am in a position in my life where I can afford any good razors and blades I wish to purchase, but haven't always been in that position. I can assure you that if we ever have a world war, you won't have the ready supply of blades available that we currently enjoy. During WWII my dad used blades until they wouldn't cut butter, because they were difficult to come by. Learning to be frugal is an excellent exercise in learning and wisdom. Plus it's just plain fun.

Not in. Preventing irritation and ingrown hairs takes priority over this fun game.
Actually ingrown hairs are caused by shaving the hair below the skin, causing it to grow inward into the skin. I'm on day 9 with my Feather blade Sledgehammer 39c combo and counting.

there's no point in punishing your face just up get a few more uses, but getting a few more uses, which comes along with better technique is always good. There's no point in torturing yourself over 20 cents, but if those 20 cents are still good, why throw them out. Sound about right?
No, this is a misconception that blades don't last, they are stainless steel and platinum coated. Might as well believe Gillette when they say cartridges are better.

Top Bottom