What's new

East Coast Canadian Pass-around Box

I haven’t had much time to update this post of late due to some unforeseen circumstances, and I am handing the box off to Nick today, so I wanted to give a summary of what I used in the box as I did shave a few more times.
I used the Schick razor a couple of times. The blade loader system was cool and I have not tried a SE razor before so I gave it a whirl. Very nice shaves with it. Got one nick but it was minimal. Used one of the Alum Matchsticks in the box and that performed as expected…
I had a couple of shaves with the plastic Wilkenson Sword. It has a substantial sized weighted handle and it seemed to be put together fairly well, but it was a bit too mild of a shaver for me. I assume the price point on this one is fairly low, so it may make a good travel razor if you are afraid to lose it… just not for me.
I also used the Merkur a few times and was very impressed with this one so I used it on my final shave with the box this morning – same Perma-Sharp blade in it and it continued to be a smooth easy shave.
I really liked the Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime Shaving cream. I have not used any shaving creams for a long time, so most of my shaves out of this box were with creams. The Crabtree & Evelyn cream was my favorite. This stuff makes a great lather and I love the lime scent to it. I am tempted to keep this tube, but there is only about a eighth of it left, so I will leave it in there for a few others to try…
Today I used the Yego krem do golenia, which I assumed was shaving cream. There was not much scent to this one, and I had to double up on the amount I would normally put in a bowl (2 instead of 1 almond size amounts) to get a workable lather. The lather was still thinner than I like, but it did leave a suitably slick shaving surface and I had no irritation from the shave.
My favorite aftershave from the box that I tried was the Clubman V I Bay Rum. Similar face feel and burn as the CC Bay Rum, but much less clove scent and maybe a little more cinnamon. It all faded away to a pleasant spice rum scent that was mild but still present hours later. I used this one for most of my shaves.
I used the Lucky Tiger AS today. It has a nice citrus lime scent that I think would pair great with the Crabtree & Evelyn cream in the box. It had little or no burn, but left me with a nice face feel. Unfortunately the scent does not last long. A great AS Splash if you don’t like the Alcohol burn or prefer a mild Lime scent that does not linger.
I decided not to keep anything from the box except a few packs of the Astra SS blades, but have added to it… It is getting seriously full now. I don’t see anything else getting into this box without upsizing the box or removing items.
New Stuff Added:
These are great items that just dont get a lot of use from me.
Razorock Alum Block
Kiehl's Ultimate Razor Bump Relief Cream. (French side facing in the pic...)
Razorock Problem Solver AS.
Razorock Tobacco #1 Sample (green tub) (This is a great soap with great scent! My current favorite! You gotta try it)
View attachment 577508

Last edited:
I got the box from Neil yesterday. This thing is stuffed.
$uploadfromtaptalk1433814100489.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1433814120956.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1433814135474.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1433814150076.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1433814164080.jpg

Shave 1
From the box
Merkur 34c HD
Viking shave cream
Pinaud Clubman

I loaded the Merkur with my go to blade-Rapira Platinum Lux. Whipped up the Viking with my Rubberset 150N finest badger and I have one thing to say about this cream. WOW!!! An amazing lather exploded in my bowl and after a 3+ pass BBS shave I decided to give Clubman another go. This time I liked it. And my wife approves as well.
All the stars aligned for this shave. It was as good as anyone can ask for. I'm thoroughly impressed with both the Viking cream and the Merkur DE.

Shave 2

From the box
Merkur 34c HD
Cella Extra Extra Purissima
Captain's Choice Cat O 9 Tails
DR Harris Bay Rum Hair Lotion

I kept the razor and blade the same as last shave just to keep some sameness. Squished a piece of Cella into an empty Old Spice mug and went at it with my Made Rite 84 Best Badger. I understand why this soap has such a big following. It's a great performer. It's got all the bases covered, lather, cushion, glide, and protection. The only thing missing was scent. It was lacking in this department. Maybe because of its time in the box, I don't know. With no nick's or anything of the sort, I wasn't expecting much from the CO9T. Initially I was right, no burn. Then slowly it came. LOVE IT! The scent was great too. A little clovey, but not as bad as Captain's regular Bay Rum. Though not good enough to dethrone king VIBR. It may find a place in my denat some point. Who knows?

As for the DR Harris Bay Rum Hair Lotion, it's alright but I don't think I'm gonna run out and get some. I just don't see myself using it on a regular basis. As I usually just put product in my hair after I splash on my AS, so there's a little leftover scent on my hands already.

$uploadfromtaptalk1433959324896.jpg

Shave 3

From the box
Merkur 34c HD
Razorock Tobacco
Lucky Tiger

I whipped up the Razorock Tobacco with my Rubberset 150N finest badger and I can't believe I've never tried this soap. The scent is in a word, awesome! I love it. It's definitely on my to buy list. Still using the Merkur/Rapira PL combo and again left with BBS. Finishing off with Lucky Tiger. This gets a lot of love around here, but it's not for me. I like an after shave with scent. It left my face feeling great, but with no fragrance it has no place in my den.

I'm glad you liked the Tobacco soap / scent. It's my fav right now. I was hoping it didn't smell like cigarettes or something when I ordered it... :laugh:
I feel the same about the Lucky Tiger. It has a light lime / citrus scent initially, but that disappears very fast... like 5 or 10 minutes fast.

Shave 4

From the box
Merkur 34c HD
Razorock Fresco
Razorock The Freedberg

I have one thing to say... Why the heck is my den Razorock free? Both versions I've tried now ate amazing.
And yet another BBS from the Merkur Rapira combo (4th shave on this blade) dimension of with The Freedberg. Another top notch Razorock product. I see money being spent on this stuff.
$uploadfromtaptalk1434245931794.jpg

D'oh! I had meant to try the Freedberg but forgot about this one. I am getting low on the AS Splashes and wanted to give this one a try. Oh Well...

I have a question for you gentlemen.
I've fallen in love with the Merkur 34c HD and don't want to part with it. Now I don't have a comparable new school replacement. What I do have however is a Canadian SR and a Milord that I am willing to part with. Question is: are either of those suitable trades for the 34c? or should I put both in the box as the trade?
Box is off to Jefhunter tomorrow so only have tonight to decide.

Top Bottom