What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

Completed shave 10 this morning with an Astra SP in a Mergress. BBS capable and still going strong. One thing I have noticed is that my cold water shaving habit seems to shorten blade life. Although it should be better for the the metal - it makes the whiskers firmer and tougher to cut. Anyone have other theories about this?

So, since the beginning of June I've been "extending" my blades. Rather than watching the calendar or counting the shaves I just shave until I get weepers two days in a row.

So far it seems that I'm getting 3-3.5 weeks per blade. Used a Med Prep, an Astra SP, a Lord Platinum, an IP Red, and a "store brand" "made in USA" (ASR for sure) blade.

Good technique means a lot.

When I first joined I thought something was wrong considering the high amount of shaves I got from one blade compared to the "one and done" culture. As with anything shave related, results and preferences vary, but I always felt you can get more than one decent shave from a DE blade.

Does anybody follow any specific regimen (real or imagined) to extend the life of their blades? I rinse mine while still in the razor under cold water, then remove the blade and drip 90% rubbing alc. on both edges to displace the water and any accumulated gunk.

Does anybody follow any specific regimen (real or imagined) to extend the life of their blades? I rinse mine while still in the razor under cold water, then remove the blade and drip 90% rubbing alc. on both edges to displace the water and any accumulated gunk.
Nope - I rinse the blade in the fully closed razor and then strop the blade in the razor 3 to 4 times on each side on my shower towel.

I don't get accumulated soap on the blade at all. I keep the lather very wet and rinse under running water.

I remove the blade after every shave, rinse the blade and razor, wipe them dry with a towel, and put them away. I rotate my razors and blades often, so I may use a different razor and blade combination the following day.
I mark the blade with a felt tip marker to keep track of the number of shaves on it.

I remove the blade after every shave, wipe down under running water and then air dry in the original wrapper.
I am on roughly 65 shaves with a persona lab and it shows no sign of dulling yet. got a bbs on a stahly head which is the mildest razor I have.

Currently on shave # 38 and enjoying the blade thoroughly.

The Shark SS blade has been my favorite for many years.

It starts off with the buttery edge and only gets better by the weeks in usage. My original aim with honing on my technique through long runs on high quality blades was always to be able to enjoy the Sharks even more. I seem to have reached that goal now!

There is something almost magical about using an ordinary blade and enjoying it to its full potential. I am used to running the Shark blade for 4 weeks daily (28 shaves) and the shaves I'm enjoying now are at least on par with the earlier ones.

I have the blade in my #22 Aristocrat for this week. I have been running it in the US '34 (one week), the #15 (two weeks) and the #16 (two weeks), which is about the usual stretch for me. Except of course that I am able to use the blade almost twice as long as usual, by the looks of it now. I am aiming for a 7 week run in the Aristocrats, possibly followed by some shaves in the old type. We shall see where this lands.

Gents: enjoy your shaves, I certainly do enjoy mine! :001_smile

I remove the blade after every shave, wipe down under running water and then air dry in the original wrapper.
I am on roughly 65 shaves with a persona lab and it shows no sign of dulling yet. got a bbs on a stahly head which is the mildest razor I have.
I too used a stahly head today. Its a very good and certainly mild shaver. I can't use a shallow angle though, and for some reason am really liking shallow angles recently. What about you?

The Stahly head geometry is excellent, and for me provides a very nice shave. Occasionally, instead of using it as a vibrating razor, I'll remove the head assembly and install it on one of my favorite handles for an excellent shave.

I too used a stahly head today. Its a very good and certainly mild shaver. I can't use a shallow angle though, and for some reason am really liking shallow angles recently. What about you?

I use a very shallow angle, I get a good shave but not a lasting shave compared with the R41.
I recently made a discovery that gives me a BBS that lasts with a mild shaver.
I was going to write about it but then found a thread that talks about the exact same thing.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/280833-Low-Angle-Shaving-Illustrated

Still can't resist periodically going back to my Personna Blue that I supposedly retired at 101 shaves. Used it this morning for shave 120 in a Merkur 20c long handle, and it performed beautifully, providing a very comfortable near BBS two pass + touch-up shave.

Well I did shave number 70 with a Vintage Schick Platinum Plus blade in a SC New tonight. It is a new record for a single blade for me and way longer than I ever thought I could shave a vintage blade. The shave was exceptional in that it was a two pass no touchup BBS shave. I used Godrej Rich in the red tube face lathered over generic Noxzema face cleaner. I still have no idea how much longer this blade will last but I'm in till the end!

since my last report on this blade I have also shaved a Gillette Nacet blade to 31 shaves and I am also working a Feather in an Aristocrat razor that is at 28 shaves. These blades are also going to be used to the bitter end. I have also started using a couple of different Old Type razors periodically and may put the Schick in one of these for the next few shaves to see how well it does in relation to a New manufactured blade in an Old Type.

i still do not strop blades or remove them from razors except to change the blade to a different razor. While its out I make sure there is no rust or soap scum on the blade and pat it dry.

i now have a stropper a twinplex in very good condition but every blade I have put in comes out no better and most come out unusable.
still haven't been convinced that it works on modern blades. I know it works with vintage carbon steel because I have successfully used it on some NOS carbons and got pretty decent shaves from otherwise unusable blades.

anyway just letting you my fellow knights of the round table know my quest and progress thus far!

good shaving, and good day to you all!

Well I did shave number 70 with a Vintage Schick Platinum Plus blade in a SC New tonight. It is a new record for a single blade for me and way longer than I ever thought I could shave a vintage blade. The shave was exceptional in that it was a two pass no touchup BBS shave. I used Godrej Rich in the red tube face lathered over generic Noxzema face cleaner. I still have no idea how much longer this blade will last but I'm in till the end!

since my last report on this blade I have also shaved a Gillette Nacet blade to 31 shaves and I am also working a Feather in an Aristocrat razor that is at 28 shaves. These blades are also going to be used to the bitter end. I have also started using a couple of different Old Type razors periodically and may put the Schick in one of these for the next few shaves to see how well it does in relation to a New manufactured blade in an Old Type.

i still do not strop blades or remove them from razors except to change the blade to a different razor. While its out I make sure there is no rust or soap scum on the blade and pat it dry.

i now have a stropper a twinplex in very good condition but every blade I have put in comes out no better and most come out unusable.
still haven't been convinced that it works on modern blades. I know it works with vintage carbon steel because I have successfully used it on some NOS carbons and got pretty decent shaves from otherwise unusable blades.

anyway just letting you my fellow knights of the round table know my quest and progress thus far!

good shaving, and good day to you all!

Congrats on shave #70, you're doing great!

I have a number of Twinplex stroppers. One of the issues, is that many times the rollers have dried out and shrunk to the point where the blade doesn't meet the roller with sufficient force to work well. Another issue is not cleaning the rollers of previous small debris that may be attached to the rollers before using the device.

After cleaning the rollers and re-moisturizing them with water, baby oil & glycerin several times and then allowing them to sit for a couple of days to re-swell, you may find your device works better. I have been successful in restoring about half of the Twinplex stroppers I have (about a dozen). Some have rollers shrunk to the point that they just won't re-swell close to the original size.

I have used the functional ones on modern stainless blades with excellent results, especially when using stropping compound. The devices were originally designed for carbon steel, and stainless being harder requires about 4 times the stropping to work well.

Part of my hobby in shaving, is collecting vintage razor blade stropping and sharpening devices. Although many are nothing more than gimmicks, some as very useful, effective and easily restore an edge.

Last edited:
Today I retired the Shark SS blade after 49 daily BBS shaves.

The last shave was with my old type head on an aftermarket handle, Mystic Water Viola di Bosco soap, the Truefitt & Hill 3 bander in porcelain and the Weleda ASB.

About my shaving: I have been forced to develop a good technique because of severe problems with irritated skin in the past. On doctors orders I returned to DE shaving full time eight years ago but I did my first DE shaves in 1980.

Unfortunately my beard growth pattern is quite bizarre, with two 360 degree swirls and two surgical scars after mole removal. I have to shave my moustache area, after the two main directions in each pass, in six additional and non symmetrical directions. These problems have led me to develop a technique most shavers fortunately don't need.

My beard type I would think of as normal, I am of Finnish origin so I don't have a blond light Swedish type of beard. After reaching 59 years of age the whiskers have turned grey and are definitely not as cooperative as in my youth.

My method of shaving consists of a shower, face wash to exfoliate, brush soaking in cold water during shower, cold water shaving with 2 passes (XTG/freestyle + ATG/freestyle), very shallow angle, lukewarm water water rinse and an ASB. I pick up the soap from a puck or apply a stick directly to my face. I apply a generic moisturizer daily. After each shave I strop the blade 4 times on each side on my shower towel while it is in the razor. This stropping I consider more to be a n edge cleaner rather than a stropping in the straight razor sense.

I shave every day and all my shaves for the last six years have been BBS in the strictest meaning of the phrase. I have been DE shaving since 1980 and doing it full time for the last eight years. I use vintage Gillette razors (TTOs and 3 piece) and for me good soaps and sticks mainly from Mystic Water.

During these 49 shaves I have had two weepers and both of them were of course caused by a lapse in my technique or concentration.

Lessons learned from this long run:

1. Although the prep is king, technique is what makes an enjoyable shave easy to repeat.

2. Moisturizing between shaves is essential to keep the shaves enjoyable.

3. My Mystic Water soaps are perfect for me but I do manage to use a traditional stick every once in awhile, especially during warm season. I just have to use more moisturizer and mainly ASBs.

4. The Shark SS is still my favorite blade.

I have been able to extend the useful capacity of the Shark blade from 28 shaves to 49. Considering the quality of these shaves I personally find this a greater achievement than doing 100+ shaves on a sharper blade. All 49 shaves (save for the last one!) were made with my four member Aristocrat family: the US '34 (1 week), British #15
(2 weeks), #16 (2 weeks) and #22 (2 weeks).

Only the fact that these razors were made long before my birth in 1956 keeps me from thinking that they in fact were made for me personally.
:001_cool:

Gents; enjoy your shaves!

Today was shave 20 on an Astra SP blade. Not long by Excalibur standards, but since my longest previous number with this blade was a mere 6 shaves, pretty good so far. But I almost tossed this blade far too early.

Last Thursday on my touch up pass after my regular two passes, I was horizontally buffing a tough patch beside my throat. Somehow the razor which I was holding at way too steep of an angle slipped downward, giving me what turned the worst gash I've had since I started DE shaving. Closed right up with the styptic that I hadn't had to use in months, so I thought little of it at the time.

Then came Friday. Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Usually I wake before the alarm, but not that morning. And I was in a foul mood. The Williams lather wasn't coming together but I slathered it in and shaved anyway despite fading and airiness. Worst irritation in a long, long time. Many weepers. Partially reopened the gash from the previous day. The AS burned and so did my face. All day long. Went to my ususal pre-Excalibur default and blamed the blade which had 16 shaves on it at the time.

So Saturday I didn't shave to let my face recover. Reread some earlier Excalibur posts and realized that I'd neglected my technique. My angle had been too steep and I used too much pressure. I also reviewed the Vez' lathering videos for Williams. Sunday I built a good lather, put that Astra blade back in my ball end Tech, and concentrated on shallow angle and barely any pressure. And got the best shave I'd had in a long time. No irritation even on the still healing gash from Thursday. And the 3 shaves since have been just as good with same razor, blade, and soap.

Just goes to show the importance of technique. Hope none of you other newer gentlemen have to go through that much pain to reach the same realization.

Last edited:
Today was shave 20 on an Astra SP blade. Not long by Excalibur standards, but since my longest previous number with this blade was a mere 6 shaves, pretty good so far. But I almost tossed this blade far too early.

Last Thursday on my touch up pass after my regular two passes, I was horizontally buffing a tough patch beside my throat. Somehow the razor which I was holding at way too steep of an angle slipped downward, giving me what turned the worst gash I've had since I started DE shaving. Closed right up with the styptic that I hadn't had to use in months, so I thought little of it at the time.

Then came Friday. Guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. Usually I wake before the alarm, but not that morning. And I was in a foul mood. The Williams lather wasn't coming together but I slathered it in and shaved anyway despite fading and airiness. Worst irritation in a long, long time. Many weepers. Partially reopened the gash from the previous day. The AS burned and so did my face. All day long. Went to my ususal pre-Excalibur default and blamed the blade which had 16 shaves on it at the time.

So Saturday I didn't shave to let my face recover. Reread some earlier Excalibur posts and realized that I'd neglected my technique. My angle had been too steep and I used too much pressure. I also reviewed the Vez' lathering videos for Williams. Sunday I built a good lather, put that Astra blade back in my ball end Tech, and concentrated on shallow angle and barely any pressure. And got the best shave I'd had in a long time. No irritation even on the still healing gash from Thursday. And the 3 shaves since have been just as good with same razor, blade, and soap.

Just goes to show the importance of technique. Hope none of you other newer gentlemen have to go through that much pain to reach the same realization.

Hey 20 is a great number brother!
And yes I have made the technique mistakes often and tried to blame the blade as well. We all get a bit sloppy or lazy with technique from time to time.

Just out of curiosity, Why do you use Williams if it is so fussy? I have about five different creams that I use interchangeably and they all lather pretty easily and very consistently. I use Godrej an Indian cream that cost significantly less than Williams and produces excellent lather everytime. Palmolive is another excellent performer and only cost a bit more than Williams. If your near a big city that has an India market or food store, many of those carry a few India shave creams and they tend to be very economical.

I get Godrej at one in a nearby city for $2.50 a tube plus sales tax. And I only have to go once a year to get my supplies.

Another idea is to mix the williams with another brand and create your own blend of superlather.

Hey 20 is a great number brother!
And yes I have made the technique mistakes often and tried to blame the blade as well. We all get a bit sloppy or lazy with technique from time to time.

Just out of curiosity, Why do you use Williams if it is so fussy? I have about five different creams that I use interchangeably and they all lather pretty easily and very consistently. I use Godrej an Indian cream that cost significantly less than Williams and produces excellent lather everytime. Palmolive is another excellent performer and only cost a bit more than Williams. If your near a big city that has an India market or food store, many of those carry a few India shave creams and they tend to be very economical.

I get Godrej at one in a nearby city for $2.50 a tube plus sales tax. And I only have to go once a year to get my supplies.

Another idea is to mix the williams with another brand and create your own blend of superlather.

Williams just takes a lot of water and a little more work than other soaps and creams. Check out the W.I.S.E. thread. I use Williams because it gives me a great lather when I'm not lazy with it and it's only $1.15 per puck at my local Winco, tax included. I do sometimes make superlather with Body Shop Maca Root cream which I hate by itself, or with C.O. Bigelow which I love but can rarely afford.

No Indian markets that I know of in my small city. So Godrej would have to be an online purchase.

I have come to a realization that sharp and "shaveability" are two different criteria, I can feel the sharpness on the first shave, every thing after that is pretty much the same, a 75 day old blade and a 2 day old blade seem the same.
I would be curious to see how the blades look under magnification on the 100+ shave blades.
does any one here have one of those fancy microscopes ?
I am thinking it would be fun to see pictures of the various blades that made it to 100 shaves.

Top Bottom