What's new

East Coast Canadian Pass-around Box

Hi All. Busy few days, so I apologize for the delay in this post.
I decided to do an inventory of the box contents as we are getting near the end of round 1.
Here are some pics of the contents, following with the list...
If I am to add anything, I am not sure I could fit it in the box. This thing was packed to almost bursting...
$ECPassBox1.JPG$ECPassBox2.JPG$ECPassBox3.JPG$ECPassBox4.JPG$ECPassBox5.JPG

The contents include (there is a lot there, so I may have missed something)...

Shave Soaps
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Canadian Shave Soap Barrie Bay Rum - 5 samples
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Canadian Shave Soap Naked Truth Unscented - 2 Samples
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Canadian Shave Soap Loretto Lime and Rosemary - 2 samples
1[SUP]st[/SUP] Canadian Shave Soap Hot Summer Lavender - samples
Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes & Peppercorns sample
Edwin Jagger Limes & Pomegranate
Edwin Jagger Aloe Soap
Williams Mug
Van Der Hagen
Palmolive shave stick
Argo Shave Stick
1 Unknown Soap (unable to read)

Shaving Creams
GFT Limes
TOBS Rose (sample)
TOBS Avocado (sample)
TOBS Lavender (sample)
Razorock Fresco
Stone Fox Black Tie
Sailor Bup's Lime
The Real Shaving Co.
Viking Sensitive
C. R. Salter Sandalwood
Arko Extra Sensitive
Pacific Shave Co. Caffinated
Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime
Yego (I think this is Shaving Cream..)
Pre Shave
Proraso Green Pre-Shave
Proraso White Pre-Shave
The Legends London Alum matchsticks (4 packs)
Cuban Cedar & Lime Shave Oil
RR Extract of Limes Shave Oil

After Shaves
Gillette After Shave Lotion
Captains Choice CO9T AS Splash
Clubman Bay Rum AS Splash
Pinaud Clubman AS Splash
Lucky tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Deep Blue AS Splash
Masters Bay Rum AS Splash
Lilac Vegatal AS Splash
Avon Domino Wild Country AS Splash
RR The Freedberg AS Splash
Booster Lilac AS Splash
4711 decant
Vitos Mentolo ?

D.R. Harris Bay Rum Hair Lotion

Razors:
Gem SE
Schick + Blade Loader
Yuma DE
Lorde DE
Merkur 34HC
Gillette Ball End Old Type OC
Ball End Handle with Sabi Head
Wilkinson Sword Plastic DE
Gold Dollar Straight
Sedef Shavette

Brushes
Old Original Pure Bristle
New Omega Wood Handle Boar (#10005 I believe)
Unknown Boar?
Many, Many Blades

Friday was my Day One with the box Shave.
There is a Merkur 34HC in the box that I wanted to try. I have a Merkur 38C that is my most used razor and I wanted to compare the two. I have used the Astra Superior Platinum blades and quite like them, but I have not tried the Astra Stainless versions so I wanted to compare these as well and put one in the 34HC.
There is an Omega 10005 in the box, but I have one as well and so I used mine. This is a great boar brush and I use it quite regularly.
I have not tried any pre-shave products so I gave the Proraso White a try. It smells really good. A bit minty with a touch of menthol, but not much. A better scent that the Proraso Green pre-shave IMHO that was in the box as well. Tingles and cools the face after applied.
I used my own Proraso Green Soap as I didn’t want to mix up too many new products and thought this would be a good match to the pre-shave.
Proraso soap lathered as expected, the razor / blade combo was excellent. I would almost say that this blade felt better than the Astra Superior Platinum ones I have used. The 34HC razor, compared to my 38C, felt much milder and safer, and although I did not think it was cutting as close as my 38C, I had the same “almost” BBS as I usually get when I use the 38C. I was pleasantly surprised! A new blade in a great razor with a pre-shave cream likely combined to make this what it was.
I finished off with the Masters Bay Rum AS Splash. The smell was milder than the Bay Rum AS I have tried in the past, and I liked the scent after application and a couple hours later it was still present but much less so. I did not, however, like the face feel afterwards. I ended up washing my face a couple of hours later because I continued to feel like my face was a little sticky. I am not sure what was in it causing this feeling like something was coating my face hours after it was applied leaving this tacky sensation.
$ECPassBoxShave1.JPG

Yesterday was Shave #2. No Shave today...
Shave 2 was the same 34HC and Astra blade. Was in a hurry so skipped the pre-shave cream and decided to try the Caffeinated shaving cream instead of a soap. I used my EJ Badger brush as it is pretty soft and good for lathering up a cream in a little bowl.
It didnt have the same slick soapy feel like my usual soaps, but it still performed pretty well. 3 quick passes worth of lather and the razor blade combo did not let me down again. A great DFS. I don't know if the Caffeine in the cream did anything, but it was a better than expected shave with it.
Splashed on some CC CO9T and ooooooooh, aaaaaahhhh! This stuff definitely Lets you know it is there! The stinging and burning did fade away within a couple of minutes, and the left over scent was pretty good, though hard to explain. I have some CC Bay Rum AS that does not have the kick this stuff does, but it has turned out to be a little to "spicy" for my taste. Good for Christmas morning etc. but not every day use. The CO9T was a similar scent but more pleasant IMO. A bit more masculine scent backing up the spices... I liked it, but the wife was not on the same page as me. She does not like the CC Bay Rum either, though.

$ECPassBoxShave2.JPG

I find the CC Bay Rum is a little too clovey. I know a lot of guys really like it, but that's my thoughts on it.

I love my 34C. There is something about that razor. Maybe it's because it was my forst DE and I've used it the longest. I find it so smooth and easy to shave with.

I have a fairly heavy beard and I don't often shave on weekends so by Monday morning I have a good amount of stubble. The 34C never clogs up and even with milder blades can mow through a weekends worth of growth.

I have other razors I enjoy, but there is something special about the 34C.

imcndn

Today's shave I put a Perma-Sharp blade in the 34HC for a bit of variation. I used my other Omega Boar brush with Sailor Bup's Lime Shave cream. I scooped out a quarter sized amount and pressed it into a bowl. The instructions on the jar say for best results apply with a brush, but this stuff does not lather. When I whipped it up with my brush, the lime scent stood out much more, but the stuff would not create a lather... I added more water etc. to try to make it easier to apply, but I could not. I was not very impressed by the slickness of it either. The initial pass was uncomfortable and although there was not really any tugging as the new blade seemed to cut the beard hair very well, there just seemed to be too much friction from razor to skin. I applied a little of the caffeinated cream I used on Saturday morning, and was able to whip up a much better lather and pass 2 & 3 were more comfortable. This cream may work better if not using a brush, but I don't think so and I will not be trying it again as there are many more options in the box... I had not tried a Perma-Sharp blade before, and have seen mixed reviews, but I was very happy with the sharpness of it. Even with the lack of slickness on the first pass, it cut through 2 days growth just fine.
I finished off with the
Lilac Vegatal AS Splash. I expected some burn due to the rough first pass (and the fact that it was in a Tabasco bottle), but it did not. The scent was floral (Lilac... duh) with a hint of a more masculine cologne in the background. I can't quite place that other scent. I can still get whiffs of it 5 or 6 hours afterwards, but it is a little to floral for me.

Top Bottom