What's new

Excalibur Club - Blade Longevity DE, SE and Injector

As much as I try to resist continuing to use my Personna blue that I retired at 101 shaves, I simply can't resist periodically going back to it for just one more shave. I now have 118 shaves on it, and it still shaves beautifully.
Way to go DonMac. Last time I used med preps and labs I didn't like them all that much. Will revisit!
After a week of using a new blade (for our standards) I went back to an exhausted one and the first couple of passes I had to push hard and I was thinking maybe its time to bin it. The shave was as good as yesterday's but the confort is just superior.

I am both please and concerned with my progress so far. I recently found this thread and have 20 shaves on a Lord Platinum blade ( a new record for me) and it seems to be working fine. While I feel good by not tossing a perfectly good blade it is conflicting with my desire to try a bunch of different blades.

My concern is if I get a month or more from each of my blades I will never need to buy a blade again and I might need to consider who should inherit them!

Ruckin

Ruckin, Rotate your blades as you do your razors. If you use a felt tip marker, simply mark how many shaves on that particular blade and then set it aside until you are ready to use it again.
I too, become bored using the same blade wanting to try others. I actually have a bunch in rotation with varying amounts of shaves on them.

I am using a lab as well, not keeping exact count. I must have skipped about 5 days in total.
I don't do anything to the blade other than rinse and dry after every shave.
I used to change out on the first of every month, but I have been using the current blade thru july and aug, which brings me to my question.
Is a blade ever done? have any of the "excaliburians" here ever managed to use a blade until it can no longer be used and if so
what does the blade feel like at the end?
I wonder what the blades look like under magnification.

Thanks for the rotation advice but I am probably way to lazy to actually make that work. I picked up an ATT S2 and have used it most of this year except when I travel and take my weber or when I have extra time and try to do a pass or two with my straight. I pretty much stick with the same brush (except when I travel). I am almost 3017 my aftershave but SWMBO is not a fan of clove so I use my Cat-o-nine tails on days I go to work and on the weekends I am using up samples trying to figure out what does pass the sniff test.

Today was day 21 with a Lord Platinum and was not a super shave but I believe that it is the fault of my lather and not the blade (was in a hurry and lather wasn't quite right). I am going to heed the advice on this thread and see if 22 works better, but I also have the same question as the vreddy2000 above --> How do I know when the blade is done. or failing that is there some point where the performance starts dropping faster?

Ruckin

How do I know when the blade is done.
When you shave day after day, then suddenly realize that you have a long, full beard.:001_smile

Actually, it may be something you have to find out for yourself by using a blade, or different blades, as long as you can.

When you shave day after day, then suddenly realize that you have a long, full beard.:001_smile

Actually, it may be something you have to find out for yourself by using a blade, or different blades, as long as you can.

Thank you. To go spend time in the den and seek the truth I need.

Ruckin

How do I know when the blade is done. or failing that is there some point where the performance starts dropping faster?

I go by how long the shave lasts. When the shave last 1-2 hours less than when new, I change it out. For some blades it could be 6-10 shaves, for a few as many as 20+ shaves.

For me, correct razor angle is where it's at. You are doing excellent if you are up to 22 shaves on a blade.

You're in the right place!!!:thumbup1:

I go by how long the shave lasts. When the shave last 1-2 hours less than when new, I change it out. For some blades it could be 6-10 shaves, for a few as many as 20+ shaves.

For me, correct razor angle is where it's at. You are doing excellent if you are up to 22 shaves on a blade.

You're in the right place!!!:thumbup1:

This would be easy if you use just one blade and one razor, for me when I use my blade in a tech the shave would last 8-10 hours.
with an R41..easily 12+ hours.
I can't even begin to imagine how you would manage if you have rotation of razors.

My Personna Red blade is being retired at 36 shaves. The stubble is coming back faster now so pretty soon I'll have a full beard after the shave as MisfitWy23 mentioned :). I probably could have gotten more shaves from the blade, but I was also using the steep angle with the Muhle R41 starting around shave 20 just to try it out. Even at 36 shaves per blade coupled with only shaving about 20 odd days a month I could probably go a year on 10 blades. So it's not near 100 shaves per blade, but it would still take me 10 years to go through a 100 pack!

My Personna Red blade is being retired at 36 shaves...
This is a highly respectable result with one of my favorite blades considering the steep angle.

IMHO it's not realistic to expect anything close to a hundred shaves from this mere mortal blade. I am trying to stretch the Shark SS to 7 weeks (49 shaves) presently. After that I will try the red IP. :001_smile

Enjoy your shaves gents!

Here I am to confess my new "a la Excalibur" adventure. Out of a sudden I made something strange.

Yesterday I made my lather from Bond Speedmaster Aloe cream (Polish brand with excellent ingredients, some of them are used for eye medicine production). Excellent lather, just excellent. It was so good that I just could not flush down the drain the rest of it. Maybe that was the reason why I just lefl it in the bowl. I always felt sorry to flush nice lather, so...

Today I had no plans to use this lather. I found it strange looking - some bubble watery stuff that does not look as lather at all. Anyway I just took it and whipped with my brush and after 10-15 seconds with some additional water it was the perferct lather again. I was sure that nothing could happen with lather except of some water has evaporated. So I just used it for my shave. Excellent shave, everything like always, maybe smell was less intense.

I think I found a way to extend my lather life and not to waste it without any good reason... Sure will do that again if I can repeat the same result.

P.s. it has nothing to do with cost of cream/soap, money savings or ecology - I just hate to flush good lather.

Update: I did it for the third day. That is the same good lather, but no original smell. Added some water and got it in 15 seconds. Excellent shave.

Last edited:
Just checking in. I went on a nostalgia kick and tried shaving with a Wilkinson Sword. I shaved with vintage Wilkies in the 1970s and 80s until the local pharmacy switched to Gillettes. Back then, I would swap my blade at the first shave of the month whether it needed it or not.

So far, I've got 28 shaves on my modern Wilkinson Sword (not the Gillette Wilkinson Sword). I much prefer very aggressive razors like my shimmed Fatip, but all these shaves are on a relatively mild late-40 English Rocket. No flipping, no stropping. Blade is still perfectly smooth and effective. I knew these blades existed, but I always assumed they were junk. I'm going to toggle between the Wilkie and the PolSilver SI, which has 26 shaves on it before trying a new blade from my samples.

Recently went 33 shaves on an Astra SP.
Then I took a couple of days off and couldn't get it dialed in. Switched out to a new blade (Lab blue I think) and now on shave 7 with this one.

I retired a Lord Platinum yesterday after 26 shaves. I found myself in the afternoon thinking that hmm my shave could be alot closer. Wow this morning I did my normal two passes and then started looking to see if I needed touch up around the jaw line... nope! I don't think there was anything wrong with the last blade but the shaves didn't seem to be lasting as long as I would like.

Ruckin.

I retired a Lord Platinum yesterday after 26 shaves. I found myself in the afternoon thinking that hmm my shave could be alot closer. Wow this morning I did my normal two passes and then started looking to see if I needed touch up around the jaw line... nope! I don't think there was anything wrong with the last blade but the shaves didn't seem to be lasting as long as I would like.

Ruckin.

I just happen to be using Lord Platinum right now as well. I'm on shave 20 today, and going strong. I can't really tell any difference from my usual Feathers at 20. Will be interesting to see if I get to my normal 50 shaves or so, or if I start having trouble with it. It's very nice right now - no real fall-off for me yet.

I'm officially applying for membership in the Excalibur brotherhood. I started reading this thread in early August and decided to try going beyond my usual blade a week. The Gillette Nacet was next up in the sampler so I loaded one in my ball end Tech and started my Excalibur journey, concentrating hard on prep, angle, and reducing the number of passes from 3 with touch ups to 2 with touch ups. Yesterday was shave 22 with that blade, but lots of burn afterward just as on the previous day, so I retired the blade. Still, over 3 weeks of great shaves with a blade versus my previous one week per has opened my eyes to the possibilities of blade longevity.

Today I loaded an Astra SP, my go to reference blade which works the best for me. Only blade I've purchased in bulk so far. Bought 200 off that auction site. I'll see how many shaves I can take it. But I foolishly did 3 passes because I had so much lovely Williams lather this morning and got some irritation. A second application of Pinaud Clubman later in the morning helped with that. Will go back to 2 passes tomorrow.

Extending blade life appeals to my inner miser. I really am in this to save money. I use Williams Mug Soap or Arko stick mostly, my ball end Tech I got off that auction site for $8 shipped. And either Pinaud Clubman, AV Ice Blue, AV Musk, or Avon Spicy from thrift store. All that to say I'm hoping to use as few DE blades as possible for extreme cost savings. The only downside is that it will take longer to try the rest of the blades in my West Coast Shaving sampler. I got the big one. I'll keep you gents updated.

I'm officially applying for membership in the Excalibur brotherhood. I started reading this thread in early August and decided to try going beyond my usual blade a week. The Gillette Nacet was next up in the sampler so I loaded one in my ball end Tech and started my Excalibur journey, concentrating hard on prep, angle, and reducing the number of passes from 3 with touch ups to 2 with touch ups. Yesterday was shave 22 with that blade, but lots of burn afterward just as on the previous day, so I retired the blade. Still, over 3 weeks of great shaves with a blade versus my previous one week per has opened my eyes to the possibilities of blade longevity.

Today I loaded an Astra SP, my go to reference blade which works the best for me. Only blade I've purchased in bulk so far. Bought 200 off that auction site. I'll see how many shaves I can take it. But I foolishly did 3 passes because I had so much lovely Williams lather this morning and got some irritation. A second application of Pinaud Clubman later in the morning helped with that. Will go back to 2 passes tomorrow.

Extending blade life appeals to my inner miser. I really am in this to save money. I use Williams Mug Soap or Arko stick mostly, my ball end Tech I got off that auction site for $8 shipped. And either Pinaud Clubman, AV Ice Blue, AV Musk, or Avon Spicy from thrift store. All that to say I'm hoping to use as few DE blades as possible for extreme cost savings. The only downside is that it will take longer to try the rest of the blades in my West Coast Shaving sampler. I got the big one. I'll keep you gents updated.

Wellcome to the club!
You better leave your extra lather for tomorrow than get burning for extra pass - lather does not loose its quality. Maybe not all soaps/creams does work, Florena does for sure

Here I am to confess my new "a la Excalibur" adventure. Out of a sudden I made something strange.

Yesterday I made my lather from Bond Speedmaster Aloe cream (Polish brand with excellent ingredients, some of them are used for eye medicine production). Excellent lather, just excellent. It was so good that I just could not flush down the drain the rest of it. Maybe that was the reason why I just lefl it in the bowl. I always felt sorry to flush nice lather, so...

Today I had no plans to use this lather. I found it strange looking - some bubble watery stuff that does not look as lather at all. Anyway I just took it and whipped with my brush and after 10-15 seconds with some additional water it was the perferct lather again. I was sure that nothing could happen with lather except of some water has evaporated. So I just used it for my shave. Excellent shave, everything like always, maybe smell was less intense.

I think I found a way to extend my lather life and not to waste it without any good reason... Sure will do that again if I can repeat the same result.

P.s. it has nothing to do with cost of cream/soap, money savings or ecology - I just hate to flush good lather.

Update: I did it for the third day. That is the same good lather, but no original smell. Added some water and got it in 15 seconds. Excellent shave.

Gytis,
I do the same thing. When I am finished with the lather, I simply wipe off the outside of the mug, leaving the remaining lather inside. It makes little sense to me to rinse out perfectly good lather, and then start a new lather when I want to use that particular soap again. I have multiple shaving mugs with different soaps in them as I enjoy the variety. I rotate my shaving soaps frequently and may leave a fully lathered soap puck in a mug alone for a month before I use it again. I have not had a problem re-lathering any of the soaps. Matter of fact, when I go back to a particular mug, the lather builds much faster. Although it doesn't look as tidy with the dried lather slightly caked on the inside of the mugs, it works just fine.

Finished shave #79+ on my Schick Plus Platinum blade this morning; still working well. I will not tolerate a dull blade, and when I note a decrease in performance, I'll leather strop the blade a few times. If that doesn't restore it to a keen edge, I'll bin the blade.

Top Bottom